Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Discussion: Have You Ever Called In Sick For An MMO?

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    I haven't called in sick for the sake of playing an MMO, though I have stayed home when actually sick and played an MMO some that day.  I have taken vacation days and played an MMO, but that wasn't taking a day off because of something in the game that day so much as it was taking a day off when I wanted a day off and then playing an MMO on my day off.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited October 2019
    @FlyByKnight Thanks man.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I called in sick for WOW launch, started at midnight,

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Nope
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I did take a single sick day for Tiberium Sun release all those years ago.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I'd never do that, but when City of Heroes opened their Beta testing, I spent hours and hours downloading, checking, getting it to run, and finally playing, staying up way late and maybe not being so sharp at work the next day...
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Never called in sick but I did take a PTO (paid time off) to spend mostly playing a game. Like today. I had an appliance installed but spent the time after that online.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited October 2019
    Called in sick? No. I think money is more important so I can buy more games to play at leisure. Losing a job over mmo is just dumb in my opinion, because playing mmo doesn't pay for mortgage, food, and all the other stuff I need that includes condoms er I mean beer ;)
    Gorwe
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    yep numerous times in the early swg days, I had been a house fire a few month prior so it was incredibly easy to blag days off.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Any reasonably professional company here sends a medic to certify their employees's sickness anyway, it probably wouldn't be very smart.
    Wow, I want to know where you live? I've never heard of such a thing :o

On-topic: I can't imagine ever taking days off just to play games.  That just seems like a total waste to me.

staying up way late and maybe not being so sharp at work the next day...
    ^ I've definitely done this, however.
    Lokero said:

On-topic: I can't imagine ever taking days off just to play games.  That just seems like a total waste to me.

Imagine my surprise when I took off work for AO launch and we were all stuck in the backyards.

Then, for SWG, the login server wasn't working for many of us. I called in "extra sick" the next day. lol
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    DMKano said:
    Called in sick?

no - my personal time off days are mine to take as I wish - I haven't had to tell any company I've worked for in the last 20 years why I am taking time off - none of their business.

I just tell them I am out taking a PTO - that's all they need to know.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Arterius said:
    DMKano said:
    Called in sick?

no - my personal time off days are mine to take as I wish - I haven't had to tell any company I've worked for in the last 20 years why I am taking time off - none of their business.

I just tell them I am out taking a PTO - that's all they need to know.
    Dang I want to work where you do. I mean my job is very different but most people I know have to state a reason and sometimes even have to bring in a sick note. They can even be told no. 
    A lot depends on the nature of the job.  Some jobs naturally require someone to man a particular position for a particular time period to deal with customers who come.  Other jobs really only naturally require that something be done sometime this week or month or whatever, and don't really care what time of day.  The latter type of job tends to be far more flexible with hours than the former.