Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riot warns League of Legends streamers and players to avoid 'sensitive topics' on the air

1235»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Utinni said:
    Wraithone said:
    DMKano said:
    Riot is a Chinese owned company - no surprise. 

They can get bent together with Blizzard.

Anyone who stands in support of any country that still runs concentration camps can fuck right off.
    Totally agree. But what is Gitmo? No, they are not the same. But the fact remains that Gitmo is a national disgrace.

Gitmo houses folks without any real evidence of wrongdoing, indefinitely, without legal counsel or recourse. We also just abandoned a race of people(kurds) to fight against our allies who want to commit genocide. The west is outraged about a video game player being banned while people around the world are being murdered in senseless wars every day. 

Plenty of people around the world would love for "freedom of speech" to be their biggest issue.
    Gitmo as you probably are aware, is where terrorists and others captured during military actions are kept, those who are eventually released are the ones who had no evidence of wrong doing against them. As for the Kurds situation, perhaps the Army should not have been there in the first place, if Turkey is killing them off, well its not like they don't have a history of it #Armenia, not that the Kurds are paragons of virtue, far from it.
    Yes people are killed senselessly every day, that will always be the case, that is why you have to choose which 'fights' are worth engaging in, Hong Kong i think is, the Kurds, not so much. :/
    NorseGod
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Good on riot to be clear about the rules, so the e-athletes can choose what is more important to them. 

As for the Blizzard situation... 

Has anyone seen the ban player complain beyond the usual... No... Because i am pretty sure this was a calculated risk and as noted it paid of handsomely. Much like in any other sport or organized venue... You break the script and you run the risk. That is why most "live" tv is not live any more but rather has a delay to it so the people in the control-room can hit the big red button should someone go off the script. 

This have been a good conversation

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    tawess said:
     e-athletes  

[Deleted User]moshra[Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited October 2019
    It is not strange that the commercial aspects of our societies do not want to be used for an engagement of political discourse. If companies come out in favour of political parties it never ends well. There is one place companies do come out in favour of a political party though, totalitarian regimes.

I think it is hard not to have concerns about both Hong Kong and China's growing role on the world stage. But we can't let such concerns blind us to unequivocal support of everyone who voices them.

I am not sure posters understand the wider implications here. There are solid reasons that in a democracy you have lines drawn between politics and the rest of society: business, religion and so on. The only countries who don't have such lines are not ones you would actually want to live in. This is partly why business and politics should be separate, not used as a vehicle for political messages, it is not as if we don't have any other ways of getting a message across other than a corporation's branded channels.

We have allowed social media to become our touchstone for truth, the reaction of social media to take precedence in fact over any other element of our society. This is a dangerous road, the vagaries of social media should not be used to decided anything.

I see many supporters for the fellow who voiced his support for Hong Kong, but this was because they support the message. Well what if it was a political message you did not support? Who then gets to decided if it was the right thing to do? The stone throwing mob of social media?
    IceAge
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Phry said:
    Utinni said:
    Wraithone said:
    DMKano said:

Anyone who stands in support of any country that still runs concentration camps can fuck right off.
    Totally agree. But what is Gitmo? No, they are not the same. But the fact remains that Gitmo is a national disgrace.

Gitmo houses folks without any real evidence of wrongdoing, indefinitely, without legal counsel or recourse. We also just abandoned a race of people(kurds) to fight against our allies who want to commit genocide. The west is outraged about a video game player being banned while people around the world are being murdered in senseless wars every day. 

Plenty of people around the world would love for "freedom of speech" to be their biggest issue.
    Gitmo as you probably are aware, is where terrorists and others captured during military actions are kept, those who are eventually released are the ones who had no evidence of wrong doing against them. As for the Kurds situation, perhaps the Army should not have been there in the first place, if Turkey is killing them off, well its not like they don't have a history of it #Armenia, not that the Kurds are paragons of virtue, far from it.
    Yes people are killed senselessly every day, that will always be the case, that is why you have to choose which 'fights' are worth engaging in, Hong Kong i think is, the Kurds, not so much. :/
    You think hong kong protesting extradition legislation proposed by their own government is more important than preventing genocide of a people that helped us in recent wars? 
    Utinni said:
    Phry said:
    Utinni said:
    Wraithone said:
    DMKano said:

You think hong kong protesting extradition legislation proposed by their own government is more important than preventing genocide of a people that helped us in recent wars? 
    Nobody is stopping you from flying over there and joining the Kurds.
    jimmywolf[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited October 2019
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:
     e-athletes  

Well.. That was a well thought out and mature response.. 

Utinni said:
    Phry said:
    Utinni said:
    Wraithone said:
    DMKano said:

Hong Kong is very different, people in their millions are protesting against China taking away their human rights, the people of Hong Kong are not terrorists and have not engaged in terrorist activities, which is why i would rather support them, than the Militant Communist Kurds. You can't save the world, its just not possible. :/
    tawess said:
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:

Not anymore ridiculous as referring to video games as "sports". I understand why the need to call video games "e-sports", so that it opens the door to calling gamers "e-athletes".

Now why would anybody want to be called that, I wonder?

There's only one reason why and it's not going to work. 
    kertincheeba[Deleted User]
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:

Not anymore ridiculous as referring to video games as "sports". I understand why the need to call video games "e-sports", so that it opens the door to calling gamers "e-athletes".

