Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Astellia Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAstellia Review - MMORPG.com

Over the past three weeks, Astellia has been at the forefront of my game playing library. Developed by Barunson E&A Studio, Astellia is a generic Korean MMO which has been “redesigned” for western audiences. This is not the first eastern MMO with haughty ambitions of luring western audiences in, but does Astellia have what it takes to call players to it, or will MMO gamers be left searching the stars for something better?

Read the full story here

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    If you ask me, based on your Pros this should be a 7.5. I mean, I agree with a 4 to 5, but 'beautiful' , 'tons of content' ,'well balanced combat' ...is just.. I didn't see this!
    Lastlaughlolgastovski1doomexLecram6468arbi15PhaedruslivesQuicksandsschruppSequriem

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Great write-up! I actually thought the game was beautiful as well, and have had a lot of moments where I had to stop and take a screenshot because of how lovely the lighting and scenery was. I just...wish the game itself was better. It's kind of underwhelming and I didn't find myself enjoying the combat at all. :( It's not an absolutely terrible game, but it's not a great one either. Just not my cup of tea!
    maskedweaselCynehild
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    DMKano said:
    Tons of content? 

Not at end game - this is precisely why the game died in Korea the first month post launch 

5.8 - a bit too generous - 3.8 maybe. But opinions vary.

Either way - Astellia is not a game that should have ever been brought to the west- the devs realized they failed in Korea, (where the game is full maint mode - they abandoned development)

So of course - they just wanted to cash in on the western market - they still wont add any end game content so this is a cash grab.

If Astellia still had a team of devs working hard to make the game better - might be a different story. 

But it's a dead game with major issues that is trying to cash in on western playerbase. 

Yeah - no thanks

Also "redesigned for western audiences"?????

Hahahahahahahahahah 

Adding class genders.... please
    why not? bless worked for a time its not?

just wait for the whole f2p to happen if you want to test the game

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Oof. You know your game is bad when it gets a lower score than Anthem and Fallout 76.
    ScotxybedoutHatefullwingoodPurplePepegastovski1doomexTacticalZombehinfomatzpantaro
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    The graphics do look nice, but like the OP that's about it from what I have seen of this MMO myself. I am not sure why they call it a classic MMO, to me it offered some poor gameplay elements which when put together detract from a solid MMORPG experience. But I am sure it will have its fans, these sort of games always do reasonably well.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    MMORPG is way to generous when it's about reviews. IE: 7/10 Fallout 76
    Asm0deus

Aeander said:

Oof. You know your game is bad when it gets a lower score than Anthem and Fallout 76.

meh both anthem and f86 was over hyped like hell, so yes sometimes I found games scored less then both and was better

not this case though :p

it will be like bless all over again, someone will bring a crapp mmo to west, try to milk the supporters, then go free2play to try and keep milking the supporters by feeding new blood, then close
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly it looked kinda fun, but I wasn't going to drop 30 dollars on it without knowing if there was going to be enough content. Not really sure how they are going to keep this going if Kano is correct that it's in maintenance mode in Korea, unless the devs in the west have the ability to add their own content (which I really doubt). 
  • VicusEQVicusEQ Member UncommonPosts: 103
    This review kinda feels like it was done just because "I had to do it". The combat is as good if not better then many other recently released MMO's but since it's similar there was little effort into explaining it. The story is also IMO better then many other MMO's for one reason, your astellia's actually par take in the story and follow you around to add tid-bits to the story as you progress. Cutscenes, astelles, and dialog add much better immersive then other asian mmo's that just spam a wall of text.

They also only after 2 weeks added legendary dungeons which change the endgame a bit, detailed equipment system (like aion/tera) and world bosses that are so tough no one has attempted them yet because they 1 shot you. There is also a PVE collisum event with leaderboard that people haven't been able to get far into yet because it's going to take some gear to progress futher into that.

It has it's flaws..by far. I dont like the gold spam and some translation issues once or twice every 5 levels or so but this game is 10x better then bless online or most asian mmo's since Tera. 7/10 leaning toward 8 because it has a solid base that can expand on. Bless was a 5/10 closer to 4.

