Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Myth Buster #2 - Deadlines don't matter

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited October 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Most indie / crowd funded MMORPG efforts have blown well past their original release dates, some by many years now.

Often this is dismissed by some as a  necessary evil or nothing to be concerned about, better Dev's take all the time necessary than rush the game out the door too soon.

Admirable goal of course, except for the inconvenient truth of burn rates.

Actually more of an investment term, it is basically the amount of money a team spends monthly for all expenses while not generating revenues.

On a fixed project budget it allows for a projection on when the money will run out, assuming no additional funding.

Of course, most indie efforts continue to raise more money through either investors or more crowd funding so this date can continue to move out but except for a few like Robert's Industries the tap isn't unlimited and one day there will come a day of reckoning, where it will be time to ship or get off the pot. ;)

I believe a couple of efforts are showing some signs of financial strain already, with increasing focus on raising additional funds to "finish the game" while providing less and less evidence of actual progress towards completing development and launching.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Post edited by Kyleran on
AmatheAlBQuirkyMendelbcbully

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I guess bloodstained ritual of the night is a example of a good well done crowdfunding game, they only problem I remember at least was the wiiU being scraped and going for switch, and offering anyone who back for Wiiu get they money back or change to another system
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Woo! Issue #2. Is this the Collector's Edition?

One big question is, how long can Brad and the other devs go with no income? For most of us there is a limit to that sort of thing. To me that date has a lot to do with the release date. 

I feel like if Brad really planned on taking this all the way to release, there would be a greater sense of urgency.

But if he plans to sell it to someone else to finish, taking his time and getting it just right on one large "proof of concept" zone , it makes sense. 
    KyleranAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Amathe said:
    Woo! Issue #2. Is this the Collector's Edition?

One big question is, how long can Brad and the other devs go with no income? For most of us there is a limit to that sort of thing. To me that date has a lot to do with the release date. 

I feel like if Brad really planned on taking this all the way to release, there would be a greater sense of urgency.

But if he plans to sell it to someone else to finish, taking his time and getting it just right on one large "proof of concept" zone , it makes sense. 
    he can always sell more ship skin, or land tittles, or family lines, or a hutt cartel for all we know, and more then likely people will still support this
    Amathe
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2019
    The actual myth is that the delays are due to innocent over-optimist projections or unexpected delays.

They know damn well they can't release when they promised but they also know you're more likely to "donate" for something 2 years away and not so much for something 7 years down the line... so they lie.
    AmatheKyleranAlBQuirkycheeba
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Part of the issue is that when you are dealing with "creative" projects, it's very difficult to assess when they will be done. 

Having been involved in many, I can tell you that this is definitely so.

So couple that with the idea that it's also "software development," one can see the problem. I worked for a software developer and I remember the team telling me that it was difficult to tell when things would be done. Of course, the scope of these projects didn't have the subjective component that "they have to be engaging and fun."

They just need to work.

Now tack on all the "fun" bits, the "game bits" the "it has to not only work but also be something that people want to play, and that adds a whole other axis.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Reaver4525Reaver4525 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Of course deadlines matter. But what matters most is an extremely competent project manager at the helm, who picks the right resources in his team, etc. Deadlines not being met has everything to do with the project manager not doing his job effectively.

Though if the project is truly massive and the deadline is reasonably extended, and the PM has been a good job all throughout, then it can be excused.

But too often especially with these crowdfunded initiatives, you have hastily put together teams of what are essentially Nerds with a great idea but terrible project management skills, and delusions of grandeur in terms of what they can achieve and under what time frame and costs. 

Generally speaking, avoid putting an artist as the project manager/director (Kojima I'm looking at you). The artist should provide the vision not implement it.
    Kyleran
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    The real myth is that anything besides crowd funding is the problem.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think more than anything, we are seeing developers with little-to-no project management experience.  The more competent the developer is, the more likely they are to be captured by large companies.  This leaves the less capable developer as the most likely people to undertake the massive undertaking of an MMORPG.  Coupled with a lack of experience running an actual business, this makes messes.

The crowdfunding model seems to encourage these type of projects.  The management isn't there and the teams don't have the necessary skills to plan these large projects.  The crowdfunding removes the perception that these operations are difficult, as money can always be found, and in the case of crowdfunded projects, is virtually free.  The company accepting this kind of funding isn't subject to the same protections and obligations as traditional funding methods.  The developers underestimate the burn rate, and soon find themselves working more at fundraising than actual game development.

In addition to the burn rates, these unprepared businessmen also underestimate the factors that contribute to that burn rate.  Everyone understands a salary because they get a check from their employer.  What they frequently don't understand are the costs of benefits, taxes, insurance and acquisition of those employees.  That's just personnel costs.  It doesn't include facilities costs, licensing costs and other general business overhead.

I consider myself fortunate.  I tried to jump into the MMORPG development world as an indie developer.  Fortunately, I couldn't get financing in the pre-crowdfunded era.  That saved me a lot of grief and financial stress.  It also taught me that although I could develop the underlying game, I couldn't do it alone.  I couldn't have run the business to build my game.  I had just enough business knowledge to be dangerous to myself.  Crowdfunding, had that been an option, could have allowed me to proceed without a solid footing.  I would have sunk, financially.

I wouldn't have liked the person I would have had to become in order to make my game.  I couldn't like with that.

KyleranReaver4525AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Gettem old man  >:)
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    It's kind of like the version 2.0 disease.   Where you make a team for your 2.0 release,  the problem is that that team will need to create every feature from when their team was founded AND every feature that your 1.something team is implementing while the 2.0 team works.   Meaning your 2.0 team has an unending goal post that they'll never be able to reach.

Instead in this case there isn't a 1.0 product that customers are using.   and your 2.0 team is instead a 0.5 team, that's racing against the imaginations of your marketing team and user dreams.    putting marketing in charge of product features, and user dreams in charge of them are pretty bad ideas (marketing only cares about what they can sell, and users are only good at noticing problems/better-things not what they actually want or the fixes for problems).   And your actual developers are in a TERRIBLE situation of not having witnessed your users use your software before, or knowing what problems existed in even a simpler version of the product.

So teams stuck in "eternal crowdfunding" are in a pretty bad situation, probably the worst possible one to be in all honesty.
    AlBQuirky

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    The thing is every manager set unrealistic deadline.  So they can push their worker to work harder and more efficiently.  

Most of the deadline are set assuming nothing went wrong.  Which something always go wrong.
    KyleranAlBQuirkyelveone