Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition Impressions - The RPG Files - MMORP

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageDragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition Impressions - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

As Dragon Quest XI S starts, your tasked with climbing a mountain in your town as your coming of age ceremony. What you find there are monsters waiting to waylay you. However, something goes awry and as you're saving your friend something strange happens: a sigil on your hand glows a mysterious light and suddenly you're both safe. Your adopted mother tells you you're special and all of a sudden you're off on a journey. This begins your adventure in Dragon Quest XI S.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Man I loved this game so much, I hope they offer a DLC of this version for PC. If not looking forward to Dragon Quest 12.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    As this is my first entry into the series I am said to say that I have missed out tremendously. So happy I decided to dive in, I am now a fan.
    Tiller
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    The Switch is becoming THE JRPG system.

Between this, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles remastered, and so many more, there is a lot to enjoy on this system.
    vandal5627onelesslight
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    I just finished playing DQ XI (normal edition) on PC. My first foray into JRPGs since Final Fantasy VII. It was quite fun and very relaxing to play. Definitely recommended on pc or switch. *salute*
    Tiller
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 557

Aeander said:

Between this, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles remastered, and so many more, there is a lot to enjoy on this system.

All it needs is Persona 5...
    Tiller
    lotrlore said:

Aeander said:

I'd love that, but it's probably not gonna happen.

Now, SMT V needs to get itself out of development hell sooner rather than later.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Aeander said:

lotrlore said:

Aeander said:

Now, SMT V needs to get itself out of development hell sooner rather than later.

when they made smt4?, I remember SMT 1 and 2 nocturne would be the 3rd, persona is a spin off, same for devil survival and radou kuzunoha, even digital devil saga 1 and 2, but sure I don't remember smt 4

even noturne with both versions one with Dante and the other with Radou, pretty much same skills and damage only diference was the skins
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Aeander said:

lotrlore said:

Aeander said:

when they made smt4?, I remember SMT 1 and 2 nocturne would be the 3rd, persona is a spin off, same for devil survival and radou kuzunoha, even digital devil saga 1 and 2, but sure I don't remember smt 4

even noturne with both versions one with Dante and the other with Radou, pretty much same skills and damage only diference was the skins
    2013 on the 3DS.
  • Uriel7474Uriel7474 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I own both ps4 and switch versions of this game and I adore it. I can't wait to see what they do for DQXII. I have always enjoyed JRPG's and always wished the DQ, Ys, Tales and the like were more popular in the west.

As much as I will play a non eng dubbed localised title, I enjoy them on a whole extra level when they are dubbed with quality VA like DQXI. I was very pleased with the VA in DQXI and hope we get many more JRPGs like it, I also hope they leave options for those who enjoy them in their native spoken language as an option as well. Kudos DQ Devs
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

About time for Nintendo to take the crown back from Sony.

I'm almost done with DQXI on Steam. It's a very good game, but man it is long and slogs at some points and especially the "end". The combat and progression systems in XI just aren't tight enough. In some places the game starts to feel a little tired and starts to go through the motions of "this is what JRPGs do at this point in a game". Then it finds its footing again and gets going. I might put it down for a while and come back later to do the last little bit.

My other criticism is that crafting isn't very fun to me, but it's rather important to have upgraded gear in some late game fights. The system also discourages upgrading until you get end game gear because you're just wasting precious resources up to that point.

Some characters and a few sub plots really carry the game for me. My default late game line-up is Luminary, Jade, Rab, and Selena. I swap Erik and Sylvando in for certain enemies and bosses.
    Those are fair criticisms.

I actually found the crafting in this one fun/interesting. It was a charming little pacebreaker with an aspect of randomness and tension to it. It was a minigame in its own right.

And I say that as someone who almost universally despises crafting systems as the boring, shoddily implemented chores that they almost always are.
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:

About time for Nintendo to take the crown back from Sony.

I'm almost done with DQXI on Steam. It's a very good game, but man it is long and slogs at some points and especially the "end". The combat and progression systems in XI just aren't tight enough. In some places the game starts to feel a little tired and starts to go through the motions of "this is what JRPGs do at this point in a game". Then it finds its footing again and gets going. I might put it down for a while and come back later to do the last little bit.

My other criticism is that crafting isn't very fun to me, but it's rather important to have upgraded gear in some late game fights. The system also discourages upgrading until you get end game gear because you're just wasting precious resources up to that point.

Some characters and a few sub plots really carry the game for me. My default late game line-up is Luminary, Jade, Rab, and Selena. I swap Erik and Sylvando in for certain enemies and bosses.
    Not gonna lie, I found points in the game slow as well, and found myself needing to grind on slime island for easy XP. It is a long game, with the typical anime tropes, but I still like it. I did not finish the true ending because it required lots of back tracking and crafting to make the sword needed to defeat the final boss. Anyways at that point I needed to get going on some other games on my back log. I hope they fix many of the issues from DQ11 for DQ12.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet

As far as Square goes, I actually tend to find that their one-off IPs have more passion and creativity. Games like Octopath seem to be the outlet through which Square actually express themselves while Final Fantasy bafflingly struggles with its identity and Dragon Quest remains traditional to a fault.
    [Deleted User]
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    loved it cant recommend it enough , the game gets better and better on every step :D , its true that some points are "ugh when thats gonna end" ! but its an amazing jrpg !

Aeander said:
    As far as Square goes, I actually tend to find that their one-off IPs have more passion and creativity. Games like Octopath seem to be the outlet through which Square actually express themselves while Final Fantasy bafflingly struggles with its identity and Dragon Quest remains traditional to a fault.
    Some folks had pretty mixed feelings on Octopath Traveler.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• VagabondoVagabondo Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Good game. 

Not great, mind you, but very good. I enjoyed the time i spent playing it.
    Tiller said:
    Aeander said:
    Some folks had pretty mixed feelings on Octopath Traveler.
    Some folks have pretty mixed feelings about literally everything.
  • WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    How does the Switch version compare to the PC version. I played through much of the game on PC then took a break. The break was too long and now I need to start over. I like playing games on the Switch. Is this one worth getting for the Switch or stick with the Steam version?
    How does the Switch version compare to the PC version. I played through much of the game on PC then took a break. The break was too long and now I need to start over. I like playing games on the Switch. Is this one worth getting for the Switch or stick with the Steam version?
    The Switch version is the best version. It comes with an additional 2D classic mode (which is essentially a new game and has new content), a fully orchestrated soundtrack, companion missions, and quality of life improvements.

And well, being able to sleep mode and play in handheld is great for a long JRPG.

Aeander said:

The Switch version is the best version. It comes with an additional 2D classic mode (which is essentially a new game and has new content), a fully orchestrated soundtrack, companion missions, and quality of life improvements.

And well, being able to sleep mode and play in handheld is great for a long JRPG.

What about graphically?

Aeander said:

What about graphically?
    Comparable to other consoles. It's not competing with what a high end PC is capable of.

Aeander said:

Aeander said:

What about graphically?

Comparable to other consoles. It's not competing with what a high end PC is capable of.

Nice! Thank you. I think I'll be getting it then.
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

OG_Zorvan said:

I enjoyed the PC version. Want me to buy a Switch? Make a new Suikoden and put it on there.

A new Suikoden would be TIGHT... I miss that series.
    Relampago
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Neat.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    edited October 2019
    Beat the game on PC but did not do any of the post end game stuff. Ended up moving on to another game. I will eventually go back for the Steam achievements though. Big fan of Dragon Warrior/Quest series.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The Switch version is getting more content than all the other versions?