With that...I still dont plan to play it long term because Im not going to settle for generic MMO's, I want some new and legit but if I had to play something this would be it. combat has a combo system that increases damage if you knockdown or debuff them first ect. It's more then just push button and forget.
    maskedweaselRhiow-Darkstepversulasarbi15
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    5.8 eh? Even a 4 would be pushing it, but reviews are just opinions by a different name anyway.
    [Deleted User]
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Dungeon ticket recharge time
    Decrease of dungeon ticket recharge time
    Increase max dungeon tickets
    Unlimited teleport to teleport to teleport manager
    An item that collects loot from player for 24h

hahahahahahah i did not even read this thread , went straight to the buy page and checked it's content ..you are welcome now move along.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Didn’t play it, but personally I am tired of all those manga looking games.
    Oyjordarbi15TacticalZombeh
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Was expecting to see 8 or 7 on this as with most things. Actually surprised to see a number closer to what I feel is a true representation of this one. I am sure there are many people that are enjoying it an I hope it works out for them in the long run. In all honesty though this game was lacking in a lot of ways for me personally. It was sad I was looking forward to this one, downloaded it during the beta didn't make it a day before I had uninstalled it. The combat didn't flow for me, the clunky feeling of the game overall left me not wanting to play more. It's really sad though because I think they have a good idea with the pet system but it just didn't pan out in the long run, at least for me.
    maskedweaseldoomexinfomatzBodeanG
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2019
    I guess Stephen is perfectly fine with the little loli-girls following him around calling him master and making sex noises during combat.

Creepy ass game for wanna be pedo bears.
    It kind of reminds me of Aika Online with its pran companions. I loved the Realm vs Realm PvP in that game but not the Pran system. Though, if memory serves, at least that game had the decency to let you hide/stow them as little Navi style glowing fairies. 

What is the Asian obsession with fetishized children?
    alkarionlogIselinOyjordmaskedweaselarbi15
    edited October 2019

DMKano said:

Jensyn said:

Great write-up! I actually thought the game was beautiful as well, and have had a lot of moments where I had to stop and take a screenshot because of how lovely the lighting and scenery was. I just...wish the game itself was better. It's kind of underwhelming and I didn't find myself enjoying the combat at all. :( It's not an absolutely terrible game, but it's not a great one either. Just not my cup of tea!

It is a terrible game once you start end game dungeon grind - I guess you never made it to that point (which is a good thing)

Not yet! Awwww man don't tell me that - I'm playing through it for a review elsewhere. I don't mind grinding a little, but when endgame is centered around it.. yuck.
    what MMO today is not centered in some kind of grind on endgame?

as long is not a raid grind i'm fine

the problem is there is better games around, who are f2p

I'm at work, so I'm kind of distracted and didn't do a great job of conveying what I meant. There are different types and levels of grinding. I don't like when it gets to a point that you are spending more than 2-3 hours in the same spot grinding one type of mob. I enjoyed playing BDO up until I hit what was the 'endgame' when I was playing at launch. At that point it's just like beating your head against a brick wall and becomes a chore instead of a hobby or pastime.

Can't speak to what Kano is saying with the dungeon endgame because I haven't made it there yet, but I can only assume if the dungeons are grindy, then the raids (if there are any) would be too.    
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited October 2019
    I tried this in beta and it was meh. I don't always agree with DMkano but in this case he was right. Frankly I am having more fun in Destiny 2 f2p with my son than I could ever have in this game.

EDIT: I give this a 4/10

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 109
    Hi All, just a few responses.

@DMKano I would never review a game under 4 unless it was completely unplayable. Astellia is largely playable, and it even has some good points to it. No doubt it could inevitably go free to play at some point, and in that way, it could be considered a cash grab, sure.  Most of these "conversion" of eastern titles to the west are "cash grabs" in a way, and I find it interesting many of them start with a Buy to Play model, likely in hopes to break the stigma of launching a Free to Play title. 

Keep in mind, my Bless review score was 5.5, and this is only marginally better than that, primarily due to the way combat is presented. It just didn't make sense in Bless. 

As for end game, you're right, it's largely rehashed dungeons, most of which you've already worked your way through.  Can't really fault them too much for that, there are a lot of games that don't even really have that in place, and this is essentially the same as what games like GW2 launched with.  There are an ample number of dungeons though, and the community, as of right now, is pretty active in completing them. 