See.. had you posted that instead of your initial offering... That would have been much better.. But you felt you had to be a posterior primate... So... Why? 
    IceAge

tawess said:
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:

See.. had you posted that instead of your initial offering... That would have been much better.. But you felt you had to be a posterior primate... So... Why? 
    A picture often paints a thousand words, people who engage in e-sports are not athletes, they are gamers, well, there is a certain 'perception' about gamers physiques, so yes, its not going to work.  :p
    NorseGodcheeba[Deleted User]
    tawess said:
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:

If you don't understand it, then I won't be able to explain it to you. But, you'll understand in time. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Utinni said:
    If China effectively picks who is in charge in Hong Kong, it isn't really their own government.

Since you seem to be unfamiliar with the source of the protests, I'll explain it.  China effectively has a dictatorship, and if you criticize the dictator, or more broadly, the government, they can punish you severely for it.  They can concoct bogus charges and have you arrested and imprisoned for however long they like.  They don't have an independent judiciary, but will just do whatever the dictator wants.  China's government is nominally Communist, but really just a dictatorship, as they don't believe in the Communist ideology at all.

Hong Kong was a British colony for many years.  Near the end of the 19th century, there was a deal between Britain and China (then ruled by the Qing Dynasty) that China wouldn't object to Hong Kong remaining a British colony for about the next century, and then Britain would return the colony to China after that.  Near the end of that, Britain and China signed another treaty that the handover to the Communist government would indeed happen shortly before the turn of the millennium, but China would respect Hong Kong's freedoms for 50 years under a "one country, two systems" principle.  Basically, Hong Kong would be nominally part of China, but largely able to rule themselves as they pleased.

China has slowly been chipping away at the freedom that they promised to Hong Kong.  The extradition bill that sparked the protests basically said that if China asked for someone in Hong Kong to be extradited, Hong Kong would do so.  This would effectively allow China to arrest and imprison anyone in Hong Kong for any reason or no reason at all.  Basically, if you're in Hong Kong and you criticize China's dictator or do anything else that the government there dislikes, they can create fraudulent charges, get you extradited to China proper, and then imprison you for as long as they like.  Under the extradition law, the government of Hong Kong wouldn't protest this at all.

Extradition treaties are common across the world, but this one is peculiar because of the asymmetry.  In the United States at least, treaties typically have a dual illegality requirement.  That is, if a foreign country wants the US to extradite an American, the US won't cooperate unless the crime is something that is also illegal in the United States.  For example, if an American commits murder in Canada and then Canada asks for him to be extradited to face trial, the United States will cooperate.  If Canada asked the US to extradite someone for the crime of claiming that the world was flat (yes, I realize that this isn't a crime in Canada; it's a hypothetical example), then the US would refuse, as saying stupid things like that isn't illegal in the United States.

The dual illegality requirement is important because it means that the US won't extradite Americans to despotic regimes to face bogus charges.  For example, the government of Turkey wants the US to extradite the basketball player Enes Kanter for criticizing the dictator of Turkey, and the US refuses to do so.  I'm sure that the government of Turkey has made the charges sound more serious than that, but all sides realize that criticizing the dictator is the underlying "crime", and that's why Kanter is free in the United States.  I suspect that the dual illegality requirement is common to many or most extradition treaties, but am unfamiliar with most such treaties.

Hong Kong's proposed extradition law doesn't have any such protections.  Were it to pass and be enforced, it would effectively mean that the government of China could capriciously arrest, imprison, torture, and execute people in Hong Kong for any reason or no reason at all.  Considering how willing they are to do that to people in China (e.g., the Uighur genocide currently ongoing in Xinjiang province), people in Hong Kong have plenty of reason to object to that.  (People all across the world who value freedom likewise have reason to object to it.)  Hence the protests.
    Scotcheeba
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    NorseGod said:
    ^ But you're the one who is pouring accelerant everywhere (as per usual).
    Hmm.

Do you think him making threats of violence should go unchallenged?
    Hey! Still here I see? 

What about "None of that is what you said. This is the first time in your hypothetical, that there was some some guy yelling and screaming, flexing on you and your kid."

...where I literally showed you that it was not the first time. I understand not wanting to reply to something you were wrong, but at least , be the guy you pretend to be and say "I'm sorry! My bad. You did said it and I didn't paid attention".

What's worst is that you are still going and going against me, even tho, the discussion was kinda over. So, what are you really trying to achieve in here?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    LoL is one of those games that I have no idea how it became so successful......The gameplay was blah and the community was just awful.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I love people with little knowledge of geo politics telling others to risk their lives.  Kurd situation is way more complex than just keep troops in Syria.  Kurds want a homeland made from Turkey ,Syria, and Iraq.  Those countries say no.  Kurds in Turkey doing terrorist like attacks to create it.  Kurds came into Syria with US troops to kill ISIS and to try and hold land for a US and EU backing for a homeland.  Without the US pushing Turkey all the way to Russia, Iraq to Iran, and fighting all three backed by Russia it is not happening.  Plus the number of troops there was not going to do it without a massive influx of troops.  Is the EU and US families up to risking their kids to fight sovereign nations to create a new nation that we would then have to build up completely?
    NorseGod[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:

If you don't understand it, then I won't be able to explain it to you. But, you'll understand in time. 
    Then again... Simple minds find simple entertainment i guess. 

One should be careful with assumptions... They have a bad habit of making an arse out of you. 
    IceAge

tawess said:
    NorseGod said:
    tawess said:

Then again... Simple minds find simple entertainment i guess. 

One should be careful with assumptions... They have a bad habit of making an arse out of you. 
    Thanks,

Knock'em dead, champ.

This discussion has been closed.