Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It needs a depiction of soul

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I would definitely say were all in the dark in so many aspics of the game,

As of now it has zero soul.  I'm a 100% confidant it will have one… Brad is good at breathing life into his games.  It would definitely benefit their cause if they show some of it soon. 

I understand their going dark and honestly I thought that was a good idea all along, showing quirky pre-alpha footage doesn't help if it continues too long. 

Maybe a Commercial Trailer or a warm depiction of everyday life.  With players interacting with each other in simple dialog or an NPC carrying firewood back to his house.  Something non-combat and technical…. Something to say, YES I could reside in the world forever, complete with a nice soundtrack. 

After all how are adventures developed.  What caused players to group ?... What makes you want to head south, and how many others do you need ? 

Show us this in a nice linear fashion would be a welcome addition.

I think it would help matters if we viewed some comfortable, charming and easy life footage.

Post edited by delete5230 on

Comments

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Great comments; however, lets see if the game launches this decade 1st, then how it plays? Being a EQ1 vet im hopeful, but that style of game and time-sink format of gameplay is not what it use to be.  Plus neither is the fanbase anymore....most of us simply do not have that time to dedicate anymore.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They lack proper footwear? I can see that could be a problem.
    immodiumKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2019
    Amathe said:
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Amathe said:
    Or the type of fish. Lack of either could be detrimental.
    Amathe

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    OP did mention "footage" in addition to "sole." Must have been what he meant.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    You can never be sure if "footage" implies that feet age at different rates in a Delete post.  That's what makes them so great.  Here I was thinking I was somehow supposed to fish with my feet.

Amathe

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    You can never be sure if "footage" implies that feet age at different rates in a Delete post.  That's what makes them so great.  Here I was thinking I was somehow supposed to fish with my feet.

I fixed that, that would normally be embarrassing to most.... Me ?.... Well, I'm beyond being embarrassed :)
    Mendel
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited October 2019
    Well such a video showing the soul of the game would appeal to those who like to group, or even just interact with other players. But there is a reason I can't remember the last time I saw such a video for a MMO...no one groups. With its different take on the importance of grouping (not sure that it will be hugely different until we see it at launch) such a video would make sense.

It is crazy, in co-op even in something like a team shooter you get trailers of players grouping, but in MMOs forget it. It truly is Massive Multiplayer Online Alone.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    To your original question.  While a slice-of-life video showing the daily routines of NPCs could be wonderful, the life of most NPCs is completely static.  They stand there waiting for someone to interact with them and say their message in response to the correct key word/phrase.  They rarely walk around, never go anywhere interesting, and don' even do anything mundane like gather some wood.  To me, that static, non-changing world *is* the soul of the game, and that is a fundamental issue with games.  The world doesn't change in response to my character.

Besides, wouldn't people complain about spoilers if a video showed Innkeep Elora moving off her spot to do something, like go to the restroom?  Okay, maybe I should have used "pervs" instead of "people" there.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    TheJoda said:
    Great comments; however, lets see if the game launches this decade 1st, then how it plays? Being a EQ1 vet im hopeful, but that style of game and time-sink format of gameplay is not what it use to be.  Plus neither is the fanbase anymore....most of us simply do not have that time to dedicate anymore.
    I think he's waiting for the wrong game.  I expect Pantheon to treat NPCs and the game world as most MMORPGs, back drops for the players to interact in but little more.

Despite Brad's recent blog posts, this game doesn't appear to be shooting for virtual world building as its core gameplay.

COE is more based on what the OP is hoping for and its surprising he isn't following that title more closely.

Of course,  following COE requires a very strong imagination as thats where most of the game currently resides at present.

;)
    Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Vanguard was a shitshow at launch.
    Pantheon is already looking better in pre-alpha.

To be honest Pantheon looks in much better shape than any of the other MMORPG in development.

I don’t expect AAA material though, like many here seems to expect.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    TEKK3N said:
    Vanguard was a shitshow at launch.
    Pantheon is already looking better in pre-alpha.

To be honest Pantheon looks in much better shape than any of the other MMORPG in development.

I don’t expect AAA material though, like many here seems to expect.
    While I agree, even as a backer I have a feeling this game is going to be its own worst enemy by virtue of their design principles.  

There are some potentially very cool concepts/systems but it isn't likely that these are going to work the way we all imagine they will.  This combined with a decision to intentionally ostracize themselves is going to really hamstring the potential player base I think.

People like to point to WoW classic, but even on day one WoW has always been the most casual-friendly MMO in existence.  Pantheon is going more the EQ1 route......which while I personally like the thought of....I don't know how viable it is.