Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My dream

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited October 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

You don't have to read this, it's only my thoughts,

I missed out of First generation mmorpg's.  Last year I tried to capture the moment by playing P1999 only to find it "extremely out dated" in every way possible.  I have no ill feelings IN ANY WAY because I know it was an experiment done with poor technology for its time. 

I did however find great charm in it's concept of a total simple world given to the players to do as they please. 

It's like here's a fantasy world.  Make yourself a complicated character and do what ever you want, then try and make something of yourself.  

You can move left right, up down, /dance.  You can take the lift down and get the snot beat out of you continuously and no one would judge. 

The selfish in me want's:

1) No rules. 2) natural environment. 3) developers to stay out of it. 

I don't want a time sink sandbox where you find a rock, find a stick, attach the rock to a stick and chop a thousand trees. I already have a job. 

I want Sage of Lucimia…. I know things that many don't, that’s all I can say !

bcbullysumdumguy1

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    It sounds to me you want Minecraft as a MMORPG. Some have tried, maybe someone can give us an update on Trove? But the degree of sandbox needed conflicts with the degree of structure needed for questing and the likes. Maybe one day, but its a tall order for anyone to pull off.
    KylerananemoHawkaya399sumdumguy1
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Everquest wasn't the first to dip its toes into the fantasy MMO setting, Meridian 59 probably was the first to do so, Everquest was more a case of dunking the whole foot, exploration, character development as a continous process, improving skills/attacks etc. by using them and for low proficiency to have skills fail and spells fizzle, it was awesome, but you had to have been there when it was new to really appreciate it i guess. SWG took a lot of those things several steps further and created a heavier 'interdependance' the social aspects were amazing, the game will likely remain an icon despite the bugs.
    As for Saga of Lucimia, keep fingers crossed, because while you might have knowledge you think others do not, the truth is, like all of us, you do not know the things you do not know. :/
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    P1999 is too far back,geesh i didn't even like EQ1 at that time and i was pushed by several people to play it but i just couldn't.I have always tried almost every game but it only takes me a few minutes to realize if it is good enough or not.It wasn't until FFXI ,2003 that i really fell in love with a mmorpg,before that time i was all in on Quake,Doom,Unreal,Wolfenstein and many others all the  shooters.

I still feel people should have all played FFXI first before seeing anything Wow was doing,they would have learned more about mmorpg's in general and had a more versatile mindset other than ...let's RAID.FFXI was also the best ever actual grouping game that reinforced grouping and good team work and nothing was easy,just ask the thousands of groups that died in the Dunes.

Geesh i remember my first days just getting to the dunes,take a boat,ok no problem a bit of a risky jaunt but we get there.Ok boat sets sail,let's go out and take a look,this is cool....THWAP..dead,next person,THWAP dead...a nice little kraken was waiting up top and one shot every player.The whole group dead before we even got to the camp.You DO NOT see that in any other mmorpg ,especially not at low levels.

How about learning with no meters,no addons and playing with people of different languages using a language translator?Yep there would be a whole new mindset if DSL and online gaming was popular about 5 years before Wow,perhaps then we would be seeing a different mmo design than we see today.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    BTW a game some often hear me mention is Atlas.Well Snail games a long time ago had a mmorpg back in 2000 named Voyage century online.The game had several expansions with several cool ideas and included something we seldom see in any mmorpg...sailing.\
    Then of course we should recognize Ultima Online but i am never a fan of pvp gaming in a mmorpg but Ultima did a lot for the industry as well and might be considered the first real advancement  in mmorpg's before EQ1.

TO me there was a noticeable advancement in game design,from Ultima>EQ1>FFXI but then it all changed and we moved into the era of hand holding,markers,linear game play,automation,a lot of easy game play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scot said:
    It sounds to me you want Minecraft as a MMORPG. Some have tried, maybe someone can give us an update on Trove? But the degree of sandbox needed conflicts with the degree of structure needed for questing and the likes. Maybe one day, but its a tall order for anyone to pull off.
    EVE well fits most of his list, well besides not being able to dance of course.

