Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Traditional realm servers. (poll)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
It's not a matter of being stuck in the past, but looking at population control solutions ..... Despite being hassle free, would you vote Traditional realms ? 
Traditional realms and servers
  1. Pick one8 votes
    1. Yes, I like triditonal realms
      87.50%
    2. No, their are better ways
      12.50%
TEKK3N

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2019
    I've played Everquest 2 twice in the past few years.

First time was normal style with a low population,
    Their were five shards and each had their own extremely low populations.... I spent considerable amount of time bouncing to each.  All-in-all if they were merged together the starting zone would have had a nice comfortable population over all.

Infact at the end of the tutorial zone was a cave that was considered a two person group quest to finish it.  This could have easily been skipped, but I insisted on finding another player..... I spent an hour bouncing from one replica to another only to find no one waiting at the entrance.... At first thought you would think if no one waiting on all five it can't be done anyway.... But the point was having to bounce shards five times felt game breaking. 

I simply skipped it, but it made me think, will the entire game be like this with a low population ?...... and it was.... it was a lonely 30 days of seeing one player on shard one, and one shard two, and maybe two more shard three..... No designer took the time to delete shards.

Second time, two weeks into the new Time Lock servers,
    Here the populations were much better but still the populations appeared low.  Sure the chats were linked, but the world still looked lonely. 

I vote for Traditional servers, I want to view everything. I want to know everyone.  It makes me feel better :)  
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I think you are asking should Pantheon be designed around characters being locked into a single server as was done in the early years of EQ1 and other games.

Is so that would be my preferred approach in order to build more of a community but not sure what Brad and team have in mind.
    AmatheConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited October 2019
    I like being locked onto a server because that is important to community building. I enjoy getting to know the people on my server.

Servers develop personalities. For example, I miss my old SWG server LOWCA - affectionately known as Look Out We Crashed Again. 

It's also important to the consequences of reputation. If you are obnoxious, you thin the ranks of people who will group with you. Which helps deter being obnoxious.

I hate when I log on and am just assigned to some random bunch of people. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    I hate when I log on and am just assigned to some random bunch of people. 
    One of the better features of FO76 born from it's small random world/instance design is the abilty to join your friends on whatever world they are logged in on.

An interesting observation I noticed is after I started regularly joining some new friends who are long time players is their friends do similar so even if only one is online when I join within an hour or so a standard group of regulars also joins the server. 

This even extends to rivals, more caustic raider types will join up to create mischief and they are becoming as well known as the friends are.

Not sure if more modern MMORPGs provide similar friend tracking and joining tools but if one did it could be a decent solution to the issue of constantly being tossed in with a bunch of randos especially on mega servers or games with a large number of players.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm not sure how I feel about this one, so I didn't vote.  Servers/Realms don't really have any impact on me, unless they have different rules, like various flavors of PvP.  Adding dedicated servers with distinct rule sets means more work for the developers.  Moving characters from server to server isn't something I've ever done.  If choosing a server involves some choice, I'm happy to live with whatever choice I made.

"Traditional" could mean pretty much anything, from multiple servers running complete worlds, to servers cooperatively running parts of a single world, to a single server where all characters live.  I *think* the underlying issue with how these are set up has to do with logins and security more than anything else.  In most cases, it seems that the underlying server operating system where the server runs determines how many concurrent users can be active.  So, the solution for server queues is a better operating system.  This is probably a task well beyond the capabilities (and budgets) of most MMORPG developers.  They choose Windows or a Unix derivative and simply build their game to comply with the restrictions of the OS.  Then they administer and live with the results.  (Another reason why I think that COE is going to have significant difficulty delivering their promised 100,000 characters per server, btw).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Wow.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Why yes I want no instancing. And I want to log into a specific server that has a unique name. In short I want to be in a clearly defined world in which I can find people I know, meaning a community.

One can merge servers, if game population gets too low - but one can certainly not hand characters wildly around like WoW does, because that completely destroys the experience.

I guess as a scaling mechanism so a server can handle unlimited amounts of players I would be fine if a server to have multiple clones of the gameworld as long as you know in what clone you're currently in and as long as you can intentionally change from one clone to another clone so friends can agree upon which clone they want to pick and play together.

Kind of like Vanguard handled the Ancient Port Warehouse.

You could still freely send /tells between the different gameworld clones, and /who for friends, and of course see whos online in your guild or your group or raidforce, but otherwise the server clones would be disconnected and could be freely moved around the physical game servers. The devs could even make it so that servers would startup if theres too many players and shut down once theres no longer enough players.

I would be even fine if that was a general mechanism if too many players would log into a server a new clone of the gameworld would be created and if the newly loggged ins want to make a group with people already on that server, the other players would have to move to the new gameworld clone because their original one would be too full.

One could even have a "I'm chatting/crafting/afk/dont care what gameworld clone I'm in" mode which allows the server to freely move you around in order to allow people to move to gameworld clones that otherwise would be too full.

