Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony PlayStation 5 to launch in late 2020

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Like the PS4 and PS4 Pro, it's going to be an AMD-based system.  It will have a Ryzen CPU (most likely either Zen 2 or Zen 3) and a Navi GPU (surely RDNA; possibly of the successor to Navi).  It will have an SSD, as had previously been announced.  I'm curious as to whether it will be a decently large SoC or whether it will use the third generation Ryzen chiplet approach.

What I found most interesting is that Sony also confirmed that it will have hardware-accelerated ray-tracing.  That's something not offered by the Navi GPUs currently out.  If that's going to launch in a game console a year from now, then that surely means that AMD will offer hardware-based ray-tracing sooner rather than later.  They could plausibly go with a Turing-like approach of only offering it in their relatively higher end GPUs and not in the lower end ones.  Or depending on how much die space it takes, they might offer it all up and down their lineup rather than doing the substantial redesign work necessary to strip it out of the lower end parts.

Sony also confirmed that it will be called the PlayStation 5.  Hooray for naming schemes that actually make sense, unlike what AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Microsoft, and others do.

The article didn't say whether it would offer backward compatibility to PS4 games.  Given that the architectural changes of the sort that can break such compatibility will be relatively small, I'd expect that offering such backward compatibility wouldn't be that hard, and so they probably will.

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's confirmed it will play PS4 games. They confirmed it quite a long time ago.

What I really want to know is what the 8k support means. It's not powerful enough to run games at 8k so I assume it just means 8k video support... unless there's some magic I don't know about. If it is just video support, I wish they'd just say that instead of trying to bullshit everyone.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Arterius said:
    I have a best buy credit card so going to get both and just take a year to pay them off.
    For most credit cards, taking a year to pay something off is handling the situation severely wrong.  Credit cards tend to have extremely high interest rates, so that might mean that you pay an extra 15% or so due to interest.  If you're planning on buying something that far out, start saving your money today.
    cheeba
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

What I really want to know is what the 8k support means. It's not powerful enough to run games at 8k so I assume it just means 8k video support... unless there's some magic I don't know about. If it is just video support, I wish they'd just say that instead of trying to bullshit everyone.
    Three points regarding 8k.

1. You have a chicken and egg situation. It would be pointless for developers to create 8k games unless the hardware exists. Sony have probably told key partners already that the PS5 will support 8k but in case anyone hasn't got the message: the PS5 will support 8k!

2. If you have your 8K game on which you can play your 8K PS5 you need .... and Sony make them as well and have been promoting them for several months now. 

3. 8K is being broadcast in Japan - which is Sony's home market.
    [Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    gervaise1 said:

1. You have a chicken and egg situation. It would be pointless for developers to create 8k games unless the hardware exists. Sony have probably told key partners already that the PS5 will support 8k but in case anyone hasn't got the message: the PS5 will support 8k!

2. If you have your 8K game on which you can play your 8K PS5 you need .... and Sony make them as well and have been promoting them for several months now. 

8k is just another joke on the buying public.  Unless you have a huge TV(75" or greater) the chances of noticing any difference from 4k is negligible.  That is if you are one of the few humans whose eyes can even notice the difference.   You won't see 8k on PCs much either as an 8k monitor will set you back mulitple expensive house payments and unless you are sitting back far from the screen you will also not be able to notice any difference.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ozmodan said:
    gervaise1 said:

8k is just another joke on the buying public.  Unless you have a huge TV(75" or greater) the chances of noticing any difference from 4k is negligible.  That is if you are one of the few humans whose eyes can even notice the difference.   You won't see 8k on PCs much either as an 8k monitor will set you back mulitple expensive house payments and unless you are sitting back far from the screen you will also not be able to notice any difference.
    Nah. Its simply an enabler for larger TVs - those 75 inches or whatever. After all people are unlikely to accept lower quality on a larger TV. So manufacturers have to move to 8K if they want to sell larger TVs.

As for the expense etc. etc. pretty much word for word what was said about 4k. And 1080 before that. And x2 CD players before that. The reality is though that prices have fallen not risen.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I expect 8K support to be identical to current PS4Pro 4K support:

it will use an 8K mode on a compatible TV, but games get dynamically rendered and upscaled 
    Ozmodan