;)

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Most of us want to have good income but don't know how to do that on Internet there are a lot of methods to earn huge sum, but whenever Buddies try that they get trapped in a scam/fraud so I thought to share with you a genuine and guaranteed method for free to earn huge sum of money at home anyone of you interested should visit the page. I am more than sure that you will get best result best Of Luck for new Initiative...Here For MORE INFO PLEASE just check this SITE....................https://bit.ly/2XHEWoU
    Have to admire their optimism, but seriously, how stupid would you have to be to fall for this rubbish. :o
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Wizardry said:
    P1999 is too far back,geesh i didn't even like EQ1 at that time and i was pushed by several people to play it but i just couldn't.I have always tried almost every game but it only takes me a few minutes to realize if it is good enough or not.It wasn't until FFXI ,2003 that i really fell in love with a mmorpg,before that time i was all in on Quake,Doom,Unreal,Wolfenstein and many others all the  shooters.

I still feel people should have all played FFXI first before seeing anything Wow was doing,they would have learned more about mmorpg's in general and had a more versatile mindset other than ...let's RAID.FFXI was also the best ever actual grouping game that reinforced grouping and good team work and nothing was easy,just ask the thousands of groups that died in the Dunes.

Geesh i remember my first days just getting to the dunes,take a boat,ok no problem a bit of a risky jaunt but we get there.Ok boat sets sail,let's go out and take a look,this is cool....THWAP..dead,next person,THWAP dead...a nice little kraken was waiting up top and one shot every player.The whole group dead before we even got to the camp.You DO NOT see that in any other mmorpg ,especially not at low levels.

How about learning with no meters,no addons and playing with people of different languages using a language translator?Yep there would be a whole new mindset if DSL and online gaming was popular about 5 years before Wow,perhaps then we would be seeing a different mmo design than we see today.

Sounds like so much fun 
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    i feel raiding is what really killed mmos and limited their potential. Of course my favorite all time game Dark Age of Camelot was literally killed by raids so there might be a little bias there :(
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    delete5230 said:

Last year I tried to capture the moment by playing P1999 only to find it "extremely out dated" in every way possible.  
    You played a 20 year old game and were disappointed that it isn't new?

And since you quit at level 6, do think you gave it a fair chance? 

I make these observations because someone might want to play P1999 who hasn't tried it, and you ought to give fair disclosure. 
    Sovrath

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    EVE well fits most of his list, well besides not being able to dance of course.

;)

Kyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited October 2019
    Wizardry said:

(I underlined what I'm referencing)

That sort of thing was removed when mmorpgs "advanced". You'd find the same sort of thing in old EQ. This was before MMORPGs "figured things out." Many players will say they like it the way it's now, but not all of us.

This explains it fairly well:
    https://slashlfg.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/the-importance-of-mmo-history-and-why-developer-hand-holding-is-killing-it-penny-arcade-com/ 

No more explorers

“It’s really hard for those things to happen in the game anymore, people are pretty jaded,” said Andrews. “There isn’t that same excitement about just playing and seeing what happens. The sort of organic nature of players seeing what can happen in the game is just less prevalent. And now the way MMOs are designed is to keep you flowing from one place to the next with no gaps.”

In many ways it’s boredom that coerces people into experimenting. It’s probably no coincidence that the Alliance characters who raided Andrews’ city were level-capped. They were probably bored and looking for someone to screw with to pass the time.

These days, MMOs are designed so that nobody ever gets bored and it may be siphoning the creativity and passion from the player base.

“When WoW was in its infancy, MMOs were brand new to so many people,” said Andrews. “For so many people WoW was their first MMO, and their first experience where there were a lot of people online. Now it takes something special to get people excited again.”

