Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Schiit Audio Magni/Modi DAC and Headphone Amp Review

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSchiit Audio Magni/Modi DAC and Headphone Amp Review

As enthusiasts, we like to push. We push our graphics in the latest video games. We push our computers to higher clock speeds. We even push ourselves to grind out that one more level before giving in for the night. Today, we’re turning our eyes (and ears) to audio and exactly how we can push our listening experience. Whether it’s games or music, the Schiit Audio Magni/Modi stack is the headphone amplifier and DAC combo to take your listening to the next level.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Bad name.
    RemyVorenderPanther2103mkliniclotrlore[Deleted User]ThaneIselinAmathecheeba
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Looks like complete schiit to me.
    Amathe

Mend and Defend

• TablixTablix Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I have some input, I know the company, and they are VERY well spoken of in the more audiophile forums. If you care about your audio having an external dac/amp is a wise decision, but the number of options is huge. I cannot make any personal testimony but you can find lots of reviews of their range on sites like head-fi.org

If you have some pricey headphones having a dedicated headphone amp can actually yield real benefits, or indeed some powered monitor speakers. Moving the DAC portion outside of your computer can also clean up your sound.

Personally I use a more pro audio dac, but these a much nicer looking for a home or office. If I had the money and the need I would seriously look at schiit product line.
    GameByNightcheeba
  • AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I have owned this combo for over 2 years and I can say it's awesome. I did a lot of research before purchasing, and I can say the audio quality is amazing. I use it primarily for gaming and the audio output is extremely clean and precise. Music of course sounds amazing through it, but for games, it really does enhance the sound, and I almost always use my headphones for games that rely on precision audio to locate where enemies are coming from. Just wanted to share my experience with this setup, I use DT990 headphones with them.
    GameByNightcheeba
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Bad name.
    If it's not Schiit it's crap!
    cheeba
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    These go to 11.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Mike and Jason know their audiophiles well.  This is a budget friendly model.  But preforms like a more expensive unit. 

Author your distortion on the 990Pros and your mb most likely was caused by the GPU.  Its a big reason people are getting back into sound cards and/or DACS/Amps.  Its easier to pick up at high Ohm usage.  Cranking the volume makes it even more noticeable.  And some GPUs are worse than others.

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I won't even wear my $20 headphones. lol
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/