One could even sort of make a game out of it, every clone gets a random name and such a clone will shut down after the last player left it. So people would probably start trying to keep gameworld clones running.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Define your terms.
    edited October 2019
    svann said:
    Define your terms.
    I don't play the "define" game, I don't define anything. 
    Kyleran
    svann said:
    Define your terms.
    You sorta have to here.  There is no common usage for "traditional" in context with MMORPG servers that I'm aware of.  The original question (and poll) simply implies that you have some specific idea for what you mean is "traditional", but everyone is left to guess what you mean.

svannKyleran

I took a guess at what traditional meant and ran with it.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    I took a guess at what traditional meant and ran with it.
    So did I.  No idea if that's what he wanted to discuss, though.

Kyleran

svann said:
    Define your terms.
    Without knowing what you are asking your question is meaningless.   You are defined by what you do and what you say, whether you like it or not.  Do you want to be meaningless? 
    Kyleran
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    And what about Standard Realm Servers?
    I prefer those ones.

PS: You don’t know what I mean?
    Neither do I!
    But it’s a Delete thread, so anything goes!
    Kyleran
    svann said:
    svann said:
    Define your terms.
    Without knowing what you are asking your question is meaningless.   You are defined by what you do and what you say, whether you like it or not.  Do you want to be meaningless? 
    I'm not understanding what your asking here.  What I do and what I say ?
    I'll need a LOT more information, could you please explain ? 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:
    I think you are asking should Pantheon be designed around characters being locked into a single server as was done in the early years of EQ1 and other games.

Is so that would be my preferred approach in order to build more of a community but not sure what Brad and team have in mind.
    Assuming this was the intended question:

The idea that gaming with a smaller group of people made it easier to build community sounds good. There should be an element of truth in it as well but there is also falsehood. 

The actual idea - if you spell it out - is gaming with the same smaller group of people. Added word: same. And therein lies the falsehood. A server's population did not stay the same.

In the case of EQ1 and WoW this falsehood was masked since these enjoyed healthy population gains post launch. Gains that hid the fact that people were leaving. On its 5th anniversary SoE spoke of over 50% churn; Blizzard when it announced 100M accounts revealed that on average 10M people a year left.

These are not numbers that speak of a static population. Hence the embedded falsehood in the assumption.

And with other games the population loss was more obvious: AO, AoC, WAR, SWTOR, CoH, DAoC, LotR. And server "mergers", full or partial, didn't help community. 

And - let us not forget - that population numbers were continually increasing. Darkfall was 10K; SWTOR's increased capacity to 20-30K. And WoW with MoP introduced clusters and more recently layers.

Companies would be foolish to refuse what now is available. Server mergers are the pits when it comes to community.

Are there any lessons though?

One that springs to mind is ESO. Now on the face of it ESO is one of the last games one would think about as being a model for "community building". 6 worldwide servers only; 3 US, 3 EU for PC, XBox, PS.

Yet embedded within each server is a PvP centric "world". With the population of a campaign at any one time being capped at c. 6K. And guilds dedicated to PvP have developed with very - very - strong community bonds. There is still churn of course but they exist. (Note: there are a few campaigns on each server and guilds often operate on more than one but its still pretty small - 50K say.)

Now is this because of the PvP side of things? Is it something about PvP? Trade guilds exist as well in ESO but they are not the same. Or is it something about the population cap on a PvP campaign? 

Is it some combination of a) purpose and b) a population cap?

If so these conditions could be replicated.

I don't see why not. A server capacity might be 1M or 10M. No need whatsoever for any mergers. Within that though you have "virtual servers" that you choose - or are placed? - in. Virtual server with some sort of population limits (that might vary) and some sort of "description" - why you might want to participate in this server.

And maybe communities will form on these virtual servers. If they don't however no dramatic mergers.
    Kyleran
    edited October 2019
    svann said:
    svann said:
    Define your terms.
    I'm not understanding what your asking here.

What do you mean when you ask about "traditional realms"?  If you refuse to say then your question is meaningless. 
    Post edited by svann on
    Kyleran
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    svann said:
    svann said:
    Define your terms.
    I'm not understanding what your asking here.  What I do and what I say ?
    I'll need a LOT more information, could you please explain ? 

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    svann said:
    You are defined by what you do and what you say, whether you like it or not. 
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

- RUSH
    Kyleran

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    yes, no, maybe.... I don't know. Can you DEFINE the question?
    Amathe said:
    svann said:

- RUSH
    WoW,
    The quote from Rush......I say this all the time !  
    It really is true, more so in the spiritual aspect.  
    edited October 2019
    Amathe said:
    svann said:

- RUSH
    WoW,
    Everything I needed to know in life I learned from music lyrics.  ;)

While Rush was insightful, how can it compare to lyrics like these from Tech Nine?

"151 Rum, pineapple juice and Malibu
    Caribou get them all numb
    Make baby girl come, out of her shell and raise hell
    We gon' party 'til the cops come"

Seriously....

B) 
    Amathe

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    svann said:

- RUSH
    WoW,
    Everything I needed to know in life I learned from music lyrics.  ;)

While Rush was insightful, how can it compare to lyrics like these from Tech Nine?

"151 Rum, pineapple juice and Malibu
    Caribou get them all numb
    Make baby girl come, out of her shell and raise hell
    We gon' party 'til the cops come"

Seriously....

B) 
    Life is a highway
    All the cops in the donut shops go way-o way-o
    Late December back in 63, what a very special time for me.....or was it September. 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I think he means do we want pantheon to be single player or hosted online via servers to play with others.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited October 2019
    Poll was too boring and too vague to bother.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter