Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there people who actually solo 100% of the time in mmorpg?

124»

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:

* In reference to @Amathe 's WOW example of everyone grouping in dungeons but not actually interacting socially in any manner.

Also I am not counting, for example, the guy that burped and farted into the microphone the entire run. 
    AlBQuirkyKylerankitaradRungar

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    MMORPG solo play is slower ... which means less XP and booty ... but there's advantages to be had.

First, you can really explore the landscape and set challenges.

Second, you don't have to tolerate losers, trolls and Sources of Considerable Irritation on your team.

Third, there's no such thing as afk — so pizza, beer & pee breaks can flow seamlessly alongside the gaming mayhem.

That said, great groups allied to great adventures is an unbeatable combo.

Just have to watch for zerg runs.

What could be more annoying than when you can't see the bad guys for all the damage stats raining down on their collectively hapless ass?
    AlBQuirkyDibdabs
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    There is a mode called Iron man on old school runescape which is solo play, get all items on your own, cant trade or use Auction House and you cant get loot from player kills in the wild as an iron. There is also Solo Self found mode on other games such as Path of Exile. So yes people do take on the challenge and infact as mentioned above developers go so far as to add these popular modes to there games to make it official.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

* In reference to @Amathe 's WOW example of everyone grouping in dungeons but not actually interacting socially in any manner.

Also I am not counting, for example, the guy that burped and farted into the microphone the entire run. 
    Didn't anyone tell him not to have the microphone open without push to talk. What an ass! Who the hell wants to listen to that. Muted immediately if it were me.
    AlBQuirky

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I solo'ed quite a bit in EQ1 as a necro, but raiding with the guild are my best memories.
    Dibdabs

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    kitarad said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

Didn't anyone tell him not to have the microphone open without push to talk. What an ass! Who the hell wants to listen to that. Muted immediately if it were me.
    Weirdly enough you learn to get used to it and overlook the background noise.  My current group of in game friends run with open mics and everyones background noises and conversations lead to some interesting interactions.

Seems strange I know, like I said, you get used to it.  Then again, I raised 3 children, had several dogs, many cats, birds etc. so we always had a lot of background noise in my house.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited October 2019
    I hate grouping in MMOs for various reasons, namely the holy trinity. It's absolute garbage waiting on a, say, tank player for hours in a queue. That's a huge waste of time. 

I love grouping in MMOs with fluid classes and/or when I have a constant party, but that's hard to comeby in my 30s. 

Thus I play some SWTOR (who knew you could solo fashpoints now!), Gw2 from time to time when I feel like it especially because my hero is fluid and I can do everything solo BUT i don't mind joining the zerg in the current halloween event or some dynamic event. I love having people around that would resurrect me (or I'd resurrect them). I love having all the loot to myself. 

tl;dr - I'd team up in a game like Gw2 but in a game like WoW, fuck grouping. 

In looter shooters however (like Warframe, Destiny, Borderlands) I love teaming up with people. It's just so easy and natural. 

MMOs have made grouping a real chore. To the point there I'd rather tryhard solo a group content (possible in Gw2) than trying to create/manage a group in a game like WoW.

Like back in the day when dungeons were popular in Gw2. I'd solo or duo with my gf Arah dungeon with shit gear and I'd get the bragging rights because even 5-stacks with comms failed it. 
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    kitarad said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

It was the guild leader. I left the guild.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited October 2019
    What a pally tank said on WoW tanking 

Apart from the fact that tanking indeed means a higher responisbility, it can simply be the most annoying experience in group content.

• While you give your best, you observe how a Dps collects the stupid herb for the quest in the Wailing Cavern.
    • While you give your best, you observe how a Dps collects uses the stupid “mailbox” for respective quest in Gnomeregan
    • No Sheep, no Counterspell, no Silence, no whatever
    • You ask the group kindly to start their hardcore layz0r damage after you got hit one or two times or after you casted your Consecration. Either it will be ignored or, after it really worked well for some time, people become careless again
    • After your speech - ideally you also mentioned that you are Pala and you don’t possess over a Taunt, you run bravely to the enemy mob, and while doing so you suddenly notice a Frostbolt or an arrow is overtaking you
    • You try to LoS pull, but ist doesn’t work because everyone feels obliged not to stay behind the corner, but to show his nose
    • You feel more comfortable when pulling very cautiously: “Please pull more”, “That takes way too long”…

The strange thing is: The same habits of Dps-players I loathe to the bones when tanking, I tend to show myself when playing a DD, or it requires iron discipline to not do so. The Dps-existence is somwhow more lighthearted it seems…

This is why people tend to solo or just have groups of convenience where they group with another person in the same area doing the same quest and avoid other forms of groups like in dungeons. If not for the items I would skip dungeons too as a tank. 

AlBQuirkyNarugDibdabs

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Its simple for me I dont want to do anything that forces me having to get on voice chat and Listen to cussing and fussing 24 7.  
    CryomatrixRungarAlBQuirkykitaradDibdabs
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    ... Paladin without taunt ?

Must refer to some very specific game I guess.

Anyway, yeah of course. If you have a PUG, people might do bad things. *shrug* What else did you expect, anyway ?

... and for the record, its much LESS annoying to be a good tank in a PUG and having to constantly rescue people than to be a DD in a PUG and having a tank that sucks big time.

In the former case you still feel competent and useful, also you train your skills. In the later case you're uselessly standing around because using your spells gets you killed.