In a weird quirk, it may be the sloppiness and poor design of earlier MMOs like WoW which helped band people together. There are no shortage of in-jokes and great stories in WoW which extend from terrible voice acting or bugs.

The famous Blood Plague Incident, for instance all stemmed from a silly coding bug. It was one of the most famous and fondly remembered events in WoW’s history and it wouldn’t have been possible if the game was better made. Instead, it became an event which tied the community together and gave the WoW culture yet another common thread to hold together the community quilt.

“A lot of these games have a tendancy to hold your hand too much, and they lose that sense of adventure and exploration and cooperating with other people because you’re in a dangerous environment,” Andrews said. “A lot of the early MMOs had that and I’d like to see that come back.”

I don't think older games/mmorpgs being imperfect is the full answer. Back on those days the game makers didn't know as much as they do now about gamers. There's much more knowledge about gamer psychology, genres and subgenres.  Back then, there wasn't, so games tended to be a patchwork of different genres and gameplay. This made it slightly more difficult for gamers to find something they like because just knowing it was action or roleplaying or sports-oriented was only the tip of the iceberg.

Personally, I think the gamers who like survival (or sandbox) games are drawn to that sort of gameplay hinted above (by the linked article and your quote about being killed in transit to a camp). The rest hate it. Survival gameplay is harsh and players who prefer it will generally not be angry or repelled by negative consequences or repeated deaths. In fact, they're perversely motivated by it to overcome. Sandbox games are more creative, so it makes sense to me plaeyrs who like that kind of game will do well when the game's rules break down, or when they're bored or there're gameplay gaps. Players who're less creative NEED direction or a story to be happy.

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    Sovrath
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    You just described Second Life pretty much.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Lmao SoL has A LOT of rules. One big one. No PvP.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    No it doesn't have a lot of rules, that's a fact ! 

@bcbully There are hundreds of PvP games for you.... Do you want EVERY game for you ?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    bcbully said:

@bcbully There are hundreds of PvP games for you.... Do you want EVERY game for you ?
    I see what you did there ?

Let’s be real. Project Gorgan at this time looks better and plays better. 

To to be honest I’m waiting for @Kyleran today a myth busters on this one.
    Kyleran
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    bcbully said:

I see what you did there ?

Let’s be real. Project Gorgan at this time looks better and plays better. 

To to be honest I’m waiting for @Kyleran today a myth busters on this one.
    What? That you want every game for you?

Figured that is pretty much a given. 

;)
    Amathe

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Mor Myth Busters. Mor. Mor.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited October 2019
    Amathe said:
    Mor Myth Busters. Mor. Mor.
    Patience, there will be, gaming just presents boundless "opportunities."

;)
    Amathe

• Reaver4525Reaver4525 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited October 2019

I don't want a time sink sandbox where you find a rock, find a stick, attach the rock to a stick and chop a thousand trees. I already have a job. 

That's not a sandbox...That's a survival game.

Sandbox is more about freedom to do what you want and usually much larger maps.

Kyleran

That's not a sandbox...That's a survival game.

Sandbox is more about freedom to do what you want and usually much larger maps.

What ever it is I want no part of it.

Collect 300 grass and the such
    Kyleran
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't think you actually know what you want.

You make posts like these all the time in bursts, and every time you realize you didn't want what you wanted the last time and you hop onto another game to idolize. Wasn't it Pantheon or Camelot Unchained you were making thread after thread about last time and how modern games were too easy and needed to go back to oldschool systems?
    Reaver4525Tiller
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    I don't think you actually know what you want.

You make posts like these all the time in bursts, and every time you realize you didn't want what you wanted the last time and you hop onto another game to idolize. Wasn't it Pantheon or Camelot Unchained you were making thread after thread about last time and how modern games were too easy and needed to go back to oldschool systems?
    That's why I said Second Life, open world shitbox, he can do whatever he wants, dance if that's his thing, and most of the people who play that hate other MMOs. He would fit right in there. :D
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter