Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Explained =current state=

goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
Star Citizen Explained for the average Joe, the clueless, the misinformed, and those in denial.  I haven't donated anything, waiting for release, but this is the only game I've seen in the last 10 years or more, that goes back to the core foundation of PC gaming where I started.  Pushing the limit of everything, and yes your computer sucks and this game will most likely barely be playable until you upgrade, just the way I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngP6uEfQoE&t=277s
WalkinGlennNorseGodKyleran[Deleted User]RemaliIselinErillionAgent_JosephmmolouCryomatrixand 3 others.

Comments

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    By the time this game releases it will be playable on what would be considered a DOS game in comparison to the hardware available at the time (IF) by some slim slim chance this thing even releases.
    NorseGodMaxBaconRemaliZenJelly[Deleted User]
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited October 2019
    >hateful insults
    >hasn't "donated" anything
    >but not misinformed because he watched a youtube video

AsheramAgent_JosephMauroDiogoboris20moshraRich84JeroKane[Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2019
    By the time this game releases it will be playable on what would be considered a DOS game in comparison to the hardware available at the time (IF) by some slim slim chance this thing even releases.
    That argument has been posted and reposted for many years about SC by some.

And let's look at the MMO genre today SC is quite ahead as its whole, and that is with the game unfinished as is because it's not complete graphically either. 

When one goes look at the top upcoming MMOs discussed on this site, Patheon, AoC, CoE, DU, CU, etc... If an upcoming MMO will push to give use to the hardware releasing in upcoming years, SC seems to be the one for now.
    WalkinGlennZenJelly
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    MaxBacon said:

And let's look at the MMO genre today SC is quite ahead as its whole, and that is with the game unfinished as is because it's not complete graphically either. 

When one goes look at the top upcoming MMOs discussed on this site, Patheon, AoC, CoE, DU, CU, etc... If an upcoming MMO will push to give use to the hardware releasing in upcoming years, SC seems to be the one for now.
    SC:  Finally complete and ready for release in 2026, but is so dated looking by that time, it requires 2 more years for a complete graphics makeover.
    NorseGod
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    But can it run Star Citizen?

In all seriousness though, it would be nice if at least one thread regarding SC wouldn't devolve into people attacking each other and claiming that will never release or is going to be the best game ever made, all of that has been said over and over again...

On a side note: It is interesting to see Digital Foundry take on the technical side of SC, I hope they keep doing it in the future.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    goboygo said:
     Pushing the limit of everything, and yes your computer sucks and this game will most likely barely be playable until you upgrade, just the way I like it.

But the question is....when will I have to upgrade?  2021? 2024? 2027?  Hard to plan with no idea when or if this game will ever launch.
    NorseGod

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Sabrac said:
    But can it run Star Citizen?

In all seriousness though, it would be nice if at least one thread regarding SC wouldn't devolve into people attacking each other and claiming that will never release or is going to be the best game ever made, all of that has been said over and over again...

On a side note: It is interesting to see Digital Foundry take on the technical side of SC, I hope they keep doing it in the future.
    Err, did you even read the OP?  If one is going to throw down the gauntlet, they should not be surprised if someone else picks it up.
    NorseGodcheebamoshraAmathe

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Reinstalled the game today out of curiosity.
    Beautiful graphics of the ships/buildings, actually getting better with time - you've got to give them that.

What's scary is the amount of bugs in the game. I play the game about once a year, and each time it's a huge hassle. It's an exhausting, buggy mess. The only time I genuinely enjoyed the game was in 2014 when they just released Arena Commander.

The underlying physics engine is struggling - even walking around your own ship feels like a constant hazard of clipping through.

The "base" game is probably 4-6 years away, if they decide to actually focus on a launch. The state of the bugs suggests a release is not their focus.
    NorseGodnewbismxsgelKylerancheebaBeezerbeezJeroKane
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Maybe my grandchildren will buy new pc to play it
    But to be honest bdo looks better and it was released in 2015 and its not a 20 player lobby
    NorseGod
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2019
    MaxBacon said:

SC:  Finally complete and ready for release in 2026, but is so dated looking by that time, it requires 2 more years for a complete graphics makeover.
    The graphics develop with the game, the hard part for any improvements is if the actual assets need redoing but they already do those on high quality (they actually reduce the quality of the implemented asset for performance rn) so those global improvements such as lightning, VFX, etc... are not such a daunting problem.

At the moment the Vulkan framework is being implemented (dropping DX11) that is already a solution ready for years to come.

So with the continuous graphical development and the technology they did/do in the back for it, I do not expect any big hurdles for them to be able to "keep up" with standards for years to come.

Going the MMO direction forcefully pushes back how far graphics can go anyways so the MP environment performance is viable, it's a more strict performance budget there.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    laxie said:
    Reinstalled the game today out of curiosity.
    Beautiful graphics of the ships/buildings, actually getting better with time - you've got to give them that.

What's scary is the amount of bugs in the game. I play the game about once a year, and each time it's a huge hassle. It's an exhausting, buggy mess. The only time I genuinely enjoyed the game was in 2014 when they just released Arena Commander.

The underlying physics engine is struggling - even walking around your own ship feels like a constant hazard of clipping through.

