Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there people who actually solo 100% of the time in mmorpg?

AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
edited October 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
And why bother playing mmorpg if you solo 100% of the time.

Edit:  I understand there are multiple post of "why play mmorpg if you solo" already.  I'm just confused when people ask that question because even though I play mmorpg solo, I still want to group time to time.
Post edited by AAAMEOW on
Dekahnbartoni33

Comments

• coercer02coercer02 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    AAAMEOW said:

sick flex bro
    Hatefull
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Is this really a question which requires yet another new thread? 

OK, I'll play.... because Fallout 5 isn't a thing yet so stuck with FO76 for now.

Oh yeah, not a MMORPG though.

:D 
    bcbullyHatefullAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I recall meeting a player in an EVE mining chat channel who had been continuously subscribed since launch with a couple of accounts.

He had done nothing else but solo mine in high sec for like 13 years except for a very brief time when he joined a Corp which he promptly quit after the first wardec.
    Steelhelm

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    AAAMEOW said:

So how many decent RPGs have you seen around lately?
    Vermillion_RaventhalKyleran

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited October 2019
    Well, this is 2019 and we are in the generation where everybody gets offended at something on the internet, so grouping exposes me to the inevitable outcome of offending someone if I roll on loot, if I laugh at a joke, if I don't laugh at a joke, maybe my character is not gender neutral enough, maybe my character is not inclusive of all races enough, maybe I'm making someone mad because I don't thank them once for each point of HP they've healed me, maybe someone is offended that my pixelated character is standing in front of them and block them the view...

...and maybe all of that is not worth worrying about, and is certainly not something you have to worry about when it's just you.

In all seriousness though...the more years pass, the more annoying people online get.  In 10 years from now I'm probably gonna be too scared to go online altogether, my mere presence is probably gonna piss off someone.
    ultimateduckHarikenTuor7Maddog666AlBQuirkyKaneth
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Ah, back in the good ol' days of EQ1.  I solo a lot in the few mmos I play, but also enjoy grouping.  I seldom raid, but do so every once in a while.  I very rarely PvP (situational), just the notion of investing any amount of money to then have my junk taken away by some other player just isn't my concept of fun, it might be competitive, but to me not fun.  However, as your title states, "Are there people who actually solo 100% of the time in a mmorpg?"  Technically I doubt anyone does 100% of the time, but I suppose it is just as accurate that I doubt some playing a mmorpg groups or raids 100% of the time too.  I've always thought a good mmorpg will encompass all possible play styles with emphasis on one over another for certain scenarios. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Sometimes I do.  I group more in looter shooters.
    NorseGodHatefull
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Did this thread really need to be created....?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I used to mostly group in MMOs but then someone showed morons how to use the internet and it all went south in a hurry. That's why I mostly solo in MMOs these days.
    [Deleted User]SovrathKyleranTuor7AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    My first mmorpg was SWG in 2003. I played in all the major mmo's, over the next eight years or so and joined or created a guild in every one until and including GW2 but never joined one again since. That's because the nature of mmorpgs has evolved over the years and they have become more solo friendly in response to player demand.

I haven't the slightest interest in PvP in that type of game. If I want PvP, I'll play a FPS one. In an mmorpg, I want to explore, craft, trade and do the PvE missions at my own pace. Having other people around can make the game more interesting but I don't need to spend most of my time grouped with other people to do the things I want to do. In fact, I really dislike grouping while doing missions as it seems people just want to race from one to another, while I like to take my time and complete the side objectives.

In fact, I've mostly been playing survival games such as Ark, and action adventure games such as Assassin's Creed, Fallout 4 etc for the last couple of years. The only mmorpg I've played at all since BDO is LotRO on the Anor legendary server. I can solo everything I'm interested in there.
    Tuor7
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2019
    the only way to play an mmorpg 100% solo is to never run dungeons, pvp, or raids. As soon as you join any of those activities you are grouping with people.

