Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Discussion: What’s The Best Necro Class In Any MMO?

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Definitely the forum thread bumper.
  • carthaccarthac Member UncommonPosts: 16
    DAoC midgard bonedancer

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    EQ1 has a lot of really special feeling classes and Necro is one of them. I remember being in groups back in the day that were about to wipe, then the Necro stood up and started doing stuff I didn't even know they could do (like spot heals, Mez, and refill healer Mana). One of the ultimate utility classes.

I wish EQ2 had kept a lot of the uniqueness as opposed to making them just the evil counterpart to conjurer's.

Outside norrath I liked the GW1 Necro, especially paired with ranger for mega pet swarms :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SanisterSanister Member UncommonPosts: 17
    EQ1 hands down, also the only necromancer (read: real necro) in any mmo. Remember that eq1 came about when the mmo was meant to be a table top experience in a virtual world. Nothing else is like that or comes close.
    [Deleted User]

Your remarks are ill advised Templar.

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Not a class I would even have an interest in playing, but I came close with a City of Villains Mastermind, a sea witch who summoned drowned sailors to do her bidding. Not much necromancy there -- zombies was an option that might be more like it, but still it's just a Mastermind with dead pets. As I indicated, I only mention it as being "good" in the sense of appealing to someone who otherwise wouldn't think of playing a Necromancer.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited October 2019

My god spam bot made himself right at home with sig and everything. Reported
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    As minimalist as it kinda was, I liked the Necromancy spell line in Ultima Online if you count that as a "class". 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    If you haven't tried the Age of Conan Necro, then you're missing out.

There's two ways to spec it and both are 100% viable.

You can spec it for a pure damage class, in which case there's no other class in the game that can out damage it.  There's one boss in the Tier 2 dungeons that's a pure 100% damage test for DPS'ers, and I've never had anything come even remotely close to my necros damage. 

The only time I get out-damaged is in AoE fights by correctly specced barbarians, and only in burst damage.  You let me get all of my DoT's running and I'll blow the doors off of a barbarian too.

Then you can also spec it for pets, in which case you get eight points to spend on undead pets that follow you and perform different roles.  Some suck mana from what you're fighting and feed it to you.  Some suck HP from what you're fighting and feed it to you.  Some are pure single target DPS, some are AoE, some of them snare your opponents.

Playing a Necro in AoC is like opening up a toolbox and having everything you'll ever need in it.  it's such a versatile class that most raids can't kick off without two of them.
    Po_gg
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Magic The Gathering Arena may not be your traditional MMO, but what the hell, this site reports on it so I'll include it.

Build yourself a Black deck with some optional white cards focused around Liliana Dreadhorde General, Open the Graves, and Teysa Karlov (if you add white) and you can build a zombie horde in no time. White has some good cards that make your deck run very fast, like inspiring commander that lets you draw a card every time a creature with power 2 or less enters the battlefield. You can easily summon a dozen 2/2 zombies in a turn and flood your hand; I've even lost games on accident when inspiring commander and Liliana went on a card drawing rampage and emptied my 33 card library instantly.

White isn't "good" mana BTW. It's more order, so if you're into thematic decks, don't worry about it ruining your evil necromancer vibes if you add White.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I think the right question should be What is your favorite Necro class in mmos?

Mine is Necro from GW1.

• Peco115Peco115 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Vanguard hand down
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    H0urg1ass said:
    Then you can also spec it for pets, in which case you get eight points to spend on undead pets that follow you and perform different roles.  Some suck mana from what you're fighting and feed it to you.  Some suck HP from what you're fighting and feed it to you.  Some are pure single target DPS, some are AoE, some of them snare your opponents.
    And you also have the flexibility to change the line-up any time, even during combat, to adapt any situations. It doesn't have the array of CoV's Mastermind, but still a very versatile system and one of the best pet classes out there.

Not to mention you can use minions even as a Nighfall (pet-less, dark mage kinda) necro, just to sacrifice them for more damage... :naughty:
    H0urg1ass
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    I've enjoyed them all, but the Dark Age of Camelot's Bonedancer was a lot of fun for me.