Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Discussion: Can PvP and PvE Coexist? - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageForum Discussion: Can PvP and PvE Coexist? - MMORPG.com

Can PvP and PvE coexist? This is the discussion taking part in our forums right now. Join in!

Read the full story here

Comments

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    So news on this site now is picking an ongoing forum topic and posting about it in the news and features section?
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    A touch of irony in their choice to feature @delete5230 's thread, but good to see his chat ban is over, welcome back.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Viper482XarkoMendelScot[Deleted User]Kumaponwingood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

mmolou said:

So news on this site now is picking an ongoing forum topic and posting about it in the news and features section?

Hey, at least we know the people running this site are actually reading what we're saying.

It does create a duplicate discussion though, even if their intent is to bring more attention to forum topics they think are interesting.
    bcbully
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Fascinating conversation? Did this guy just start reading the site? This is the 3218th time this exact topic has been discussed on here.

Let me guess, the next few fascinating discussions:

Are cosmetic items P2W?
    Can PvE games really be P2W?
    Are lootboxes gambing?
    Cake vs Pie?
    mmolou[Deleted User]BalianWolfieXarkonfacatriusKyleran[Deleted User]Kumaponswagholeanemoand 2 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157

Fascinating conversation? Did this guy just start reading the site? This is the 3218th time this exact topic has been discussed on here.

Are cosmetic items P2W?

Are lootboxes gambing?

Cake vs Pie?

First off, Pie>Cake you piece of *!#(

j/k =P
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    More blatant thread jacking by MMORPG giving no credit to the original poster. You guys are professional as hell. Lots of integrity too.

I guess the other "Have you called in sick from work to play" thread wasn't a coincidence. Did MMORPG get taken over by a bunch of street urchins who pick pocket to survive? Sheesh.
    bcbully
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Unless game companies separate PvP and PvE skills similar to how FFXIV does it, than nope they can't because there will always be balance issues and metas.
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

More blatant thread jacking by MMORPG giving no credit to the original poster. You guys are professional as hell. Lots of integrity too.

I guess the other "Have you called in sick from work to play" thread wasn't a coincidence. Did MMORPG get taken over by a bunch of street urchins who pick pocket to survive? Sheesh.

Can you not read? The second line in that post says "OP delete5230 originally posted the following", thus giving credit to the Original Poster by name, and linking to the original thread.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Roinwingood

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    PvP and PvE can only coexist if PvP is consensual or limited to PvP zones. Dark Age of Camelot, Elder Scrolls Online, City of Heroes, etc. I would probably enjoy PvP if it was done in the spirit of Role Play (i.e. attack another player because they insulted your honor, picked your pocket, or got busy with your favored concubine). But senseless attacks just because they get their jolly ganking newbs is not fun for the average PVE player. And contrary to what PvPers like to espouse, there are more PVE players out there than PvP players within most MMOs.
    FacelessSavior

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Aion is the lesson here with it's much vaunted at launch PVPVE. How did that go?
    Subscription game reduced fairly quickly to ftp. EU game sold off to a wallet grab publisher.
    Gankers paradise for anyone trying to actually pve.
    Busted idea is busted.
    Hariken
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited October 2019
    The only Pvp I've really liked was in SWG, I think they did it with an eye towards the best of both worlds.  It was all faction based and for open world it was consensual; you had to flag yourself for it, plus they had zoned Pvp area's and once in awhile in the early years the GM's would step in and create mixed PvE/PvP warfare zones in the city's.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• HunctucavetoHunctucaveto Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Cake, the rest of the discussion is dull.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    JudgeUK said:
    Aion is the lesson here with it's much vaunted at launch PVPVE. How did that go?
    Subscription game reduced fairly quickly to ftp. EU game sold off to a wallet grab publisher.
    Gankers paradise for anyone trying to actually pve.
    Busted idea is busted.

Aren't there plenty of PVE games that have gone FTP rather quickly?  Aion maybe failed because it was a bad game in general, not just because it allowed pvp.
    Sovrathbcbully
  • szharperszharper Member UncommonPosts: 15
    There is no PVE only MMORPG. If you cannot interact to other players besides TRADE, its not an MMORPG imho. Many MMO's fail on how to implement the PVP system.

