Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Catnip Games Acquires Operating Assets of Portalarium, Including Shroud of the Avatar - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    TEKK3N said:
    NorseGod said:
    Shame on you Garriott. You scammed us all!
    You're just noticing the trend? This is what him and McQuaid do. They're do it again and you'll give them money again. All because they did something 20 years ago.
    Apples and oranges.

Pantheon is mainly funded by Mcquaid and some investors that he managed to involve.
    The amount of crowdfounded money is minimal.
    No Kickstarter and the founders pack are reasonably priced and do not give any ingame advantage (no Castles, Titles or overpowered items).

Pantheon is the game that least rely on crowdfounded money.
    Well Brad TRIED to fund Pantheon via Kickstarter... but failed.  
    And what this has to do with my point?

I just replied to someone who said the same thing.

The game is being done mainly with Mcquaid money and its investors, yet people keep saying that he is in it to scam all those people who supported the game through crowdfunding.

I am just correcting some asinine assumptions.

Point is, Mcquaid really wants to do this game, and since he couldn’t do it through crowdfunding, he managed to find another way.
    He has more to lose than any other indie developer if the game bombs.
    That’s why I believe he will try really hard to make the best game he can.
    Of course that’s not guarantee that the game will be a success, but that’s for another thread.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited October 2019
    TEKK3N said:
    NorseGod said:
    You're just noticing the trend? This is what him and McQuaid do. They're do it again and you'll give them money again. All because they did something 20 years ago.
    Apples and oranges.

Pantheon is mainly funded by Mcquaid and some investors that he managed to involve.
    The amount of crowdfounded money is minimal.
    No Kickstarter and the founders pack are reasonably priced and do not give any ingame advantage (no Castles, Titles or overpowered items).

Pantheon is the game that least rely on crowdfounded money.
    Good heavens no, clearly you have been mislead / misinformed.  :D 

This direct quote from the September Dev blog completely dismisses the long running myth which has been propagated about Pantheon being largely self funded.  (Perhaps at the beginning, not any more)

”I wanted to take a moment to talk a little about how Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is funded, and to introduce our newest revenue generator.

As you probably already know, the bulk of our funding comes directly from you, through crowdfunding. Your pledges allow us to keep the lights on and keep the team fed. Any time we see an increase in revenue, our creative and finance folks put their heads together to decide where it can best be invested in Pantheon. Do we bring on a permanent team member? Do we hire an outside contractor? Do we buy new tools? Or something else entirely? This process keeps us nimble in development and can accelerate production timelines.”

“From the entire team, thanks for your continued support to bring Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen to life. We couldn’t do it without you.”

We who live under the bridge well understand the reality of any situation, even when others are still blinded by the white light.   >:)

https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_september_underwraps/

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2019
    Kyleran, you need to read that as “we are running out of money, NOW we need your help to keep going”

Do you really believe that they sold many of those Funders Packs?
    Why there is no information on how much money they raised through crowdfunding, unlike every other crowdfunded game does?

Because they didn’t raised much, and that’s for the same reason the Kickstarter failed.
    People do not trust Mcquaid.

Personally I think this distrust is way overblown.
    He did a mistake, he ain’t a good manager and Vanguard as a result was a mess.

This time around he put the right people in the management position, he learned from his mistake.
    But it appears people still don’t want to give him a second chance, no matter how hard he tries.
  • HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72

Vrika said:

BruceYee said:

Isn't this the same thing SOE did with Daybreak and Warner Brothers with Lotro to prevent lawsuits. Pass game off to "former" employees in a "new" company that worked for previous company. Making it seem like the company changed hands when really it's just legal hocus pocus so no one can sue em'.

No. Sony sold SOE as a complete company, and SOE still exists even if under different name. If someone wanted to sue them, they could.

This is much more alarming because Portalarium transferred all their assets. An asset transfer like this leads to a situation where Catnip games does need to fulfill Portalarium's obligations. It's normally used as a means to avoid paying your bills while still continuing the operation.

Don't think so, Portalarium didn't transfer their liability to Catnip. Usually an obligation to produce or provide something is a liability for a company, not an asset. I doubt Chis would want that liability as he hates shipping stuff.
    edited October 2019
    TEKK3N said:
    Kyleran, you need to read that as “we are running out of money, NOW we need your help to keep going”

Do you really believe that they sold many of those Funders Packs?
    Why there is no information on how much money they raised through crowdfunding, unlike every other crowdfunded game does?

Because they didn’t raised much, and that’s for the same reason the Kickstarter failed.
    People do not trust Mcquaid.

Personally I think this distrust is way overblown.
    He did a mistake, he ain’t a good manager and Vanguard as a result was a mess.

This time around he put the right people in the management position, he learned from his mistake.
    But it appears people still don’t want to give him a second chance, no matter how hard he tries.
    No moving the goal posts bucko, he did not say it the way you said, if he wanted to clarify he could have easily state as such.  

There is no “proof” of significant investment outside of some early seed round funding quite some time ago.

Also the rest of that introduction goes on to discuss all of the swell new backer appreciation awards they are giving those who pledge, as well as a brand new store to buy (overpriced, according to some) physical merchandise such as shirts, cups and what not.

Regardless, as Brad orginally said they had all the money to deliver the game in hand, once again he lied (or was wrong) about how long creating it would take, and he’s out of money, just like what happened with Vanguard.

Where do you see any evidence of him learning from his previous mistakes, seriously.  

