Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Details Dark Fool In New Live Stream - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCamelot Unchained Details Dark Fool In New Live Stream - MMORPG.com

Camelot Unchained's latest live stream detailed the Dark Fool, plus more updates.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Beta lol.....right.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Cool
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    There is no in game footage so we must be talking at least 2 or 3 years to launch?
    YashaXViper482
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66

Scot said:

There is no in game footage so we must be talking at least 2 or 3 years to launch?

Backers are under NDA, so no gameplay footage unless it comes from the devs themselves.
    Scot
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    More conceptual stuff that isn't in the game yet.  

"Keep in mind, the Dark Fool is not ready yet for testing. However, the team assures us that this will be their focus next week."

Or sometime within the next two years.  Let's just keep playing it fast and loose with timelines.

Viper482
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2019

Scot said:

Backers are under NDA, so no gameplay footage unless it comes from the devs themselves.
    Strangely enough the devs rarely release any in game footage....always keeping things firmly under the NDA cloak.

So my guess is they still feel it wouldn't put the game in a very flattering light yet.

So 2 or 3 more years might not be inaccurate. 

:D 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

Strangely enough the devs rarely release any in game footage....always keeping things firmly under the NDA cloak.

So my guess is they still feel it wouldn't put the game in a very flattering light yet.

And yet its still releasing this year ... until the team agree otherwise.
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

I can't tell if you really believe this or if you're being sarcastic.
  • TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    edited October 2019
    They are supposed to be showing some stuff off sometime this October. MJ has said so over on MassivelyOP. At least I think it's in October.. it's either this month or next.
    Kyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2019
    When i read about this CUBE idea i just thought zzzz another Minecraft type game.Then the whole premise behind playing this game is to pvp each other..zzzzz.

If this was their goal to make it EASY to design and write mods,they could have  licensed the Atlas engine that comes with a modding dev kit likely saving 2 years and likely at a very reasonable price.

I know i shouldn't complain about hand drawn maps,dragging terrain points around but you know what,it doesn't look any better than fro example Atlas's game world.It likely will look much worse.

I really do not get the intrigue of wanting a tri faction pvp game,i really don't it doesn't do anything to excite me.If i was interested and wanted to pvp,i would want tons of factions like 20+ all with some npc factions,some roaming  some not so much.

Then because there are so many low budget games all doing the same thing,this game has to compete with the likes of Crowfall for example.I think at one time Mr.Jacobs thought this was a good idea but now with such a flooded gaming market,the piece of the pie is so small it is not worth it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited October 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

Neither.

I am simply repeating what MJ has said. Are you suggesting that MJ is being sarcastic? Delusional? Dishonest? I'm not. I struggle with the idea that MJ is coming out with 100% bullshit.

Now I don't know the current state of the game and there is the NDA etc. Yet there are lots of posts suggesting that the game is "years" away.

Yet I struggle with the idea that the team is so bad at estimating a release date that they can - knowingly - be so far out. If they are that raises lots of flags. And its now October and its still "this year".

And the only way I can square the circle is if "something" is launching "soon". Nominally this year (maybe a bit later but my now they should know). A something that may not be at all what people expect.

So not sarcastic or believing more "puzzled". 

Post edited by gervaise1 on
    edited October 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

Neither.

I am simply repeating what MJ has said. Are you suggesting that MJ is being sarcastic? Delusional? Dishonest? I'm not. I struggle with the idea that MJ is coming out with 100% bullshit.

Now I don't know the current state of the game and there is the NDA etc. Yet there are lots of posts suggesting that the game is "years" away.

Yet I struggle with the idea that the team is so bad at estimating a release date that they can - knowingly - be so far out. If they are that raises lots of flags. And its now October and its still "this year".

And the only way I can square the circle is if "something" is launching "soon". Nominally this year (maybe a bit later but my now they should know). A something that may not be at all what people expect.

Are you aware of MJ's history with time estimates on this game?

And, knowing what we do know about the state of the game's development, are you telling me that you still think there is a remote chance the game will launch this year?  There is an NDA, true, but you can tell from MJ's updates that the development is still largely conceptual and is in what's traditionally considered to be an alpha state, or even pre-alpha.  But if you want to ignore what he's been releasing and what we've been saying and believe the game may come out this year, simply because of what he has said, go for it.
    meddyck
    Arterius said:
    They are supposed to be showing some stuff off sometime this October. MJ has said so over on MassivelyOP. At least I think it's in October.. it's either this month or next.
    I don't know what they would show. Unless its stuff that backers aren't allowed to play because the game isn't even there yet. I can't say much because I am under a NDA but this game is barely in alpha
    That's another huge red flag.  If they truly wanted to be forthcoming and transparent about the game, they wouldn't still have an NDA in place after all this time.  They give constant updates about all the wonderful things that are supposed to be coming to the game soon, but they won't let the masses see what's really going on in the "beta."  Doesn't anyone wonder what it is they're trying to hide?
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

I recall MJ replying to one of my posts on MOP back in June they were still on track to deliver this year.

He also went on to say if that changed they would first tell their investors,  and then update their backers.

Although I'm an alpha backer I have never logged into their forums or logged into the game as it would be too confusing for me to discern what I could discuss being bound under their NDA.

Another alpha backer on these forums stated about a month ago MJ did provide an update on the release status on the backer only forums but of course didn't state what it was and I didn't go look.

My guess is they didn't tell everyone to prepare for an imminent launch and there's been little evidence that there is even a remote chance of it happening this year.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

Neither.