I play mostly solo because my friends don't play mmorpgs, but sometimes i join guilds and talk.
    AlBQuirky

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    the only way to play an mmorpg 100% solo is to never run dungeons, pvp, or raids. As soon as you join any of those activities you are grouping with people.

I play mostly solo because my friends don't play mmorpgs, but sometimes i join guilds and talk.
    OMG! Meeee too! Let's be MMORPG frens.

[Deleted User]krgwynneAlBQuirkyTiller
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    People play games like fortnite, csgo, quake all solo, but it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't a multiplayer game.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Arterius said:
    NorseGod said:

You post the most WTF photos
    I can't even post the good ones.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Kyleran said:
    I recall meeting a player in an EVE mining chat channel who had been continuously subscribed since launch with a couple of accounts.

He had done nothing else but solo mine in high sec for like 13 years except for a very brief time when he joined a Corp which he promptly quit after the first wardec.
    I kind of want to know how this story ends... unless that was the end, then your story sucked because it needed a better ending.
    Kyleran
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    AAAMEOW said:

To annoy people who think I should be obligated to play with them just because it's an MMO, of course...
    krgwynne
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    AAAMEOW said:

your post is cliche. This has been posted and answered numerous times. Why do you think? seriously. If I offered the "million dollars" to wrack your brain with an answer what would you come up with?
    Narug
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    AAAMEOW said:

go make us all a group based mmorpg instead of all these single player mmo fake rpgs  with tacked on multiplayer instance games and well group all day for ya pal!
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    You can solo in combat but still interact with a community. There is more to a server community then teaming to kill something. 
    pantaroTuor7NarugAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    NorseGod said:

OMG! Meeee too! Let's be MMORPG frens.

Ahh, Princess Moon, my lost love. I lost track of you at the truck stop. 
    (Sometimes it takes some real guts to be a roleplayer.) 
    NorseGodTuor7AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    AAAMEOW said:

Perhaps the person likes the MMORPG but not the social environment that comes along with, or simply is not gregarious in nature but enjoys developing the same character over time through the ongoing content releases they tend to provide, or any of numerous other reasons.

It is a personal choice one is entitled to make. Why question it more than any other such choice? The preoccupation some have with the motivations of those that elect to do this is bizarre.
    Tuor7AlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I started out, long ago, as a solo player in UO. 
    Of course, it was hard not to talk to players in game, what with the need for gear repair, trade, etc. 
    But then I ran into the roleplayers. Real roleplayers, not these people who stand around watching the typical play actors insulting each other with thee's and thou's, leading up to a duel. 
    No, these people knew how to roleplay the moment, real time, staying in the world at all times. And quite often there was some great humor, unselfish acts such as giving expensive gear on a need, even risking their "lives" (and gear) in aid of others. 
    Those people made it a lot of fun to play with others, and I joined them and built my skills of on-the-fly-role-play. That's one of the things I've missed very much over the years. 
    KyleranTuor7AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Sovrath said:
    AAAMEOW said:

your post is cliche. This has been posted and answered numerous times. Why do you think? seriously. If I offered the "million dollars" to wrack your brain with an answer what would you come up with?
    I'm just confused every time people ask that question.

I spend a huge percent of my time soloing in mmorpg...  But I still play mmorpg because I still want to group time to time.

SovrathTuor7
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    The decline of grouping started with WoW and with each release after that became more of a secondary consideration to the gameplay. The funny thing is when you suggest to solo players that they might as well have NPC's taking the place of every player they don't like it. How on earth that matters to them when they never interact with others boggles the mind.
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Well, lets see......When I'm tanking a group of six, three are simultaneously pulling different mobs, one is screaming at me to learn to "play my class" because I can't simultaneously grab aggro on the three different mobs, one is busy collecting "shinies", and the last is afk on their cellphone.

Now you know why I avoid grouping.

By the way, add a third vote for "Do we really need to create another solo thread". Willing to bet that the creaters of these solo threads are the same people that are in my group example above...…..
    AmatheHatefulldragonlee66TinkerBellCommandoAlBQuirky