Your faith is severely misplaced IMO, and you don’t see the forest for the shiny trees on display.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2019
    When did he lie about Vanguard?
    To whom?
    His investors? AKA Microsoft who pulled out of the game just two years into the development?

Vanguard wasn’t crowd funded, It was Microsoft funded.
    Once Microsoft pulled out, there was zero money to finish the game.
    The game was released by SOE, after Mcquaid was long gone.
    So if you bought Vanguard and were disappointed, blame SOE not Mcquaid.

He just mismanaged a game, ONE game, you all act like he is some kind of terrorist.

Pantheon didn’t raised much money through crowdfunding, there is no evidence of that, except Mcquaid spinning it that way.
    You expected him to admit that not many people backed the game?
    This is not a good way to promote confidence on future backers is it?

Is this a lie? Maybe.
    But in business this is called bending the truth, which is a common practice, to give the impression the business is doing better than actually is.

Do you seriously believe that Pantheon made millions out of his funders pack only?
    Did you check what the rewards are?
    It’s all fluff. Nothing serious whales are interested in.
  • Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Don't matter to me, its gaming as usual. Chris already stated once again that nothing changes and sounds like a SOTACON they were showing off Ep2 stuff. will have to see todays live stream to see what was shown I hope.

Im happy with him taking over :)
    Kyleran
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Deyirn said:

Didn't his father pass? That's usually what happens to people that lie and deceive. Eventually they get the most precious taken out of them. Karma.
    What now?  Is that how karma works?  It punishes someone for their negative energy by killing a human being close to them?  Damn, what a shitty belief system.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    OG_Zorvan said:
    NorseGod said:
    And Koster will be the next to fill his coffers this way.
    Good catch.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I expect one day we’ll get a “game closure” fee or some such nonsense.

:D 

Don't give them anymore ideas.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    This was awesome news for the players as Chris will get things where they need to be.

As to ep2. that is dec. first part of new lands is coming then and they stated the new pots will be able to start placing.

Also the game is not going to close doors anytime soon. just around 5000 subs was stated yesterday.

that is 540,000 usd per year just from the subs alone.

Also Richard and Star Long are still with the team they are not leaving its business as usual. Richard is and has always been around. he still comes in during events, as well on friday streams when he is available. next year they are also doing SOTAcon at his castleton property.

Slapshot1188Kyleran
    Xee2018 said:
    This was awesome news for the players as Chris will get things where they need to be.

As to ep2. that is dec. first part of new lands is coming then and they stated the new pots will be able to start placing.

Also the game is not going to close doors anytime soon. just around 5000 subs was stated yesterday.

Also Richard and Star Long are still with the team they are not leaving its business as usual. Richard is and has always been around. he still comes in during events, as well on friday streams when he is available. next year they are also doing SOTAcon at his castleton property.

Seriously? There just are no downsides in your life, I imagine after the doors close (wait, they already did) you'll find something positive to say about it.

Acceptance is the first step towards recovery you know.

;)

Kyleran said:
    Xee2018 said:

Seriously? There just are no downsides in your life, I imagine after the doors close (wait, they already did) you'll find something positive to say about it.

Acceptance is the first step towards recovery you know.

;)
    "Around" 5K subs.  Sure, sure.  You can believe what they say.  And none of them use Steam.  We know.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Deyirn said:

Didn't his father pass? That's usually what happens to people that lie and deceive. Eventually they get the most precious taken out of them. Karma.
    big wtf for you.

And "no" that's not how karma, if there is such a thing, works.  :#
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    gervaise1 said:
    Chris Spear's stream with info here: Simple summary: cost reduction move. Also: “The development team remains with the project, and we plan to continue with the established patterns of regular releases, frequent live broadcasts, community events, release parties, and a development cadence focused on both constantly improving the core game, while also working towards Episode 2.”

Does this really change anything though? Some unanswered questions certainly.
    I'm not an entrepreneur or businessman, but I'd say cut out the Live Broadcasts, Community Events & Release Parties and quadruple down on the Releases/Development.

I'm speaking out of school here, but is that old fashioned or something?

Gut Out! 

What, me worry?

Gutlard said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Chris Spear's stream with info here: Simple summary: cost reduction move. Also: “The development team remains with the project, and we plan to continue with the established patterns of regular releases, frequent live broadcasts, community events, release parties, and a development cadence focused on both constantly improving the core game, while also working towards Episode 2.”

Does this really change anything though? Some unanswered questions certainly.
    I'm not an entrepreneur or businessman, but I'd say cut out the Live Broadcasts, Community Events & Release Parties and quadruple down on the Releases/Development.

I'm speaking out of school here, but is that old fashioned or something?

Gut Out! 

If they have any spare cash at all, they need to invest in some advertising to attract new players.  It sure as hell isn't happening through Steam, which one would think would be their best bet, but which turned out to be a total flop.  IDK where they could advertise to get those new players, though, at a reasonable price.

Who knows, maybe the few remaining players really do have perpetually deep and open pockets to keep the game going.  They seem to not only willing to accept whatever the developers throw at them, but to be genuinely happy with it.
  • wkyfamwkyfam Member UncommonPosts: 38
    So RG bailed on another game? It's 2019, is this really a surprise? When was the last time he was involved with any game that was remotely good? RG has coasted on a couple of successes for more than 30 years now. It is time the community stopped rewarding this and stop throwing money at any project with his name attached.