Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Discussion: Have You Ever Called In Sick For An MMO?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageForum Discussion: Have You Ever Called In Sick For An MMO?

Here's an interesting question for you: have you ever called in sick to play an MMO?

Read the full story here

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Never called in sick to play, but I have used a lot of vacation to do so. I took launch week off to play STO.
    Of course, nowadays I'm self-employed, so I play whenever I feel like it.
    mcrippins

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    When WoW first launched in 2004 I did.....Took a efw days off but the server issues made it hard to play for any length of time.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Not sick. I took my two week vacation to play early access for SWTOR.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    edited October 2019
    Yea, not sick, but definitely vacation days.

Why not make it a poll?
  • VathikVathik Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Ok which time ? lol
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited October 2019
    I've taken vacation for video games. Used to do so for Guild Wars 2 expacs. Now I pretty much only do so for Fire Emblem and high profile singleplayer RPGs. 

Never called in sick for one. Likely never will.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Aeander said:
    I've taken vacation for video games. Used to do so for Guild Wars 2 expacs. Now I pretty much only do so for Fire Emblem and high profile singleplayer RPGs. 

I question your commitment to the cause.
    moshra said:
    Aeander said:

I question your commitment to the cause.
    I question what the cause is.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited October 2019
    A few days after SWTOR launched, I had my wisdom teeth removed and was told to stay home for a few days. I was looped up on pain pills to the point of where everything amused and entertained me.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    No, and if you do that you have a problem. I knew a guy back in 2001 one that was a real Anarchy online fan and he was in his mid 20's and still lived at home with his parents. He would stay in the basement for days and his father had his own PC shop so he had all kinds of gear and 2 pc's setup. I don't know what happened to that guy.
    DavodtheTutt
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Nope, never.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Gorwe said:
    Take sickdays and a paycut for a game? Lol?

Now, if we were talking about vacation days or other forms of paid leave, yeah sure, why not? I'd ideally keep those for "exhaustion periods"(makes much more sense), but I've nothing against taking vacation for games.
    For me, those tend to line up, because the hot time for games tends to be the spring and the fall/winter - a rather large gap. So that gives me a good way to spread my vacation far apart when I will likely need it most.
    Gorwe
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Gorwe said:

Now, if we were talking about vacation days or other forms of paid leave, yeah sure, why not? I'd ideally keep those for "exhaustion periods"(makes much more sense), but I've nothing against taking vacation for games.
    Haven’t you ever taken a mental health day? 

If someone consistently takes sick time to play a game then that’s a problem. But waking up one morning and not wanting to work and just relax and play a game can be a nice way to reset.
    Gorwe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited October 2019
    "Injured and drugged is a kind of sick."

Penny, The Big Bang Theory

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    I haven't done this for an MMO, but I did do this for Oblivion when it launched. Funnily enough that was the same day my mom slipped, fell and broke her leg so it was good fortune I was home from work that day. 
    Amathe
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I have used alot of PTO days for launches and expansions of mmos over the years.

Never called in sick though.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I've been sick because of MMORPGs, and lately because of the state of MMORPG development, but never called in sick to play an MMORPG.  But I'm definitely in the vacation camp.

AmatheDavodtheTutt

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2019
    Never! I just made ...err let my children stay home from school to make sure my character names were reserved on the correct servers.

They squeezed it in between cleaning out the cat boxes (we have 5....boxes as well as cats) and mopping up after the stupid Yorkie who never could hold it all day.

B) 

AmatheDavodtheTutt

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

If someone consistently takes sick time to play a game then that’s a problem. But waking up one morning and not wanting to work and just relax and play a game can be a nice way to reset.
    Once upon a time, I got up to get ready for work and discovered it was going to be one of "those days," where every little thing goes wrong. Dropped toothbrush on the floor. Car is low on gas and has a service light. Nothing in fridge for breakfast. Lots of that kind of stuff. So I says, F this. I'm staying home. My day is trying to suck and I won't allow it. Back to bed I go.

That changed nothing, except the venue for my crappy day. The whole day still sucked. You can't do anything about it. I fought [universal karmic] law, and the law won.
    Gorwe

• UntamedgunnerUntamedgunner Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I smell a bunch of ??. I definitely have been “sick” but I never get sick on launch day. I never take vacation days on launch day. That’s just a waste, every real mmorpg veteran knows that’s the worst time to play. I usually get sick around the third day after release. Like an other person said, I to own a business so I scheduled accordingly now a days lol.
    DavodtheTuttGorwe
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

I honestly cannot recall ever taking a sick day off of work in my adult life if I at least didn't have a Drs appt or was actually ill. (Gone into work sick plenty of times) 

Even when I had a major anxiety breakdown I still dragged myself into the office....

Call me "Ironman" ......or an idiot I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Seems the question should have been about vacation days, or PTO, or the more generic "time off from work." It's easy enough to schedule time off in advance of a major release, so there's not much need to call in unexpectedly for a video game.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited October 2019
    Nah. its not like a new release ever caught me off guard. Think I took some paid time off for Burning Crusade the day of and to the end of the weekend. Maybe did something similar for SWTORs release.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I will say I have used paid time for more than one head start =)
    CatibrieNorseGod
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2019
    I don't know what's going on with MMORPG.com with all these weird coincidences but shout out to @NorseGod for the original post:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/484400/filthy-dirty-rotten-scumbag-malingerers#ABKuUzCTfqd67jAr.99
    NorseGod
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