The "base" game is probably 4-6 years away, if they decide to actually focus on a launch. The state of the bugs suggests a release is not their focus.
    I think it's pretty clear what their focus is.  It has not much to do with a complete game and everything to do with keeping the millions rolling in.
    newbismxSandmanjwNorseGodRemalisgelWalkinGlennlaxieJeroKane
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Anyone want to guess when the SC apologists will stop saying "but games like this take this long to develop"? My money is on 2022. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited October 2019
    Wait til the VR stretch goal starts
    Agent_Josephthamighty213JeroKane
    edited October 2019
    Iselin said:
    Anyone want to guess when the SC apologists will stop saying "but games like this take this long to develop"? My money is on 2022. 
    I don't think so, as long as they keep receiving crumbs....err content, I'm not sure they'll ever demand a finished game, at least for the greater version.

If the single player game launches and doesn't suck it probably buys the multiplayer version another 5 plus years of continuing donations,  especially if RI decides to tie in progession from the single player game into it in some fashion.
    NorseGodnewbismx

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    NorseGod said:
    >hateful insults
    >hasn't "donated" anything
    >but not misinformed because he watched a youtube video

Creepy picture for sure!     The You Tube video isn't for me it's to hopeful allow someone to see the state of the game and better understand the scope of this project, its insane, it's borderline improbable but it moves along regardless, pushing the bounders of everything.   It's been a long time perhapes never, since a developer tried to build a game of this scope.  Clearly, as in lots of posters on this site,  being used to the 1 year COD cycle or the 3 year we have to ship a game to stay in business cycle, have never seen something like this being built. I guess I can understand the reaction, the hate, the doubt, the jealously, the bandwagoning, etc, etc.  that seems to infect allot of people.

If your a gamer, for real, a creator, an adventure, an entrepreneur at heart, an evangelist for our hobby, you would be excited for this project and its scope.  If your none of those things, then again I guess I can understand the aversion to something like this.

Even if this game never completes and the funding stops, the knowledge gained by these developers and its staff, the ideas and technology that has been created to date will filter out to other games.

Its awesome to see a developer try someone that no one else has attempted at this scale.  I hope they full-fill their vision.
    ErillionWalkinGlenncheebaAgent_Josephatonico
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited October 2019
    goboygo said:
    NorseGod said:

Creepy picture for sure!     The You Tube video isn't for me it's to hopeful allow someone to see the state of the game and better understand the scope of this project, its insane, it's borderline improbable but it moves along regardless, pushing the bounders of everything.   It's been a long time perhapes never, since a developer tried to build a game of this scope.  Clearly, as in lots of posters on this site,  being used to the 1 year COD cycle or the 3 year we have to ship a game to stay in business cycle, have never seen something like this being built. I guess I can understand the reaction, the hate, the doubt, the jealously, the bandwagoning, etc, etc.  that seems to infect allot of people.

If your a gamer, for real, a creator, an adventure, an entrepreneur at heart, an evangelist for our hobby, you would be excited for this project and its scope.  If your none of those things, then again I guess I can understand the aversion to something like this.

Even if this game never completes and the funding stops, the knowledge gained by these developers and its staff, the ideas and technology that has been created to date will filter out to other games.

Its awesome to see a developer try someone that no one else has attempted at this scale.  I hope they full-fill their vision.
    If you were such a fan and believed in this studio as much as you say you do, then why haven't you threw some money at it?

I spent $220. I guess I'm a bigger gamer than you by your standards.
    KyleranAgent_Joseph
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    goboygo said:

Doubtful. Usually simple ideas spread the best. For example battle royale, survival games, or global auction house for MMOs. Most of Star Citizen's ideas are too much about adding complexity and costs that they'd spread well.
    Kyleran

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    NorseGod said:
    goboygo said:
    NorseGod said:

If you were such a fan and believed in this studio as much as you say you do, then why haven't you threw some money at it?

I spent $220. I guess I'm a bigger gamer than you by your standards.
    That's a completely different topic/subject/philosophy.  I can dissect it if you like.
    NorseGod
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    So if you don't believe in this project succeeding then you're not a gamer? Get over yourself. SC backers will keep throwing money at this game as long as they keep getting bread crumbs. It blows my mind.
    [Deleted User]NorseGod
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    What's really gonna suck is when they spend 10+ years developing this game, launch it and the content vultures swoop in, gobble through the content in six months and move on to the next hot game.
    [Deleted User]Agent_JosephRemaliNorseGodJeroKane
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    H0urg1ass said:
    What's really gonna suck is when they spend 10+ years developing this game, launch it and the content vultures swoop in, gobble through the content in six months and move on to the next hot game.

Yep. This is pretty well it. Or if it just sucks, and everyone figures that out in the first couple of days.
    NorseGod
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    H0urg1ass said:
    SC: mining, trading, bounty hunting, racing, exploring etc. Yes there are mission givers but "kill 10 rats" rather than "epic overarching quest based story".  

"Content vultures" should be looking to SQ42. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I don't understand how a game that has so many employees and so much money can take so long with no sign of even being in beta status.
    NorseGodJamar870Scot