Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Former World of Warcraft Developer Drops WoW Sub Due To Blizzard's Ban - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageFormer World of Warcraft Developer Drops WoW Sub Due To Blizzard's Ban - MMORPG.com

A former World of Warcraft developer has joined in the sweeping movement in the games industry that is seeing players cancel their World of Warcraft subscriptions. This is in direct response to how Blizzard has handled the situation surrounding a professional Hearthstone player supporting the plight of Hong Kong and Blizzard's subsequent ban on the player.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ChristianaChristiana Member UncommonPosts: 28
    The NBA backlash is not about freedom of expression
    IselinalkarionlogFolmenXreeon
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Guys @ mmorpg.com, I just went to bat for you and you stoke the flames with another piece?  WTF
    Amathe[Deleted User]gastovski1RennisaKumapongrimalNorseGod
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    This doesn't matter at all. It won't have any impact at all either. It is unfortunate that it wont, but it won't.
    XingbairongRoingastovski1FolmenFacelessSavior
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I kind of think a lot of those people on Reddit are just blowing smoke about cancelling their accounts.
    Folmen[Deleted User]ManWithNoTan
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Hariken said:
    I kind of think a lot of those people on Reddit are just blowing smoke about cancelling their accounts.
    The account cancellation service was overloaded though, iirc.
    blamo2000Folmen
  • nixx1972nixx1972 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited October 2019
    I canceled mine and anyone who says this is either continuing the controversy or wont matter, is sitting comfortably in your chair in a country with free speech and the right to protest. We are lucky enough to live in a country were we are not only able to speak our minds but with our wallets. The people in Hong Kong don't. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Blizzard and the NBA and Apple have obviously shown which part they are. Just for context I'm ex military that put MY LIFE on the line for you to be able to continue to have your freedoms.
    blamo2000PhaserlightPanzerbeorne39cheebaBlacklabelcaliGamelorePurplePepeAalamrXreeonTacticalZombehand 7 others.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

#BoycottBlizzard I canceled my WoW classic sub in solidarity with Hong Kong protesters and to let Blizzard know censorship on Chinas behalf is unacceptable and will cost them money.

I bought a second one, I agree with speaking up for Hong Kong, I dont agree with doing it in the way he did, he did it while in a Blizzard sanctioned event that hes being paid for.
    alkarionlogScellowFolmen[Deleted User]KalafaxswagholeManWithNoTanFreelancerND
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

nixx1972 said:

I canceled mine and anyone who says this is either continuing the controversy or wont matter, is sitting comfortably in your chair in a country with free speech and the right to protest. We are lucky enough to live in a country were we are not only able to speak our minds but with our wallets. The people in Hong Kong don't. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Blizzard and the NBA and Apple have obviously shown which part they are. Just for context I'm ex military that put MY LIFE on the line for you to be able to continue to have your freedoms.

Before I respond to this comment and have everyone start flaming me because it doesn't suit their flowery view of the situation I want to say that I'm neither supporting nor against the Hong Kong protests.
    That said I want to point out that a lot of people seem to not realize(or know) that the protests started when a Hong Kong citizen killed his pregnant girlfriend in Taiwan and when the authorities asked for his extradition, Hong Kong agreed. So the protests started over people trying to defend someone who went with the plan on killing his pregnant girlfriend in another country knowing that there won't be any consequences. He isn't the first to do that. A lot of Hong Kong citizen's have done that before.
    After that the protest might've escalated and evolved into something with more meaning, but let's not ignore what's part of the reason for the protests. People asking not to be extradited when they commit crimes(often times murder).
    So support it if you want, but don't try to guilt people into doing the same.
    nixx1972Panzerbeorne39alkarionlogRoinmmolou[Deleted User]AalamrManWithNoTanFreelancerND
  • fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    I canceled because I have to work in a game to unlock a race. Freedom of speech is a core value...but just don't force it on people. Watching a movie in the theater and then have an actor come up on the screen yelling at you to free what ever....yea not cool
    nixx1972XingbairongSabrac
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Myrdynn said:

#BoycottBlizzard I canceled my WoW classic sub in solidarity with Hong Kong protesters and to let Blizzard know censorship on Chinas behalf is unacceptable and will cost them money.

I bought a second one, I agree with speaking up for Hong Kong, I dont agree with doing it in the way he did, he did it while in a Blizzard sanctioned event that hes being paid for.

Great call. Its only specifically about that and nothing else. The NBA, South Park, freedom of speech, liberty, the Uyghar Muslims, censorship, companies putting a market ahead of simple, easy values, et al, is just lies - this is only specifically about one person breaking one rule and that is the total sum of the argument.

I hope spending your money on a company that is doing its best to prop up a totalitarian commie regime correctly reflects your morals and foresight on this issue.
    mmolouManWithNoTananothername
  • nixx1972nixx1972 Member UncommonPosts: 21

fuzzi1983 said:

I canceled because I have to work in a game to unlock a race. Freedom of speech is a core value...but just don't force it on people. Watching a movie in the theater and then have an actor come up on the screen yelling at you to free what ever....yea not cool

I completely agree freedom of speech works both ways. No one has a right to hide behind the constitution to force their values on someone else. I agree he should have been extradited. It has changed from the original issue. But hong kong went from a British territory to a communist country overnight.
    Gamelore
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

The NBA backlash is not about freedom of expression

Amazing piece of propaganda and slight of hand demonstrating how terrible lies can be made to sound reasonable.

Also Donald sterling should not have been fined or banned because we now live in a world where anything can be made out to be racist and is and even then it’s should be his right in a truly free society to have whatever opinion of people he wants that is freedom.
    vandal5627nixx1972
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Saving the world one unsub at a time.... this week.

Lets see what new battlefield spawns tomorrow for the keyboard warriors to take on.
    Xingbairongvandal5627alkarionloggastovski1swagholeFreelancerND
This discussion has been closed.