Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would I play classic World of Warcraft rather than Project 1999?

pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
I only learned today that classic World of Warcraft had launched in August. As I look at the $13 subscription fee, I ask myself, Is there any reason to play this over Project 1999? No doubt I can anticipate many answers to this question, being that you can play it without a party, &c. But in terms of good gameplay, I see no reason to play this over Project 1999. If there were a reason, I expect it would be subtle and something that one might easily overlook in an analysis. It would still have the same problem of cheaters and twinks, and annoying people. And yes I could play it by myself, and somehow ignore my fellow players, and pretend these kind of people did not exist. But so could everyone else, and when finally I reached level 60 (big supposition here) and played with other players, I would find the truth very soon. Level 60 in Everquest is much different than level 60 in World of Warcraft. So I hear there was a surge of players in World of Warcraft, and it was making the news. Shall we just assume these are part-time gamers? I see no reason not to. In terms of ideals the game seems inferior in every way to Everquest. And this is coming from someone that does not exceptionally like Everquest, and wishes he could play Nexus, Meridian 59 or Lineage on a full server. But we can't, and I see these as the only two populated forces in online RPGs. What say you?
SinsaiCaffynatedalkarionlog

Comments

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited October 2019
    Stupid post, they aren't even the same type of game. Everquest and WoW cater to very different gamers.
    GrandpaDJSinsaiPalebanepantaro
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    You can raid on WoW, you can't raid on P99.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Wow classic is the ultra casual mmo that sent the genre in a downward spiral. 
    pantaroGeeky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Because you like one over the other?

They are different games. 
    GrandpaDJ
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Stupid post, they aren't even the same type of game. Everquest and WoW cater to very different gamers.
    Touche, but a useful answer though. I was not aware that they did. As far as I see it, an older online RPG is just that. Notwithstanding though five or six years lay between them. But I know World of Warcraft was the last of its kind.
    Utinni said:
    This is effectively true, for I understand all guilds on Project '99 use microphones, but I was not aware it was absolutely true. And I presume they all use microphones in World of Warcraft too. Another reason these games are not really authentic recreations.
    edited October 2019
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    This is effectively true, for I understand all guilds on Project '99 use microphones, but I was not aware it was absolutely true. And I presume they all use microphones in World of Warcraft too. Another reason these games are not really authentic recreations.
    Regardless of communication you won't be raiding on P99. Not even on green that launches in 2 days. Voice comms existed for WoW launch though. Ventrilo came out in like 2002.
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    Regardless of communication you won't be raiding on P99. Not even on green that launches in 2 days. Voice comms existed for WoW launch though. Ventrilo came out in like 2002.
    Yeah green a big disadvantage of Project '99, though no reason to play World of Warcraft. But what do you mean I can't raid on it? This must be some kind of metaphor.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Also, which should I watch? Pulp Fiction or Sesame Street? 
    GrandpaDJ

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    Yeah green a big disadvantage of Project '99, though no reason to play World of Warcraft. But what do you mean I can't raid on it? This must be some kind of metaphor.
    No metaphor. Literal. P99 typically has one guild in control of 90% of raid targets. In a vanilla state one guild will control 100% of raid targets, indefinitely.
    cheyaneSinsaiPalebane
    edited October 2019

Very well said! Yet when you look at that genre, of the games before World of Warcraft that have been recreated and still have players in sufficient numbers, Project 1999 is the only one. So that would then make WoW Classic the number two online RPG now, would it not?
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    No metaphor. Literal. P99 typically has one guild in control of 90% of raid targets. In a vanilla state one guild will control 100% of raid targets, indefinitely.