1) Absence or Little punishment for the PKer - Griefers will walk around thinking thier are kings of the game, sometimes this creates whole guilds of scumbags. If the game is full loot on death, dear lord....indeed paradise.

2) Too much punishment - Usually the punishment is so high that PVP is avoided at all costs. Although some players would create a char just for griefing.

3) Zones ONLY for PVP - This is a a problem to both sides, if a PVP Zone have a rewards for PVP, PVErs will complain, if the zone have no or low rewards..well no point of doing the PVP.

4) "MMSOG's" Massive Multiplayer Solo Online Game - Games where you have no necessity of allies or groups. They are solo games where everyone play at same server, so the absense of groups to stand against de predators also generates the imbalance

Ken Kesey - "“This world . . . belongs to the strong, my friend! ..."
    (it's a big statement google for the complete version)

This applies to REAL LIFE and for sure on MMO's, like or not, stronger devours the weak...but as well protect them. If the PVP mechanics is well implemented, you will see PVPers fighting but a very limited number of griefers. Don't get me wrong, people will still be able to attack, that is part of the adrenaline of the adventure. I dont usually see PVErs complaining that they died from a mob or in a DG/RAID that was stronger than them, but usually they will if its a player.

I'm also a great advocate for the best gear be obtained only trought some process that PVP is involved, for example: open DG/RAID, Commerce route that is dangerous (weather/mobs/other players), Seiges/region control, etc... I'm in favor of the gear be able to be sold/trade, so the PVE strict player can have access, but they will need understand they have thier limitation as they are not doing the full content. Like saying "I wanna lose weight without stop eating lasagna", well you will need work a lot more to get the goal, same as a PVEr.

InebriatedSkunkHatefullswaghole
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Unless game companies separate PvP and PvE skills similar to how FFXIV does it, than nope they can't because there will always be balance issues and metas.

Even if you separate them there are balance issues *cough* GW2
    So why not have open world PvP as an option like SWG.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I doubt vanilla WOW was the only game that got open world PvP right. Blade & Soul has a great system for example.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• stebo104stebo104 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Forget if pvp and pve can coexist, need to find out if blizzard (more importantly activision) can survive this dumpster fire they just created. People got to remember activsion controls everything that blizzard does so they are the ones to be aiming at, not just blizzard.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Come on, MMORPG.com staff.  Do we really need a PVE and PVP thread to compete with the other one?  This one can't be considered an editorial piece, as the OP merely quotes snippets from the other thread and offers no opinion of their own.

Yes, the other thread was created by @delete5230.  But he comes up with some good ideas occasionally.  If people look at the topic's creator and reject it, that's their loss.  No need to step all over his topic.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Are cosmetic items P2W?
    Are lootboxes gambing?
    Cake vs Pie?
    My vote is cake for everyday and pie for special occasions.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Mendel said:
    Come on, MMORPG.com staff.  Do we really need a PVE and PVP thread to compete with the other one?  This one can't be considered an editorial piece, as the OP merely quotes snippets from the other thread and offers no opinion of their own.

Yes, the other thread was created by @delete5230.  But he comes up with some good ideas occasionally.  If people look at the topic's creator and reject it, that's their loss.  No need to step all over his topic.

This one has a some art to accompany it though.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Of course. PvP is and always will be a mini game.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    NO, THEY CAN'T PERIOD. And I'm really getting sick and tired of devs trying to push this crap on the players. Like putting important rewards from PVE in PVP zones. It's why I refuse to support games or the devs that keep pulling this kind of BS any more. And if your end game is nothing but PVP you can keep it.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Flag to PvP, unflag to stop doing that and go about your life. There, all that is needed in any MMO.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]wingood
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I just hate maintaining a PVE set and PVP set.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976

Are cosmetic items P2W?

Are lootboxes gambing?

Cake vs Pie?

It is a perennial issue which may always divide us, when you saw the knee jerk reactions to the idea Pantheon was going to release as PvP (it was not but posters just read the first sentence) you realise it is as relevant today as its always been.

I don't get that many opportunities to raise the flag for Realm versus Realm, they are expensive and not seen as a core essential when it comes to MMORPGs. So I welcome the chance to raise RvR where you get the best of both worlds. It is like nature or nurture, some questions don't go away.

As to your questions:

No.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Cake when I was younger, but I no longer have a sweet tooth so its pie now. :)