Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lord of the Rings Online Improves Its Minas Morgul Pre-Orders With New Items - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Lord of the Rings Online Improves Its Minas Morgul Pre-Orders With New Items - MMORPG.com

Fans who have pre-ordered the Minas Morgul expansion of The Lord of the Rings Online are in for a bit of a surprise, as the team behind the MMORPG have added a new item to improve the offerings. For the Ultimate Fan and Collector's Editions of the expansion, crafters are going to get a boon with the new Carry-All item.

Read the full story here

rpmcmurphy

Comments

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    edited October 2019
    so is this saying you are going to have a shared bag of space that can be accessed by all of your guys this line from their post confuses me.
    'Carry-alls are Bound to Account, sharing crafting materials amongst your characters becomes easier."
    that seems to indicate shared across one account but maybe not. anyone have insight on this. And I love all the lotro coverage.
    Pirraya
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 561

Abimor said:

so is this saying you are going to have a shared bag of space that can be accessed by all of your guys this line from their post confuses me.

'Carry-alls are Bound to Account, sharing crafting materials amongst your characters becomes easier."

that seems to indicate shared across one account but maybe not.
    anyone have insight on this.

And I love all the lotro coverage.

I’ll reach out for clarification!
    Thanks! If it is shared that's awesome
  • MoonragerMoonrager Member UncommonPosts: 6
    From different statements from the Devs:

Cordovan:
    Small Carry All is ten individual crafting item stacks, and each stack can hold up to 2,000 of the item.
    Large Carry All is fifty unique crafting item stacks that each stack up to 5,000.You can't craft items from the carry-all, you'll need to take it out of the carry-all.

RedPanda:
    You can't craft items from the carry-all, you'll need to take it out of the carry-all.
    The worry about being destroyed- currently like with any item there's a confirmation window. What I can ask about is making it so that to actually destroy it you'll need to type in a text string like you do with LIs, no promises.

Setting specific filters sounds like a cool feature to work into in the future.

So the bags hold X amount of "unique" items like wheat, up to a certain stack size. So for wheat if you have 3000 of that item in your carry-all, it counts as 1 unique item in the carry-all.

Also you can throw the carry-all into shared storage on one character and take it out with another and it will still have all its stuff. EDIT- by this I mean it's a Bound to account item that you can move between your characters by throwing it into your shared storage, swapping characters, and picking it back up out of the shared storage.

My apologies- the carry-all is a bound to account item, you cannot move the carry-all from one account to another.
    You can however, move it from one character on your account to another character on your account.

crit chance items go in there too.

Re: Exposed to LUA for add-on apps:
    That's a great question and way out of my realm of knowledge and expertise I'll see if I can find out anything about it.

Discussion Forum link:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?675844-Crafting-News!
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    No, items in the carry-all cannot be accessed by your other characters (but you can transfer the bag to your other character if you like, while it is full of items).

No, you cannot craft from the carry-all, you have to move items to your regular inventory first to use them.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Not sure who this is aimed at.

"Crafters" will have all craft skills covered on different characters; each will have a large vault and potentially a kinship house as well. With a decent sized shared bank storage as well of course to transfer things around. And The Wallet needless to say to maximise storage further.

Basically they have had a long time to hone their craft(s).

Assuming these items are destined to make there way into the store I think a better implementation would be to do something like The Wallet - even if it was per character.

Now if only crafting meant something. It certainly doesn't need storage for thousands of materials.
    [Deleted User]Po_gg
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Making you remove things from the bag to use them is annoying. They should sort that out.

If this thing can be stored in your bank, though, that'll free up tons of shared bank slots for me.
    Viper482
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Ya same here we'll have to see how it works

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    edited October 2019
    So, it frees up space in your regular inventory bags, only for you to have to empty out the spaces it freed up in order to put the crafting materials back into your inventory bags when you need to craft, likely meaning you need to run to the vault..... which is what I already have to do without needing that additional carry all bag! They needed to do like GW2 does and allow you to craft without materials being in your main bags.
    I don't know about guild wars but eso crafting bag is awesome. Right now I use a chest in the kin house to move things between crafters.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'd add +1 to what gervaise1 and Torval said above, I simply don't see a target audience either...

While I believe gervaise's statement of "Now if only crafting meant something."  is a bit harsh, crafting really is splitting the playerbase in two, with very few in the middle: the crafters and those who ignore it entirely.
    Crafters are already set, as it was described precisely above (I too use a similar layout, with crafting alts, shared storage and house chest to spread out the mats), and using this new carry, putting in and out stuff all the time when you want to craft, sounds like an additional hassle for the tiny benefit of larger stacks.
    For the other group, it's completely useless, non crafters will never see a 2k stack of anything crafting-related, let alone 5k...

On a sidenote, if Panda is correct (and I'm sure that's the case) with "by this I mean it's a Bound to account item that you can move between your characters by throwing it into your shared storage" then it also has the possibility to harm other server economies too, if market players jump on it and start to move thousands of stacks of mats between servers. Unless SSG excludes it from transfer, but I doubt they're thinking that far ahead :)
    [Deleted User]
    Since we were a bit dissatisfied ( :grin: ) with the Carry-All at the announcement, I believe it's only fair to bump this thread for an applaud to a better and overall more useful change regarding crafters.