Well it wouldn't matter to me. I don't play RPGs to use microphones. I figure if you're using a microphone in an RPG, those kind of hijinx are part and parcel. All kinds of people play Project 1999, that's a large online RPG for you. Either you like it or you don't. But it doesn't get any better than that game, as it stands now, or else I am wrong (which is why I made that thread). You are saying that you preferred instanced raids to open world. Well I do not. And I think in that respect Everquest was superior.
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Utinni said:

Well it wouldn't matter to me. I don't play RPGs to use microphones. I figure if you're using a microphone in an RPG, those kind of hijinx are part and parcel. All kinds of people play Project 1999, that's a large online RPG for you. Either you like it or you don't. But it doesn't get any better than that game, as it stands now, or else I am wrong (which is why I made that thread). You are saying that you preferred instanced raids to open world. Well I do not. And I think in that respect Everquest was superior.
    Never said what I preferred. I raid on P99. I was just warning you that you won't be able to.
    Sovrath said:

Well that choice is obscured by a necessary $13 payment. As to your comment that "they are different games", I think you could be more respectful. That adds nothing to this thread.
    pkpkpk said:
    Sovrath said:

Well that choice is obscured by a necessary $13 payment. As to your comment that "they are different games", I think you could be more respectful. That adds nothing to this thread.
    So in fairness, you never said in your original post that you never played World of Warcraft so let's not go looking for monsters in the closet shall we?

It seemed a very odd question and therefore my answer. Having been on these forums for years and years I've seen odder questions, questions where people are literally wanting others to make up their mind on "which game to play" but they don't supply any criteria or preferences.

And you offer "Level 60 in Everquest is much different than level 60 in World of Warcraft" Which seems to infer that you know both games and know what it takes to get to that level in each. So again, "odd question."

Not everyone on game forums are out to get you.

Also, a $13 dollar payment shouldn't dissuade you. Or any payment for that matter. it's not that much and these games, if played regularly offer way more entertainment for a meager amount of money.

Otherwise we could list all the differences between the games, one being actually old school, one taking those old school design decisions and streamlining them, one being more of a quest game, one being more grindy and much more slow. 
    GrandpaDJvandal5627

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    edited October 2019
    Neither. Play Project Ascension when Season 5 releases soon if you want to experience some actual hardcore gaming.
     I've been here a while...
    pkpkpk said:
    Sovrath said:

Well if you're unemployed then definitely play P99. It's a game built for that.
    jimmywolfCaffynated
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2019
    Wow Classic, still isn't the original wow and the only good features in the new one were not taken over so no thanks :3.

Bodies were removed, No Transmogs, and from what I hear no Twinks with high level gear it's not 100% the same.
    pantaro
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'll be honest, this is a pretty dumb post. Different flavors for different folks. Its like asking why did people play vanilla over EQ back in the day, or FFXI, UO, RO.....people liked different things...
    Sovrath said:
    pkpkpk said:
    Sovrath said:

So in fairness, you never said in your original post that you never played World of Warcraft so let's not go looking for monsters in the closet shall we?

It seemed a very odd question and therefore my answer. Having been on these forums for years and years I've seen odder questions, questions where people are literally wanting others to make up their mind on "which game to play" but they don't supply any criteria or preferences.

And you offer "Level 60 in Everquest is much different than level 60 in World of Warcraft" Which seems to infer that you know both games and know what it takes to get to that level in each. So again, "odd question."

Not everyone on game forums are out to get you.

Also, a $13 dollar payment shouldn't dissuade you. Or any payment for that matter. it's not that much and these games, if played regularly offer way more entertainment for a meager amount of money.

Otherwise we could list all the differences between the games, one being actually old school, one taking those old school design decisions and streamlining them, one being more of a quest game, one being more grindy and much more slow. 
    I am perfectly content if various people on the Internet find my posts strange.  As online games in general have been devastated by money grubbing, and their enormous popularity, there has grown a large gap between serious gamers and the other people. I generally just hold my finger on the ignore button as I look over posts. I am not altogether sure why I am explaining this. I will say that of online games that concern me there is only a very narrow range. I tend to cringe and escape from most discussions of video games. I actually do not like the principles of video games at all generally in the second half of the '90s or the early 2000s, but when it come to online games, that was their golden age, at least as far as I can judge. So here I am on the Internet discussing these few vestiges of a devastated age with anonmyous people. I suppose that some might think somewhat like me, I know the great majority do not though. So I am glad you expounded on the reasons why you think my question is strange. Yet every thread I write on here will deal with games from World of Warcraft and earlier, and seeking knowledge from others about these. If I might say, I find it strange that someone with over 20,000 posts on an MMORPG forum will still presume people sought elementary discussions of them. Yes I played World of Warcraft, I was a high warlord and got there playing 20 hours a day or more in college.  I also played EQ very often in 2001 and 2002. It seems to me you think these message boards are for elementary discussions. I do not know why.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited October 2019
    pkpkpk said:

