Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goals for 2019 Part 1 - Playable game by Sep 22nd, 2019

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2019
    My theory, many of the staff actually live in other cities and work remotely.

They never share pictures of "the team" gathered together or working side by side on anything.

AnOldFartScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Kyleran said:

This team is either horribly overworked or very under staffed, probably a bit of both.

Caspian said ages back about how it's normal that people within the industry do 14+ hour days. Even when other companies that do it, normally at the very end, before the launch. Not in pre-alpha days.

It's where his true colours started coming out. Acts like he runs his company so much better than others. But basically forces his workers to work crazy hours because "everyone else does it". Within that, he bought up how he had to force someone to go home. Because they were sleeping under their desk.. just wow moment.
    AnOldFartKyleran
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I think if they did release a playable game, and it was like the latest videos that look pretty bad when compared to the kickstarter stuff, it would cause a lot of people to wake up to reality. They wouldn't have the pipe dream just the reality of the actual game.

I'm betting it would cause the whole house of cards to collapse at this point. Making what they have playable would probably sink the entire project.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Nilden said:
    I think if they did release a playable game, and it was like the latest videos that look pretty bad when compared to the kickstarter stuff, it would cause a lot of people to wake up to reality. They wouldn't have the pipe dream just the reality of the actual game.

I'm betting it would cause the whole house of cards to collapse at this point. Making what they have playable would probably sink the entire project.
    Tick tock, the clock is ticking, your point is absolutely correct. I am very curious to read the next state of Elyria write up in the next few months...supposedly pre-elyria was supposed to be completed by the end of the summer, sure by mid october 2019 it should be almost complete right? We shall see where they really are, although i'm not holding my breath.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nilden said:

Tick tock, the clock is ticking, your point is absolutely correct. I am very curious to read the next state of Elyria write up in the next few months...supposedly pre-elyria was supposed to be completed by the end of the summer, sure by mid october 2019 it should be almost complete right? We shall see where they really are, although i'm not holding my breath.
    If we've learned anything from watching the COE project, I think it is a safe assumption to suggest that we won't ever know this.  Instead of reliable, confidant information, there will simply be another sale to milk the cash cow, and maybe a smoke-and-mirrors show to reassure the herd that "All is exceptionally wow; good beyond your wildest imagination".  Then there will be yet another milking.  The days of the State of Elyria reports are apparently over.

Keeping the cows content is a good model for a dairy farm, not a game developer.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• wkyfamwkyfam Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I think you are right, Mendel.  We have seen this process you describe play out too many times now. When the monthly updates go dark, it is never a good sign.  Star Citizen, Chronicles of Elyria, Pantheon... These games and the state of game development for MMOs has been a depressing spiral over the course of the past five years or so.
    Mendel
    It's been quiet around here, forget pre-elyria which was supposed to be done end of summer, are they even working on it? The newest piece of news is apparently SoE is being postponed so Caspian can work on marketing and making the website prettier with the hope of attracting new blood to this sham. Forget showing new prospective gamers any progress being made, they are wisely spending your cash on making the website look good.

To recap, DSS/Maps being worked on....website being worked on...see the trend? They will work on anything other than the actual game. This is the "Storm" Caspian was talking about earlier in the year?
  • DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    It's been quiet around here, forget pre-elyria which was supposed to be done end of summer, are they even working on it? The newest piece of news is apparently SoE is being postponed so Caspian can work on marketing and making the website prettier with the hope of attracting new blood to this sham. Forget showing new prospective gamers any progress being made, they are wisely spending your cash on making the website look good.

To recap, DSS/Maps being worked on....website being worked on...see the trend? They will work on anything other than the actual game. This is the "Storm" Caspian was talking about earlier in the year?

A storm of mediocre underachievement is still a storm.
    Mendel
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
     The newest piece of news is apparently SoE is being postponed so Caspian can work on marketing and making the website prettier with the hope of attracting new blood to this sham.
    Well sounds like they are focusing on their core competency.  Years over budget and behind schedule with little tangible progress... but lots of cash raised. IMHO the longer they can put off letting the public into the "game" the better for them.   I mean they have a small but vocal group of people telling them to just "take our money and don't even mention dates on when we might see results". 

Why disrupt the gravy train?

