Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Repetition - Boring or Relaxing?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
edited October 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
This post is about a gaming issue, not any particular game. 

What to do about repetition in online games seems to be a core "patient zero" level issue? 

One person feels he has to "grind" to advance. Another finds that exact same content pleasurable and calming. One guy thinks putting together 1,000 items to progress in crafting is maddening. Another lady thinks this is relaxing. And of course, raiders kill the same boss 100 or so times to get everyone on the raid team geared. Others hold their nose at that prospect.

Some may say "well, it's not whether there is repetition - it's whether it's interesting and entertaining." That sounds reasonable. But personally I think it comes down to how much repetition you can tolerate, and if it's a low threshold, no one can make that entertaining for you. Ask yourself, how many times in a row will you play your favorite song? My fraternity brothers will tell you that for me, it's 50 or more until people want to choke me. My tolerance for repetition is sky high.

As an example, I remember the original Sim City. That was so relaxing! Plunk down this. Plunk down that. Time for a police station! I used to while away my evenings in repetitious bliss. Then they kept improving on it to add tons and tons of variables and decision making. I quit playing. I don't want to solve a f**ing puzzle. I want to lay train track in perfect little rectangles. 

It's the same with combat. We can't have some guy spamming one button! That would be shallow and repetitious! We need 20 abilities that all interact in some way with one another to make them more or less useful at any given time. Because that's more, what, cerebral? Ok, sure. It's also more stressful and less relaxing. I study the characters and choose the one that comes closest to just pushing one button lol. Finding that is harder than it sounds, btw.

This issue ties into another one, which is whether you are trying to prove yourself or distinguish yourself in game? Because of course, if major game objectives can be achieved simply by doing mindless stuff again and again, what does that prove? Mostly it proves either that you enjoy repetition or that you have the strength of will to grit your teeth and do what you hate.

And that has always been a part of mmorpgs. I am level 57. You are level 20. For you to get to where I am, do you know all the miserable shit you will have to do? Success is in part achieved through the status of having done lousy things others blanche at doing.

Let's face it. There's going to be repetition. It would cost a zillion dollars to design without it. Whether you like that or hate that really depends mostly on whether you are a "repetition is fun" or "repetition stinks" kind of person.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AlBQuirky

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    I find grinding fun and relaxing, I get into the whole visual of combat. I find crafting to be extremely tedious and boring.

If I find that I have to do things I don't like in a game, and do them a LOT, I don't play it.

AmatheKyleranAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I think all day for a living, often in high-stress, big money situations. Turns out, I enjoy mindless MMO grinding. Took me a while to realize that for some reason. I also like only clicking a few skill buttons over and over. For example, I loved grinding skeletons in BDO for weeks on end, but couldn't stand the ACTION combat and combos. Right now, I'm really enjoying WOW classic as a holy priest. Target mob, click DOT, click bubble, click wand, watch and repeat.... :) 

I also understand the proving yourself stuff. I hated when original WOW went "easy-mode." Like, "hey, it took me months to get xyz thing! and now you get it just for showing up? wtf!" 
    AmatheAlBQuirky
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited October 2019
    I think it really depends on the pace at which you're getting rewarded for the repetition.

Like, in GW2 you grind for achievements that unlock other achievements that have you grind for more achievements to complete those achievements which unlocks more achievements that you have to grind to complete those achievements which then gives you a crafting item then you have to grind gathering mats or grind gold to buy the mats so you can craft other crafting items that are used in a recipe to finally create the item that you're after.

That kind of thing is abysmal. It's not just boring, it's soul destroying.

Then you have games where you can grind, get lots of loot, make lots of money or earn levels/skill/crafting points along the way. The rewards for what you're doing are coming in thick and consistently.

That kind of thing feels like progression and progression can be all someone needs to feel like their time is well spent even when they are hardly putting in any effort.

I define grinding as being forced to do something that you don't want to do in order to get the thing you want or be able to do the thing want to do. If you want to do the repetitious part in the first place, it's not grinding.
    AmatheKyleranAlBQuirky
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I don't mind repetition if there's something to be learned.  For instance, fighting games have a lot of repetition but I never get bored of them.  There's always room to improve your technique and timing.  Even though the fights are between same set of characters and the moves don't change, each fight is unique in it's execution.

Button mashing games get dull quickly because the outcome is predictable and the fights are all identical in execution.
    AlBQuirky

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    It really depends on what you're doing. I think it's a matter of pacing.

Fast paced repetition (like in Dynasty Warriors or Diablo) is something I find quite relaxing. It's part of the power fantasy.

