Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FINAL FANTASTY VII REMAKE - APS Boss Battle + Ifrit Summon

KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875

dekkion1IceAgemoshraPhryvandal5627jimmywolfMargrave

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    That .. was pretty amazing!

I was..skeptical at first regarding the combat, but after seeing this fight, I must say that I will enjoy it a lot. Maybe..not as much as the original, but .. is there! :)
    moshravandal5627jimmywolf

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2019
    Here's my main issue with this whole remake. They're essentially treating each disk as an 'entire experience' with a full price attached. Now for people that haven't played the game before, that's fine (and honestly this was how Hitman was down when they still published it), but for me, that's always going to muddle my decision on this, especially given how we don't know how cross between "episodes" will work, like do we take everything from the first one into the second or do we have to start over? Since that's now how the XIII trilogy worked. Or if we are able to, what about those people who decide to start on episode 2? Too many things unanswered about all of this imo, especially with the "1st class edition" costing 330$ (KEEP IN MIND THIS IS EPISODIC).
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Oh no, they've turned summons into pets :(
  • KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875
    acidblood said:
    Oh no, they've turned summons into pets :(
    you mean because they come and stay for a while instead of leaving immediately after doing their special, either way they still pets
    moshra
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Albatroes said:
    Here's my main issue with this whole remake. They're essentially treating each disk as an 'entire experience' with a full price attached. Now for people that haven't played the game before, that's fine (and honestly this was how Hitman was down when they still published it), but for me, that's always going to muddle my decision on this, especially given how we don't know how cross between "episodes" will work, like do we take everything from the first one into the second or do we have to start over? Since that's now how the XIII trilogy worked. Or if we are able to, what about those people who decide to start on episode 2? Too many things unanswered about all of this imo, especially with the "1st class edition" costing 330$ (KEEP IN MIND THIS IS EPISODIC).
    Everything you've mentioned here holds no weight for me personally.  The only thing I was hesitant on was changing the battle system.  Looks great to me though.
    Phryvandal5627
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Don't particularly care that much if it is released in 'episodes' but i do care if it will be released on PC or not as that is my preferred platform. :/
  • atonicoatonico Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Yes, it is real, finally :smile:

I think they added combos, or am I wrong? Tifa + Cloud + Red should be awesome

And since the Summons stay in battle, instead of doing a summon, I am curious to see how they implement knights of the round xD
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I still think the original FF7 is one of the best games ever made and I play through it on average once a year.

But, I still have no real interest in this new remake. That video sure did look pretty, can't deny the awesomeness there. But, the combat looks garbage to me.

First, it looked like you could only control one character at a time and if you wanted another character to do something specific, you had to manually switch to them. So, immediately off the bat you are controlling 1/3 of what you did before.

Second, button mashing! I was trying to pay attention to how often the buttons were pressed, and it was a hell of a lot compared to the original. No thanks.

Finally, movement around the environment. It kinda seemed a bit pointless as each character, and the enemy, seemed to be able to jump/teleport good distances in order to land a hit. Just seemed like a mess.

The magic of the original combat system was it's depth. There were so many possible combinations of characters, gear and materia that you could build some really interesting squads. Then in combat (when it was challenging anyway) you really had to think about what skills to use and when, there were always counters and wrong moves you could make.

It really looks like they've removed pretty much all that depth.

I shouldn't be surprised though. the final fantasy series stopped investing money into good combat systems a long time ago, in favour of spammy faux-action combat shit. Goes over better with the under 12s I guess, so maybe I've just outgrown the series. I never cared about the story lines (I hate story in computer games), I just wanted to explore the world, fight interesting creatures and progress my abilities.
    [Deleted User]
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    I still think the original FF7 is one of the best games ever made and I play through it on average once a year.

But, I still have no real interest in this new remake. That video sure did look pretty, can't deny the awesomeness there. But, the combat looks garbage to me.

First, it looked like you could only control one character at a time and if you wanted another character to do something specific, you had to manually switch to them. So, immediately off the bat you are controlling 1/3 of what you did before.

Second, button mashing! I was trying to pay attention to how often the buttons were pressed, and it was a hell of a lot compared to the original. No thanks.

Finally, movement around the environment. It kinda seemed a bit pointless as each character, and the enemy, seemed to be able to jump/teleport good distances in order to land a hit. Just seemed like a mess.

The magic of the original combat system was it's depth. There were so many possible combinations of characters, gear and materia that you could build some really interesting squads. Then in combat (when it was challenging anyway) you really had to think about what skills to use and when, there were always counters and wrong moves you could make.

It really looks like they've removed pretty much all that depth.

I shouldn't be surprised though. the final fantasy series stopped investing money into good combat systems a long time ago, in favour of spammy faux-action combat shit. Goes over better with the under 12s I guess, so maybe I've just outgrown the series. I never cared about the story lines (I hate story in computer games), I just wanted to explore the world, fight interesting creatures and progress my abilities.
    they just do normal attacks on there own tho instead of just standing there like the orginal
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Is this a single player game? Cameltosis, was the old system turn based?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No question it is visually appealing but i can't tell what the combat is like because it looks flashy newish,somersaults and jumps which is not my cup of tea.I tried so many times to like FFVII but to me it is one of the worst structured games in the FF series.I still prefer FF5 which is sort of what FFXI was structured around.