@VicusEQ you're correct on some points, I didn't expand much on the combat, because it's largely the same as every other MMO on the market.  The story, I will disagree with you on.  Yes they have some cutscenes, most of them centered around dungeons. The vast majority of the story is delivered in quasi-cinematic story text.  You're watching your characters, who have short voiceovers, as you scroll through text after text to obtain the quest.  The story just isn't woven particularly well, and the only heroic feel you really get is when you're doing dungeon quests.  Who doesn't like being the "hero that will save everything" but you're still fixing wagons and collecting feathers from the same kind of creatures from the first zone, when you're near the end of your journey. 

@Jensyn ; Don't let the review sway you too much, try and enjoy it for what it is.  In all honesty, the combat didn't pick up for me until the mid 20s on my mage.  It seems the archer and warrior have a much easier go of things. Looking forward to your opinions! 
    [Deleted User]lotrloreJensynShinobe
    Jensyn said:

I'm at work, so I'm kind of distracted and didn't do a great job of conveying what I meant. There are different types and levels of grinding. I don't like when it gets to a point that you are spending more than 2-3 hours in the same spot grinding one type of mob. I enjoyed playing BDO up until I hit what was the 'endgame' when I was playing at launch. At that point it's just like beating your head against a brick wall and becomes a chore instead of a hobby or pastime.

Can't speak to what Kano is saying with the dungeon endgame because I haven't made it there yet, but I can only assume if the dungeons are grindy, then the raids (if there are any) would be too.    
    by dungeons grinding it means pretty much rerun dungeons over and over for the boss drops who normally a low chance of that drop, see blade and soul, they do this a lot, bless had this, since you need to rerun the last dungeon for mats to craft the gear, rider of icarus you ahd to rerun dungeon for gear drops with the options you want, (also random, and sometimes even gettign the gear it can come with crap options), so on, a lot of games do this, wow too but theya re more raid griding(with is the same with blade and soul)

pretty much you need to make a group, and rerun the same content over and voer, and in the end fight over the drop with bids and/or rolls, also some of these are behind some certain mechs you are forced to do to finish said dungeons, with also lowe the number of possible people doing said content since they or internet suck, or they fingers, with force you know people before hand to have then play together

that is the general way of dealing with this games.

with bring me to aion, and why I liked it the most, I could go alone and pvp, or just do some dailys, and even alone I could go for a fort battle if the fort did open, before fort battles could happen during the day, out of the normal war times, with made the races be always aware of a possible battle, too bad they never made full use of these features, and then removed then all together,

you had to grind fort battles and pvp, and to get things faster run the fort intances, but they was not required, its not what the joke is aion today
  • PurplePepePurplePepe Member UncommonPosts: 122
    I'm not inclined to try it personally. If it finds a core audience and people like it, good for them.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I guess Stephen is perfectly fine with the little loli-girls following him around calling him master and making sex noises during combat.

Creepy ass game for wanna be pedo bears.
    It's the elephant in the room for most of these Eastern MMO imports that no one wants to talk about apparently.

Just imagine the outrage if Pixar dressed their little girls the way it's standard in these games. They'd get roasted and rightly so.

But in gaming? Mum's the word.
    alkarionlog
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

DMKano said:
    Tons of content? 

Not at end game - this is precisely why the game died in Korea the first month post launch 

5.8 - a bit too generous - 3.8 maybe. But opinions vary.

Either way - Astellia is not a game that should have ever been brought to the west- the devs realized they failed in Korea, (where the game is full maint mode - they abandoned development)

So of course - they just wanted to cash in on the western market - they still wont add any end game content so this is a cash grab.

If Astellia still had a team of devs working hard to make the game better - might be a different story. 

But it's a dead game with major issues that is trying to cash in on western playerbase. 

Yeah - no thanks

Also "redesigned for western audiences"?????

Hahahahahahahahahah 

Adding class genders.... please
    Didn't they gender unlock classes in the most halfhearted, non comittal way possible?

Didn't they only (so far) add male exclusive classes to female characters? Which is a step guaranteed to make them more money (aka why every new class in TERA started out as female exclusive). I would be surprised if they ever enable the female exclusive classes on males.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The game is in maintenance mode in Korea. If this is true then why bother spending money on it?