And, knowing what we do know about the state of the game's development, are you telling me that you still think there is a remote chance the game will launch this year?  There is an NDA, true, but you can tell from MJ's updates that the development is still largely conceptual and is in what's traditionally considered to be an alpha state, or even pre-alpha.  But if you want to ignore what he's been releasing and what we've been saying and believe the game may come out this year, simply because of what he has said, go for it.

Yes I am aware. (Also aware that DAoC released unfinished.)

No I am not saying something is going to release. MJ (and team) has. 

Lets assume that you are right. Which I have no problem at all with btw. That raises some serious issues.

As I said yes I am aware of previous estimates. Its one thing to say a couple of years and it turns out to be 4 or 5 etc.

Its a whole other level of incompetence though when its no longer early days and "within 6 months " turns out to be maybe 3 years or whatever.

And with less than 3 months to go ... at that point devs really should "know". With some degree of confidence. 

So - rhetorical question - is it:  
    a) MJ / team are totally incompetent at estimating - not just bad but galactic orders of magnitude bad. from there.
    b) MJ team know but its their secret
    c) something is releasing.

@Arterius 's post highlights the same  "problem". MJ says something is releasing, @Arterius is also "puzzled" (hope that captures the posts intent). 

If - as you (I think) say its a) - badly out with the estimates - there are huge implications. If there time estimate is massively out their financial estimate must be as well. And since this is more of an "investment" funded development - there being so little crowdfunding - and investors want a return on their investment their original business plan must be looking increasingly optimistic. If - for example - money from game sales was going to pay for developers etc. post launch and instead it goes to reduce investor loans ...... 

Just to be clear though I have no issue with your view. Its the "official" statements that leave me puzzled, bemused etc.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited October 2019
    This is another game stuck in perpetual development that kind of burns my ass; only I actually want to play this one.

When is it going to launch ffs? We just wanna play it already.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

Neither.

Yes I am aware. (Also aware that DAoC released unfinished.)

No I am not saying something is going to release. MJ (and team) has. 

Lets assume that you are right. Which I have no problem at all with btw. That raises some serious issues.

As I said yes I am aware of previous estimates. Its one thing to say a couple of years and it turns out to be 4 or 5 etc.

Its a whole other level of incompetence though when its no longer early days and "within 6 months " turns out to be maybe 3 years or whatever.

And with less than 3 months to go ... at that point devs really should "know". With some degree of confidence. 

So - rhetorical question - is it:  
    a) MJ / team are totally incompetent at estimating - not just bad but galactic orders of magnitude bad. from there.
    b) MJ team know but its their secret
    c) something is releasing.

@Arterius 's post highlights the same  "problem". MJ says something is releasing, @Arterius is also "puzzled" (hope that captures the posts intent). 

If - as you (I think) say its a) - badly out with the estimates - there are huge implications. If there time estimate is massively out their financial estimate must be as well. And since this is more of an "investment" funded development - there being so little crowdfunding - and investors want a return on their investment their original business plan must be looking increasingly optimistic. If - for example - money from game sales was going to pay for developers etc. post launch and instead it goes to reduce investor loans ...... 

Just to be clear though I have no issue with your view. Its the "official" statements that leave me puzzled, bemused etc.

I understand.  The only thing I can suggest is, when MJ says anything relating to a release schedule, simply don't take it seriously.
    Viper482Kyleranmeddyck
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

Because it looks like ass.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    The only saving grace for CU is the lack of a general PVE world.

Can you imagine if they still had to develop a world full of NPCs/quests/dungeons, etc., like most MMOs have.

Since the focus isn't there, there's a chance that it might release in under the next 2 years.  But this year?  Yeah, there's no way.
    Kyleran
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    It's not going to release (with all launch features) this year or next year, and possibly not 2021 either.

Maybe late 2021 or sometime in 2022.

Development slowed waaaay the fuck down, at leasr from what I can play in alpha tests, since they got building destruction in.

It's just got a long way to go, and NOTHING in this game's development has gone as fast as anyone expected, and most of its taken far longer.

They still need moving islands, the AIR system, group functionality, guilds and economic structures, NPC interactions, integrated gameplay loops.

They still need to make all of that fun.

Then they need to bugfix it.

Then they need to polish it.

Then market it, and bugfix it some more.
    meddyck
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Jacobs still releasing concept art this far into development. Not good, folks.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    It's not launching this year. That should been obvious for months to anybody just from reading the weekly updates. It's not even in Beta 2 yet and they haven't even given us a vague date for when that will start (I'd guess next summer) and when they do give us a vague date they'll inevitably miss it or only hit it by deciding a bunch of stuff that had been considered required didn't actually have to get done like they did with Beta 1. If they even get the final support class, Skalds, in the build and finish the Linux server conversion by the end of the year, I'd consider that good progress for CSE. But that leaves out a lot of stuff that will need to be done just to get into Beta 2 let alone launch.

Barring an amazing speed up in dev productivity which we've seen no sign of to date, launch next year seems pretty doubtful too. I expect the state of the game update in October (or whenever it actually happens since even doing things like that often happens late with this game) to be full of optimism about launching in 2020, but I see little reason for anybody to believe that. Late 2021 launch is my current guess assuming they don't cut corners or leave out a lot of content for after launch in order to launch sooner.

And that doesn't even start to address whether the game that actually launches will even be fun. There's a long way to go to achieve that goal.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer