Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

0-60 Solo

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Ok let me start by saying that I am not suggesting one ought to solo. I love grouping when I can.

But if you want to solo to 60 here is how I did it, long, long ago at launch.

Roll a mage.

Load up on gear that has the suffix "of the Eagle" (stamina and intellect).

That's it. The most enemies you will usually encounter at one time is 3. Sheep one. Blow one up. Kill the third in close quarters (that's what the stamina is for, because you are going to get hit). Now blow up the sheeped one.

If you play a mage and think that you have to run anytime something is in your face, quit WoW and go play a ranger in EQ lol.

Do all the quests you can find.

You will reach 60 pretty quick. 

Enjoy!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

kertin

Comments

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I'm hunter and I do solo mostly and skin everything but I do dungeons here and there to get some gear/weapons. No need to solo to 60 you can always group for dungeons or even when killing same mobs as someone else in the area.
  • fyehu43fyehu43 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    DeadSpock said:
    I'm hunter and I do solo mostly and skin everything but I do dungeons here and there to get some gear/weapons. No need to solo to 60 you can always group for dungeons or even when killing same mobs as someone else in the area.
    Yeah, it's unbelievably easy to solo stuff as a hunter :)

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Amathe said:

If you play a mage and think that you have to run anytime something is in your face, quit WoW and go play a ranger in EQ lol.

Ranger is one of the tankier and more melee-oriented classes in EQ. Did you mean to say hunter in WoW?
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    great advice for year 2006 maybe :D, well too bad we are almost in 2020 :/
    cheeba
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Roll mage, spec frost, cast frost shield, mount up, pull load of mobs, dismount, cast blizzard, they get close frost nova then cone of cold.
    cheeba
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Is that what you want from a mmorpg,a level number?
    I could pick ANY game i love to play and the idea of a level number would never cross my mind.

If i ever start to care about the level number,i'll just quit playing...period.That is why i laugh at people who do those speed runs and the people watching like it is good gaming.

It really appears to me that VERY few actually understand how to play and enjoy a mmorpg.Here is a hint.......it is NOT a race.
    IselinAmathe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:
    Is that what you want from a mmorpg,a level number?
    I could pick ANY game i love to play and the idea of a level number would never cross my mind.

If i ever start to care about the level number,i'll just quit playing...period.That is why i laugh at people who do those speed runs and the people watching like it is good gaming.

It really appears to me that VERY few actually understand how to play and enjoy a mmorpg.Here is a hint.......it is NOT a race.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?
    vandal5627pantaro
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Wizardry said:

It's whatever I make it. My subscription fee, my game experience. It's not for you to say.

Sometimes I like to race. Most times I don't care. Again, my choice. 

This post was not a white paper on how to level fastest. I was making people aware that as the game existed in 2004 (which Classic is not entirely) there may be more soloing opportunities than meet the eye. Nothing Earth shattering.

But then people twisted it, so I cast my pearls before swine. :) 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Or spec frost and kill all three together ;)
    That's fine later on but warlocks and hunters can handle multiple mobs in Classic much, much earlier than a frost mage. It's why they were ranked as the best solo classes 15 years ago and again these days.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Utinni said:
    Amathe said:

Ranger is one of the tankier and more melee-oriented classes in EQ. Did you mean to say hunter in WoW?
    That is funny. You must be playing EQ in 2019. Because if you mean in early EQ, hahahahahaha. Ranger down!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I play mage in classic. Hunters are 2x better at soloing imo. Warlocks are like 1.25 times better. I think mage is better than the rest after that. Frost is so strong in general. I've been rolling with another frost mage I met in game and it is absolutely brutal in PvP. 
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Title is misleading.

Should read:  When playing a game designed for a community of people, here is how you can avoid all of that.
    Amathe
    Geeky said:
    Title is misleading.

Should read:  When playing a game designed for a community of people, here is how you can avoid all of that.
    Good choice of avatar.

I never said "Hey everyone! You should solo!" I merely relayed my experiences soloing.

And I don't care how you think I should play. 

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    This thread confuses me.

Not only can you play every class 0-60 solo you can play every spec 0-60 solo, the only difference is the speed you level at. WoW was never NOT solo friendly for leveling.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Siris23 said:
    This thread confuses me.

Not only can you play every class 0-60 solo you can play every spec 0-60 solo, the only difference is the speed you level at. WoW was never NOT solo friendly for leveling.
    This.

You can entirely skip all Dungeon content and level just by doing normal quests.
    There are at least 2 different zones for every level bracket, most times 4 overlaps.

A well geared fury Warrior can level pretty fast too.
    WoW isn’t exactly solo unfriendly.
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555
    Amathe said:
    Geeky said:
    Title is misleading.

Good choice of avatar.

I never said "Hey everyone! You should solo!" I merely relayed my experiences soloing.

So genuine question - do you primary prefer soloing? I find I get burnt out in MMOs without that interaction, but I know there are plenty of people who prefer that experience.
    Iselin said:
    Or spec frost and kill all three together ;)
    That's fine later on but warlocks and hunters can handle multiple mobs in Classic much, much earlier than a frost mage. It's why they were ranked as the best solo classes 15 years ago and again these days.
    Don't tell me - I'm actually playing a hunter as main :)
    And I a warlock with a hunter as my highest alt :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

lotrlore said:
    Amathe said:
    Geeky said:
    Title is misleading.

Good choice of avatar.

So genuine question - do you primary prefer soloing? I find I get burnt out in @lotrlore without that interaction, but I know there are plenty of people who prefer that experience.
    lotrlore :

It depends on the game, my gaming goals, available time, what sort of guild I am in, and what is going on in my life.

In EQ I grouped whenever I could get one. 

In SWG I mostly soloed, only grouping when my guild (or whatever we called it) did something.

In CoH I would say it was split 50/50.

In EQ2 (in all of the several times I tried it) I mostly soloed. 

in GW1 I grouped whenever I could.

in GW2 I mostly soloed. Just grouped for the weekly guild stuff. Which I hated but felt obligated to do.

In WoW (the first time) I mostly soloed, with some grouping. 

In WoW (the second time) I mostly grouped and raided.

In WoW (the third time) I split it 50/50.

In SWTOR I mostly grouped and raided. 

In the Secret World I mostly soloed, but grouped maybe 20%.

I don't have a bright line rule I follow. Nor am I arguing for one for others to follow. I go as my mood takes me. Because if there were any rules for mmorpgs, Rule #1 would be that in games, people are AT PLAY. What is fun as "play" depends on the individual. Certainly I have played enough games to know what soloing offers and what grouping offers in terms of what I personally enjoy. 

P.S. Soloing does not mean being a hermit. I talk to people (guild chat, friends, etc.) whether I group or solo. 
    lotrlore