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

The newest piece of news is apparently SoE is being postponed so Caspian can work on marketing and making the website prettier with the hope of attracting new blood to this sham.
    Well sounds like they are focusing on their core competency.  Years over budget and behind schedule with little tangible progress... but lots of cash raised. IMHO the longer they can put off letting the public into the "game" the better for them.   I mean they have a small but vocal group of people telling them to just "take our money and don't even mention dates on when we might see results". 

Why disrupt the gravy train?

Because those whales are in the bag already, they will one-up one another on any opportunity they get to get ahead even by the smallest amount, Caspian knows this and he knows he needs new blood to the fish tank. This is why all the work is being done on the website to make it look all pretty, not one soul in soulbound studios even whispered pre-elyria or anything playable for months now. The only thing Caspian is good at is squeezing anyone he can for money while promising them anything they want to hear. Shame that he prays on those with hope and some gullibility.
    Kyleran
    So Snipehunter released todays Shiny, what do you guys think? Snipehunter goes on to say:

"That’s one of the cool things about the way we approach production here: By working in the low fidelity “Prelyria” art style, we can all work in parallel. Vanimus can take the time he needs to make the full fidelity sculpt perfect in every way without any of us having to wait. A process that might take several months of total time to complete can be done in a third or a quarter of that time as a result of that parallel production and so, even though we’re a small team, we can maintain a pace similar to the larger-teamed MMOs I’ve worked on in the past, games that had teams that were literally 3 or 4 times as large as the team here at Soulbound.

It might not be easy to see from the outside, but from where I sit on the inside? It’s the sort of smart planning that makes me think why didn’t we do this on that other game?! -- and I’m not going to lie, knowing we’re doing this when others never thought to do it? Well, that feels shiny as all heck to me!"

There you have it folks, smart planning and they are doing the work studios with 3-4 times the amount of employees are doing. This is the lies their whales are eating up.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34256/SHINY-DAY-11072019-Sometimes-the-shine-comes-in-steps

That’s too funny.  A development team years over budget and years behind schedule, with mounds of scrapped efforts like ElyriaMud, VoxElyria, SpatialOS, jousting Demi, silver run mine demo... is somehow smart planning?

No wonder the last game he was lead designer for which also pre sold virtual land went belly up.  
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Casual armchair developer's observation.

You ever notice how Snipehunter, Caspian and Vye regularly mention working with each other on various efforts, but they rarely mention working with anyone else.

At best they'll say something is turned over to "the animators" or the back end code people but you wont find a single photo anywhere of the rest of "the team."

I'm starting to think they might have fewer people working there than we realize, perhaps no more than 10 at best.

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GorawynGorawyn Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Kyleran said:

You ever notice how Snipehunter, Caspian and Vye regularly mention working with each other on various efforts, but they rarely mention working with anyone else.

At best they'll say something is turned over to "the animators" or the back end code people but you wont find a single photo anywhere of the rest of "the team."

I'm starting to think they might have fewer people working there than we realize, perhaps no more than 10 at best.

Do you remember the post where they were hiring "17 people" or something like that? I can't seem to find it. I've often wondered about this myself. It isn't unusual to have small teams in the startup sector, especially in the gaming industry. I worked in esports marketing myself for a long time. But I have often found this to be a bit fishy myself.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
      "Playable game by Sep 22nd, 2019"

Obviously a typo, did nobody see it ?

Should read: "Sep 22nd, 2020" :wink:
      "Playable game by Sep 22nd, 2019"

Obviously a typo, did nobody see it ?

Should read: "Sep 22nd, 2020" :wink:
    make me smile, playable? yup, I can see by end of 2020 a pre-elyria, a very early proof of concept, a little zone with basic mechanics and nothing that stands out, this is what 5 years of development gets you with this studios.
    Kyleran said:

They used to do Q&A livestreams, the 3 of them, Casp/vye/snipe, never anyone else, so you may have a good point here...btw they don't do livestreams anymore...nor really talk about actual progress on the game.
    MendelGdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:

They used to do Q&A livestreams, the 3 of them, Casp/vye/snipe, never anyone else, so you may have a good point here...btw they don't do livestreams anymore...nor really talk about actual progress on the game.
    I've wondered how many employees of this particular studio actually work under the same roof.  Maybe it's only C/V/S at a location with every other contributor being work-at-home types.

KyleranGdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:

I've wondered how many employees of this particular studio actually work under the same roof.  Maybe it's only C/V/S at a location with every other contributor being work-at-home types.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if each of them worked at an actual CVS store and were doing this as a side hustle.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This very well may have been a scam from day 1.My gut says likely not but you never know.
    I have always felt they were simply TRYING to mislead people into hyping this game very high so investors might jump on it.
    Since very little interest has been garnered,i think at this point it is a fail waiting to happen,well sort of already is a fail.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I'm keeping away from much CoE related (tbh gaming related that doesn't involve pen and paper d&d)

Anyway there has been videos and introductions to other members of the team. 

You criticise the lack of them being on camera but I've worked in plenty of workplaces that when asked about going on camera >60% refused.
    Maybe this is a similar situation?

(just putting the other side across that this might be a reason) 
    edited November 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    I'm keeping away from much CoE related (tbh gaming related that doesn't involve pen and paper d&d)

Anyway there has been videos and introductions to other members of the team. 

You criticise the lack of them being on camera but I've worked in plenty of workplaces that when asked about going on camera >60% refused.
    Maybe this is a similar situation?

(just putting the other side across that this might be a reason) 
    Wait, you mean all game devs don't create music videos like this? CCPs HTFU is legendary. 

(Not safe for church)

;)

As for pictures, videos or even mentioning other devs by first name I haven't seen many which aren't from back in the early days, nothing much from the last two years, since the big layoff in Jan 2018.
    Gdemamitweedledumb99

Honestly if they produced tangible results and delivered what they promised I don’t think anyone would care how many are on the team or where they are based.  It’s the utter lack of delivery that drives the complaints.

GdemamiMendelAnOldFart

edited November 2019
    Wizardry said:
    This very well may have been a scam from day 1.My gut says likely not but you never know.
    I have always felt they were simply TRYING to mislead people into hyping this game very high so investors might jump on it.
    Since very little interest has been garnered,i think at this point it is a fail waiting to happen,well sort of already is a fail.
    I have never believed this to be a scam, and i'd like to think that it's not a scam. Their original KS pitch i can totally get behind, there was so much hype for this project and so much potential. I think what happened was the scope of this project got way over their heads, no one really knows how bad the whole partnership with Improbable hurt them but surely nothing good came out of that. SpatialOS was supposed to be their golden ticket to bring some of these thoughts and visions into reality..now they opted to build all of this in house? What? Excuse me? With what money? gaming studios that tackle projects like this need hundreds of millions of dollars...look at Elder Scrolls Online, Zenimax Online Studios had around 300 Million dollars to make that title...Soulbound raised ~7.5M over 4 years, how much do you think is left in the bank?

Right now I can see they are utterly desperate, If you read their Discord, Caspian is solely trying to figure out how to get new people invested here, he is pulling every angle in the book, what he doesn't realize is that all people want to see is progress on the game...people don't want maps or fancy websites, show us a client in some for so we can walk around and see this game is real.

I wanted to pose a question to you guys, can we talk about Caspian's mystical Soulborn Engine...supposedly in development for like 20 years? Please show me one shred of proof it exists in any form.
    MendelGdemamiDeveron
    Wizardry said:
    I have never believed this to be a scam, and i'd like to think that it's not a scam. Their original KS pitch i can totally get behind, there was so much hype for this project and so much potential. I think what happened was the scope of this project got way over their heads, no one really knows how bad the whole partnership with Improbable hurt them but surely nothing good came out of that. SpatialOS was supposed to be their golden ticket to bring some of these thoughts and visions into reality..now they opted to build all of this in house? What? Excuse me? With what money? gaming studios that tackle projects like this need hundreds of millions of dollars...look at Elder Scrolls Online, Zenimax Online Studios had around 300 Million dollars to make that title...Soulbound raised ~7.5M over 4 years, how much do you think is left in the bank?

Right now I can see they are utterly desperate, If you read their Discord, Caspian is solely trying to figure out how to get new people invested here, he is pulling every angle in the book, what he doesn't realize is that all people want to see is progress on the game...people don't want maps or fancy websites, show us a client in some for so we can walk around and see this game is real.

I wanted to pose a question to you guys, can we talk about Caspian's mystical Soulborn Engine...supposedly in development for like 20 years? Please show me one shred of proof it exists in any form.
    My suspicion is that if they let people into the game it would turn many people away.

And remember, on these very forums back in 2017 Jeromy was stating that players should be in about 2 months later...

Right now CoE is all things to all people.  Reality is going to hit some folks very hard...
    MendelDeveron