Grinding on a typical MMO is not something I tend to find enjoyable. It's slow, dull, and has no stakes. 
    AlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I generally prefer to mix things up. In games like WOW or ESO I tend to quest, grind if my quest takes me somewhere with good density and fast re-spawns and queue for group dungeon PUGs while I do all of that. That used to be a pain in ESO and WOW before they added level scaling since running a couple of dungeons meant you needed to constantly drop quests and leave zones when you  out leveled them. It's the main reason why I do like level scaling: you can just pick up where you left off after dungeon runs.

But I do deliberately repeat content when playing alts though. I start them in a familiar zone and do what I said above with them. I do it just to get a subjective feel for the alt compared to previous runs with other builds/classes through the same content. So I guess that means I don't mind repetition as long as I'm doing it for a specific reason.
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Very good question, @Amathe.  Typically, I look at this slightly differently.

Repetition is a symptom of static content.  Everything changes, but not the game.  The content becomes familiar, and everything familiar can become repetitious.  Like you pointed out, every individual has a different tolerance level for repetition, so it becomes difficult to address at the symptom level.

I feel as if I become easily bored when I'm not intellectually engaged by the game.  I can play a game of Hearts of Iron III (a WWII organizational-level wargame from Paradox) time and time again.  Games can run for days, and a lot of this is mechanically repetitive -- build units, move units, assign leaders, etc.  But the game engages me at a more intellectual level -- what do I want to do, how can I achieve this, and how will the computer react.

MMORPGs typically only have the repetition.  These types of games, with their static content, tend to focus only on those mechanical operations.  Once the "newness" of the game wears off and the content becomes familiar, the mechanical game play only offers limited opportunities to do things differently.  In HOI3, as Italy, I can build an Infantry force and attack Yugoslavia, or I can find a way to attack Spain.  If I get really daring, I can try to invade Brazil. 

MMORPGs feature more scripted worlds.  Newbie zones A1, A2, A3, A4 lead to low-level zones B1, B2, B3 which in turn prepare you for C1, C2, C3, etc.  The content is static, even if the path of progression is relatively flexible.  It's almost a situation where it is "one from column A and one from column B", a menu for gaming predetermined challenges.  While the journey may be different, everyone that fights Boss_7 in zone C2 has an identical experience, and every time I fight Boss_7 in zone C2, my experience will be essentially the same (with variance provided by the RNG).  No matter if I attack from the left, take a short-cut and attack from the rear, or do something odd and drop down onto Boss_7, it's always going to react in the same way.

This is another factor in why I'm frequently pleading for the genre to evolve.  Without stronger AI applied to the goal of dynamic content creation, all games eventually can become less stimulating through repetition.  It simply costs too much and takes too much time for humans to script entertaining situations and reactions.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    I think grinding could be made more fun with some "special" mobs here and there. Kinda like a beefed up version of the mob. Like in diablo how they have a special mob with added attributes that make it tougher. No reason they couldnt do that in an mmo too.

Mend and Defend

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I´ve been playing Monster Hunter since the PSP, I think I like grind. Not so much in my MMOs though, funny thing.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I recall in Vanguard the crafting was actually carpel tunnel crafting. I really had to quit because of it. Of course having 6-7 crafters in that game would cause carpel tunnel.

Thing is it is the progression and what you have to look forward to. A goal. What is your goal. Mine was to make a new house. I made the bricks everything, I had a crafter for every piece of furniture and the house construction itself. I did grind but because of my goal of building the house itself it was a part of the satisfaction of seeing the house in the end. I didn't really give the grind much thought I just did it. I won't say it was relaxing because my wrist started to ache. 

However seeing my house made it all worth it and I did not consider the grind a horrible thing. It was like a badge something you earned and your reward was the result. It is repetition but crafting in Vanguard was not mindless you had to pay attention or you do not react to the cues in time and the resulting product was sub par.

Occasionally I spend time just killing mobs and that can be relaxing, not for quests or anything just grinding experience. It all depends on my mood. Or you could spend time collecting resources like killing boars for skins to craft. 

In other times you could just run dungeons over and over again and in a way that can be boring too but if the dungeon is fairly challenging or your role is demanding it may not be boring. The circumstances will decide that in the end.

AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Repetition can be boring if you can watch tv and play with the kids...dogs,feed the goldfish at the same time.
    If the design is well done so that you have to actually pay attention and react,then repetition is at least interesting,challenging.I don't like to use the word FUN because that term is over used way too often.

We are already taking almsot all immersion out of games,we don't need to ruin mmorpg's anymore.Like automated travel,markers over npc heads,meters to show people that rather have it easy than think about their actions,all of what i have been seeing has been catering to LAZY  gamer's and the type that want it EASY.

How about Wow and auto warping to a dungeon,that is not immersion that is amateur game design,clueless type system designers.Why can't someone design a mmorpg properly,immersion,plausible realism?I assume two things,bad gmae designers and catering to the larger crowd of bad gamer.s,the type of people who haven't a clue how to immerse themselves in a rpg nor even care to do so.

