Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Portalarium lets real player numbers slip

2»

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2019
    RG in a very old interview stated higher numbers it was based on Kickstarter backers which was at a peak.  Today the growth is still happening but not in large droves.  Last time they looked at the metrics on the twitch they showed on average 50 new accounts a month which is not too much but still growth. 
    50 new accounts is more of a decline than a growth. A growth would require number of new players to exceed the number of old players leaving.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Hard numbers are so incredibly rare to find.  Kudos to Portalarium for this information slippage.  And who knew?  Steam's metrics can be useful for fact finding in some cases.

Hillt

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I actually DL'd and played this the other day.... It felt pretty similar to when I did the same thing back in Alpha/Beta...........

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• sarbonnsarbonn Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Unfortunately, they have set up the game so that it can only bleed players out of it. One of the ways they are seriously hurting the game is home ownership alone. If you wish to own a home and are new, they will allow you home ownership in a player owned town, but if you are a lone player, you're kind of screwed because then your only option is to buy from the Crown/Portal store where you spend real money (and a lot of it) to buy a piece of property that you can place outside of a player owned town and are then charged taxes of in game currency, which is more annoying than anything, especially if you desire a larger property.

Making it easier to gain housing would probably help to populate the world (there are regular towns across the map that are practically empty of homes because no one can afford to live there, or there just aren't people). What that does is show people how desolate the population is so that they rethink their desire to continue signing into the game.
    Hillt
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    In my long experience,i would say 176 online is closer to 10x that in total.So likely around 1700 play here and there or if i may say playing ...somewhat.

176 is not nearly enough to have a mmo even on one server.I have found you need between 2500-5k active all the time to be really good and at least 1500 to be fathomable.

If they can average $5 per 1700 per month that is enough 8500/mnth to sustain the business but not much more.I am sure they have a few that donate a lot of money to help keep it alive so maybe 10-12k a month.So it is on life support,likely only 5-6 people still working there.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    yesterday on stream with Chris he stated that there was around 5000 active subs right now, and new players trickling in but showing still a growth.   There is another planned marketing push coming when the first new ep2 land comes in dec.
    Kyleran
  • HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited October 2019
    Yet Richard had to sell the game off to Chris because he couldn't restructure his company or even cared too. In the latest release notes, Ep2 is coming in 2020 NOT 2019.

Considering this game is now 6+ years old and the only thing that works 100% is deco items I doubt you will generate new players where there are tons of better F2P games out. 

Keep the faith, in another 6 years you might have Ep 1 & 2 out of 5 episodes somewhat completed. 
    Earthgirlurinal_goose
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Hillt said:
    Yet Richard had to sell the game off to Chris because he couldn't restructure his company or even cared too. In the latest release notes, Ep2 is coming in 2020 NOT 2019.

Considering this game is now 6+ years old and the only thing that works 100% is deco items I doubt you will generate new players where there are tons of better F2P games out. 

Keep the faith, in another 6 years you might have Ep 1 & 2 out of 5 episodes somewhat completed. 
    they are releasing the fist new location end of the year,  and rolling out ep2 stuff on a month by  month patch.   It wont all be rolled out at once.   This was stated in a few twitch streams.  The first new land will be 1/4 the size of Novia.
    urinal_goose