"We want to let you know about a change in Update 25 that didn't get into the notes: Characters may now join a second Crafting Guild once they have reached Expert level in a Crafting Profession. Joining the second Guild will have no effect on the progress of the original Guild."
    [Deleted User]
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 561
    Torval said:
    Po_gg said:
    Since we were a bit dissatisfied ( :grin: ) with the Carry-All at the announcement, I believe it's only fair to bump this thread for an applaud to a better and overall more useful change regarding crafters.

"We want to let you know about a change in Update 25 that didn't get into the notes: Characters may now join a second Crafting Guild once they have reached Expert level in a Crafting Profession. Joining the second Guild will have no effect on the progress of the original Guild."
    That is good news for players like me. I can now refine my crafting setup. This makes my play on Legendary servers more interesting because I enjoy building a crafting stable but I don't want to level that many characters. A couple professions suddenly got much more interesting.

People were chatting about the Carry-All bags in global last night that confirmed my skepticism. Carry-alls would need a few big changes to be useful to me. Basically, make it like ESO or go home. The limits, poor feedback, need to use shared storage of some sort to transfer them, and no crafting integration makes them a poor value.
    This is honestly my topic in tomorrow's Lotro article.
    [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    Torval said:
    That is good news for players like me. I can now refine my crafting setup. This makes my play on Legendary servers more interesting because I enjoy building a crafting stable but I don't want to level that many characters. A couple professions suddenly got much more interesting.
    Yep, for well-settled players it only gives some convenience - but a welcomed change still. However for up-and-comer crafters, whether a new player or a veteran's new start on a fresh server, it's pretty big. For a full setup they need to raise 2-3 characters less, which is a huge chunk of time spared.

Don't get me wrong, as an altoholic I love to make new characters :)  But I can understand how a crafter can see it as a chore to make new alts not for the theme or the character itself, only for "and you'll be the guilded scholar".

I'm more biased on the new slotmachine interface, to be honest. Looks better, that's true. But it's a change with an incentive of gambling... the previous version only showed the slot wheel, so just the players with gambling issues paid for extra spins. You could still get the loot tables for both, through external sources (wiki, etc.)
    This new interface presents the droplist right into the face, since the lootboxes in other games proved, it supports the impulse purchases when people see the chance brackets and the drops within those brackets.
    Also, since it presents both tables, easy to crosscheck the better chances and drops of the Gold wheel (which crosscheck you could get as well in the past from the wiki, etc.) so it also incentivise the VIP.

But I agree, it looks better. I like the hobbit portraits for example, since it's a daily hobbit present.
    [Deleted User]
    And what about the (heavy) metal, who will make your tools and shield? :)
    Sure, that's why the system is built on interdependencies, so crafters actually trade with each others... my planned layout (since I'm not in a position of fresh start on new servers atm) is rather the following 4 for the full coverage:
    Armourer    - prospecting                  - metalsmith and tailor
    Historian     - farmer                          - scholar and weaponsmith
    Woodsman  - forester (and farmer2)  - woodworker
    Tinker         - prospecting2                - jeweller and cook

Explorer is an optional 5th (that's why I wrote previously the 2-3 characters less), for the convenience, explorer is the perfect gatherer vocation.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Everyone else is talking about how useful, or how un-useful, this stuff is for players, and I'm sitting back here thinking "Oh shut up, AoC hasn't had an expansion since 2010!"

But seriously, this game came out a year before AoC and is still being supported.  Must be freaking nice!
    [Deleted User]Po_gg
    Torval said:
    I'm a huge fan of having Hunter and Warden Explorers. Except for scholar mats I can hop out anywhere in the world and harvest anything I need for any of my people.
    Yep, that's why I added it as a convenience option :) Perfect gatherers, usually my first character on a server is always an explorer and pile up a large stack for the following ones.

I agree with the other point as well... universal toolkit took a heavy punch in the armourer's stomach. But that was in the past, the tier raises were slowly turning it back, the top tier tools give now a noticeable plus. Not to mention the heavies, I usually have all 3 classes on the roster, they are thankful for an in-house armourer (I used to enroll my guardian for the task).

H0urg1ass said:
    But seriously, this game came out a year before AoC and is still being supported.  Must be freaking nice!
    AoC? Why stop there, how about AO? :) (not to mention TSW, rest in peace, bless its soul)
    Funcom simply doesn't give a damn about their games anymore, they clearly stated it at the logo change and the Legends launch. Their MMORPGs are in limbo now, eternal maintenance mode - eternal, of course, until they pull the plug.

(sidenote, the 2010 is up for debate... sure Vanaheim was just a scam and Turan is mostly just an expansion pack, but Dragon's Spine was a nice sized expansion. Can't match up to Godslayer, but still was an expansion, at least imo)
    [Deleted User]
    Who knows, nothing's impossible with their recent direction...
    High-elves, and you can now make elf captains.
    Stout-axes, and you can now make dwarf burglars.
    <some made-up tribe or family>  with the following expansion, and you'll be able to make hobbit champions :)
    [Deleted User]