Very well said! Yet when you look at that genre, of the games before World of Warcraft that have been recreated and still have players in sufficient numbers, Project 1999 is the only one. So that would then make WoW Classic the number two online RPG now, would it not?
    By that logic mobile games are the best games ever created. Might as well go play the lineage mobile mmo instead. 

Also a small correction to a previous post, WoW is but the last of its kind. It’s the first mutation.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what you said. Care to elaborate?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    pkpkpk said:

I am perfectly content if various people on the Internet find my posts strange. 
    They would find them much less strange if you would use paragraphs.
    SovrathQuizzical

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited October 2019
    pkpkpk said:
     I find it strange that someone with over 20,000 posts on an MMORPG forum will still presume people sought elementary discussions of them. Yes I played World of Warcraft, I was a high warlord and got there playing 20 hours a day or more in college.  I also played EQ very often in 2001 and 2002. It seems to me you think these message boards are for elementary discussions. I do not know why.
    Well, if you are ok with people finding your posts strange then I'm sure you will be ok with people being confused by your posts. 

So yeah, I found your post confusing. And "no" I don't think they are for elementary discussions, not even sure what you mean by that. 

Also, "yeah" if you were to use paragraphs they would be much easier to read.

In any case "good luck" with your decision.
    Amathe

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Amathe said:
    Also, which should I watch? Pulp Fiction or Sesame Street? 
    That's not fair !!!!... World of Warcraft has a lot going for it and can be for adults too. Comparing it to Sesame Street !! 

Only kidding, I don't care :)

Mendelpantaro
    pkpkpk said:

By that logic mobile games are the best games ever created. Might as well go play the lineage mobile mmo instead. 

Also a small correction to a previous post, WoW is but the last of its kind. It’s the first mutation.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what you said. Care to elaborate?

Well if you want my opinion on the good old days of online RPGs, it was just as few as you saw before they began to degenerate. Meridian 59 (1996), The Realm (1996), Nexus (1996), Tibia (1997), Lineage (1998), Underlight (1998), maybe Asheron's Call and Everquest (1999), maybe Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, and Runescape (2001), probably Shadowbane (2003)...Fairly hard to say without any experience of half of them. World of Warcraft the first mutation? What about Final Fantasy XI on the Playstation 2 in 2002, or Everquest: The Online Adventures in 2003? Or Maple Story or Ragnarok Online in 2002? A lot of things can be said about these last two, but that they are reminiscent of the early days of graphic MUDs, or seemed to be pioneering themselves in the field, I would not. And how about Everquest's expansion the Planes of Power in 2003?I was very young then, but ran like the wind. And after all World of Warcraft came out the same time as Everquest II, and that was not a bad game, just generally pointless in view of the original. The reality though is other than Everquest none of these early games exist today, with an appropriate amount of players and in their original form, and so here I am discussing Everquest and World of Warcraft. Classic MMOs are very rare.  But we can cite Everquest II (2004) and Shadowbane (2003) as games of a different breed than later ones, and so World of Warcraft, released in the same year as Everquest II, is a good contender for that. More specifically the quests in the game gave a reason for what you were doing, which games such as Ragnarok Online and Lineage 2, to my recollection, did not. But sure call it what you will; I am only speaking to my memory, I don't remember a game after World of Warcraft, other than Vanguard and TERA (which I don't consider part of the older age) that impressed me at all. Based on this thread so far, I do not see many reasons to play World of Warcraft. And I grant my memory of 14 years ago may be faulty, but so far it does not seem to be so. The only reason to play World of Warcraft classic may be that the owners of Project 1999 spoil it, which is not unlikely with the release of the new server.