MMORPG"s have dumbed down so far,we use the letters RPG in ARPG's,we are getting games like MHW,all people care about is the LOOT in these rpg's,the BOSS,the RAID,we took mmorpg's and dumbed them all the way down to idiocy.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited October 2019
    Its both, and affects people differently to various degrees, the way I see it is, it’s relaxing until its boring. But it depends on the activity. Sometimes its never relaxing. 
    AlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• VagabondoVagabondo Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Repetition is the father of knowledge and mother of boredom
    AlBQuirky
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I don't think it's as much about the repetition being boring as it is the lack of decision making and challenge that can make things boring. Pong is just moving your paddle around to intercept a ball over and over, but you can have fun for hours. Tetris is just stacking blocks, but you're making decisions which is engaging and you can have fun for hours. 

I'm playing Classic WoW right now as a Paladin, which is largely auto attacking for damage all the way to 60. Sounds conceptually boring, but it isn't because you're making important decisions all throughout combat with your other abilities. Which seal do I want active? Should I judge a seal for an effect? Should I judge for straight damage? How mana efficient do I need to be? Do I need to stun or can I time a quick heal between mob swings? Where are the other mobs in the area? Oh no I've got an add, do I need to run for it? Should I gut it out and burn resources and long cooldowns to win? Oh no I'm almost dead and OoM should I go to my last resort and Lay on Hands? 

A small number of abilities can be fun, if you have to make decisions on how to use them. You can have 50 abilities, but if you're just doing the same thing over and over with no variation, no decision making and no challenge, it's going to be boring and grindy despite the complexity. 

AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    For me repetition only becomes annoying if I am not progressing at a rate acceptable to me.

Recently I was playing POE and enjoying it until ...level 94.

For some reason I found myself stuck,  the experience gains were coming too slowly vs the fixed losses from the occasional death.. and my progress came to a halt.

I actually spent about 3 weeks trying to overcome this barrier but to no avail. So I promptly quit and started playing FO76...where I am again able to resume my progession quest. 

Same happened in L2 so many years ago, really enjoyed until around level 56 or so when my progession stalled. 

Started grouping up with guild mates but even then we might make 5% gain in a 2 hour hunting session and one death could erase most of my progress. 

This just wasn't fun for me, doing some quick math I could see at best it might take a year or more to reach max level which it was important to be at unless one enjoyed being one shot in sieges.   (I don't particularly. )

:# 
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Kyleran said:
    For me repetition only becomes annoying if I am not progressing at a rate acceptable to me.

Recently I was playing POE and enjoying it until ...level 94.

For some reason I found myself stuck,  the experience gains were coming too slowly vs the fixed losses from the occasional death.. and my progress came to a halt.

I actually spent about 3 weeks trying to overcome this barrier but to no avail. So I promptly quit and started playing FO76...where I am again able to resume my progession quest. 

Same happened in L2 so many years ago, really enjoyed until around level 56 or so when my progession stalled. 

Started grouping up with guild mates but even then we might make 5% gain in a 2 hour hunting session and one death could erase most of my progress. 

This just wasn't fun for me, doing some quick math I could see at best it might take a year or more to reach max level which it was important to be at unless one enjoyed being one shot in sieges.   (I don't particularly. )

:# 
    The game is boring as F dude. Play hardcore dont be a wuss, see how high you get without dying.  Mine was 93 but i kind of on purpose killed my char.

Ive hit 90 a couple of times, in the 80's a bunch, in the 70's, and lesser. 

Ive died to some really dumb stuff too but do it, dont be a wuss. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I try to vary the repetitious stuff. Combat, questing, crafting, and exploring. I try to sprinkle it all into my playing sessions.

Combat: I miss the small "skill gains" a character received while using different weapons in EQ 1 and old WoW. Those little "[skill] is now 7/17/27/77" messages felt good, however tiny they were. Using all the different weapons your class was allowed kept combat interesting as you ground for levels. Good, sociable groups can make "the grind" more enjoyable for me. It's been a long, long time since that happened ;)

Questing: I enjoy being able to grab multiple quests that I can work on simultaneously. Running back to a quest giver can be OK if I keep my crafting needs in my mind while I travel. I may also run back a different way ;)

Crafting and exploring I try to do while doing other things. I may set out to do a whole session of crafting, but even then I may run out of materials and have to go "hunting/gathering" for more.

I am finding that the older I get, the more mind numbing and relaxing the game, the more I like it. I guess my heart is getting weak :lol:

Palebane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
     Gorwe said:
    Depends on the action tbh. I'd need more info, more definitions etc before I could truly answer this.
    And the player. This question can’t be definitively  answered. 
    Gorwe
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I dont mind repetition if what Im repeatedly doing is enjoyable.  The only thing that matters to me in something I find fun is the ratio of time spent having fun vs time spent not having fun. 
    AlBQuirky

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**