Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] Looking for a new budget build

2»

Comments

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353
    So, I haven't gotten into VR gaming as of yet, but both the 1660 Ti and the 5700 say "VR ready". Is the 1660 Ti one of those cases where it says that, but it struggles when it comes down to it?

I am leaning toward the 5700 XT, but the price difference with the 5700 and 1660 Ti has me curious. I just would hate to buy a card that can't really handle VR if/when I decide to check it out.

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    So, I haven't gotten into VR gaming as of yet, but both the 1660 Ti and the 5700 say "VR ready". Is the 1660 Ti one of those cases where it says that, but it struggles when it comes down to it?

I am leaning toward the 5700 XT, but the price difference with the 5700 and 1660 Ti has me curious. I just would hate to buy a card that can't really handle VR if/when I decide to check it out.
    As with non-VR games, it depends a lot on what games you play and what settings you want to run.  If you insist on maxing settings as if the goal were to get as low of frame rates as possible, then a lot of VR games will be rough on any GPU in existence.  If you're willing to selectively turn down some settings, a lot of VR games will work a lot better.  I wouldn't use VR as the deciding factor unless you know that you're really into VR.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Not sure what your time table is for your build, but AMD has announced a 5500 GPU available next month that is about 30% faster than the 1660ti for about the same price point.  No benchmarks are available for it yet, but it will have 8gb of memory verses the 1660ti's 6gb.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited October 2019
    You can get the Oculus Quest, which doesn't require a computer, and if you like it upgrade your computer and get the cable that allows you to use the Quest via your PC.

If you're sure you want to PC game with a VR headset, the Rift S with a 1070ti and i7 chip set is what I normally recommend as a minimum for decent visuals.

Because the Quest can be used as a stand alone, it is a bit heavier than the Rift S, which is why it's preferred for long term gaming.

Ozmodan said:
    Not sure what your time table is for your build, but AMD has announced a 5500 GPU available next month that is about 30% faster than the 1660ti for about the same price point.  No benchmarks are available for it yet, but it will have 8gb of memory verses the 1660ti's 6gb.

I'm not in a huge hurry. If there is a reason to wait a month or so, I don't mind.

Also, do PC components go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or is it just devices and prebuilts? Is it worth waiting for those events to build a new PC?

Waiting for - 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ozmodan said:

I think that RX 5500 is lucky if it can match GTX 1660 Ti speed, but they might be priced a bit cheaper.

Though at this point it's too much speculation and guesses.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2019
    Ozmodan said:

I'm not in a huge hurry. If there is a reason to wait a month or so, I don't mind.

Also, do PC components go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or is it just devices and prebuilts? Is it worth waiting for those events to build a new PC?
    Sometimes components go on sale.

But the component sales often aren't as good as a sale for whole computer could be. Even if you could pick some components at sale, the rest would still be at normal price, and the total difference between black friday price vs. usual price isn't that great.

If you want to start waiting game, now isn't really that great time to wait. Usually waiting is best when some company is soon doing new CPU or GPU generation releases, and right now there are no important generation releases coming.

Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:

Sometimes components go on sale.

But the component sales often aren't as good as a sale for whole computer could be. Even if you could pick some components at sale, the rest would still be at normal price, and the total difference between black friday price vs. usual price isn't that great.

If you want to start waiting game, now isn't really that great time to wait. Usually waiting is best when some company is soon doing new CPU or GPU generation releases, and right now there are no important generation releases coming.
    I see. I will probably go ahead and pull the trigger then. Thanks for the help.

Waiting for - 

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Ozmodan said:

AMD put the 5500 next to the GTX 1650 at their presentation. It's supposedly around rx580 or a bit better. Have no idea where you got 1660ti from.
    As the rx580 can be found under 200 it stands to reason that the 5500 needs to also be below that to make sense.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    On paper, it looks like the Radeon RX 5500 should be about 50-60% as fast as the Radeon RX 5700 XT.  Here's a little bit of information about it:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14949/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5500-series-for-desktop-and-mobile

I'd say that's significantly slower than what the original poster should be looking at on a $1200 budget.