The problem i have with the visuals even though the characters and creatures are stunning,overall it looks like a mobile port.The reason is likely that trying to add a lot of models/assets in view and being of hq will cause massive lag,so they took the easy route and just left it as an empty space,fighting on some bathroom floor tiles.

Even still if they actually changed the character and combat design i might be willing to try it out.If it is just a visual change,then no thanks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KingNaidKingNaid Member UncommonPosts: 1,875
    It looks like mmo combat to me
    Jamar870 said:
    This is a single player game.

The original was turn-based, yes. Each character and enemy had a gauge that filled up and when you hit the top, you could attack. Whilst you were choosing what attack to use, all other characters gauges paused, so you could take all the time in the world to choose what attack to make.

There were also options for changing this. For example, you could speed up / slow down the global gauge timer to increase/decrease the speed of battle. There was also an option to stop other characters waiting whilst you chose your attack, making it more real-time (if you didn't pick an attack, the enemy would just keep on pounding you).

The beauty of the original combat system was the depth it offered. You had a large range of types of attacks and magic abilities, enemies had a large variety of resistences and attacks, and you actually had to make meaningful decisions during combat. It wasn't flashy or particularly fast paced, but it was extremely tactical. This was backed up by the meta-game of how to level and spec your characters.

Admittedly, the game was pretty easy for the most part so you could just bash + heal all the time if you wanted, but the challenging encounters forced you into some interesting tactics.

From what I could see from this video, it looks like they're removing some of that depth and tactical focus and replacing it with flashy graphics and button bashing. To be fair, that has been the trend with the final fantasy series for a while, which is why I never got my hopes up for this remake.
    [Deleted User]
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Jamar870 said:

The original was turn-based, yes. Each character and enemy had a gauge that filled up and when you hit the top, you could attack. Whilst you were choosing what attack to use, all other characters gauges paused, so you could take all the time in the world to choose what attack to make.

There were also options for changing this. For example, you could speed up / slow down the global gauge timer to increase/decrease the speed of battle. There was also an option to stop other characters waiting whilst you chose your attack, making it more real-time (if you didn't pick an attack, the enemy would just keep on pounding you).

The beauty of the original combat system was the depth it offered. You had a large range of types of attacks and magic abilities, enemies had a large variety of resistences and attacks, and you actually had to make meaningful decisions during combat. It wasn't flashy or particularly fast paced, but it was extremely tactical. This was backed up by the meta-game of how to level and spec your characters.

Admittedly, the game was pretty easy for the most part so you could just bash + heal all the time if you wanted, but the challenging encounters forced you into some interesting tactics.

From what I could see from this video, it looks like they're removing some of that depth and tactical focus and replacing it with flashy graphics and button bashing. To be fair, that has been the trend with the final fantasy series for a while, which is why I never got my hopes up for this remake.
    I enjoyed the combat of old as well and I think they are giving it to us?  Not 100% sure it will be the same.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/14/20865479/final-fantasy-7-remake-classic-mode-turn-based-option-tgs-2019

• VagabondoVagabondo Member UncommonPosts: 68
    One of the greats of all time..

..Maybe a PC port is in the works?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited October 2019
    Not gonna make a joke about the horns and in that frame and the gasp @ 0:00, nope must resist making jokes.  :D

0:00 what was that gasp? lol sounded like an anime sound effect.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Glad they kept the music.
    KingNaid
    Chamber of Chains
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Only takes place in Midgard for the first one. So no bro squad when you can pick your team.
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    FF7  <3 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Jamar870 said:

Turn based mode is available for the remake also. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Utinni said:
    Jamar870 said:

Turn based mode is available for the remake also. 
    Thank you gods of gaming from the bottom of my gamer's heart.

Jamar870 said:

I enjoyed the combat of old as well and I think they are giving it to us?  Not 100% sure it will be the same.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/14/20865479/final-fantasy-7-remake-classic-mode-turn-based-option-tgs-2019

Thanks very much for the link!

Didn't know they were attempting a "classic mode". Admittedly, the way that article talked about it does not sound like classic at all. The article states "The player does not need to do anything and the character fights automatically, charging up their ATB Gauge." There was no such thing as automatic attacks in the original.

What it sounds like to me is that they've given all characters a basic attack (the auto-attack mentioned in the article) and that this basic attack is the action-combat portion of the game, whilst selecting a skill when at full ATB gauge is more like the original.

The episodic nature of the remake means I'm unlikely to play it anyway. The original game was only about 30 hours of gameplay to get to the final disc, then either another 2-3 hours to complete the story, or maybe 50 hours if you did all the optional extras. Getting out of Midguard was maybe 4 hours of gameplay. They still haven't told us how they are going to expand that 4 hours into an entire game's worth. My suspicion (and worst nightmare) is they'll just add tons of cutscenes and story elements. One of the beauties of the original is that the story was told a line at a time, the average conversation was maybe 5 lines of text. That was more than enough to convey what was going on without boring you to death like later final fantasies.
    [Deleted User]