Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2: Shadowkeep Review - MMORPG.com

In this latest major installment of the Destiny universe, Shadowkeep takes players back to the surface of the moon to revisit old haunts. But is looking back the way forward for Destiny? We’ll find out with our scored review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's alright.. but it's bite size with mental grind added on the end.

It's overpriced for what you get. I think every reviewer out there is completely ignoring how much this 4 hours of content costs.
    armageddonx911Maddog666[Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I think it will drop in price to 19.99 soon enough. And they xcan do a 29.99 for two xpacs and get mor cash faster. 4 hours of content ? You do realize it is all top shelf production ? Not some blizerk cash grab ? Shoot, I been playing the Red War Campaign over and over for days now :D , love the dialogue and voice acting.

BungiE is AAA , Halo was such an amazing experience, and Destiny 2 rings true in the same fashion. Don't even get me started on the graphics :D

I'm talking about Shadowkeep, not anything added before it. I already paid for the other expansions. You've just started the game so you're seeing loads of content for free.

If someone has already played the game up until this point, what you get for the price of a full game is pretty crap tbh. Destiny has been like this with every expansion though, I don't know why I expected it to be better this time around.
    [Deleted User]cheebaJeroKaneinfomatzOctagon7711
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'll buy Destiny expansions after a price drop. At the rate I'm playing, it'll probably take me a long while to get there.

Also, my favorite content is the open world zones. So.... yeah.
    PalebaneOctagon7711
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I think it will drop in price to 19.99 soon enough. And they xcan do a 29.99 for two xpacs and get mor cash faster. 4 hours of content ? You do realize it is all top shelf production ? Not some blizerk cash grab ? Shoot, I been playing the Red War Campaign over and over for days now :D , love the dialogue and voice acting.

BungiE is AAA , Halo was such an amazing experience, and Destiny 2 rings true in the same fashion. Don't even get me started on the graphics :D

I'm talking about Shadowkeep, not anything added before it. I already paid for the other expansions. You've just started the game so you're seeing loads of content for free.

If someone has already played the game up until this point, what you get for the price of a full game is pretty crap tbh. Destiny has been like this with every expansion though, I don't know why I expected it to be better this time around.
    I can agree, but you still have to put into perspective the long list of voice actors, it is a deep professional cast.
    Sorry but he is right! All resources and effort clearly went into the cross-play and F2P conversion, with little left for the actual expansion "Shadowkeep" !

It's a complete farce of an expansion! 4 hours of content for a full blown expansion?! That is the same amount of content they released in each of the two large DLC in year 1 of Destiny 2!

Then last year's Forsaken expansion was huge! Shadowkeep is a farcry from that. I am glad I finally got off the Destiny addiction bandwagon and didn't let me get scammed into buying Shadowkeep.

Not to mention the whole farce around nullifying all the old content by making all characters, including new ones instant light level 750, just to compel players to buy the Shadowkeep expansion as quickly as possible and play that instead to have any form of progression.

Since all old content has been changed to flat light level 750 difficulty! /facepalm
    Maddog666[Deleted User]
    JeroKane said:

I can agree, but you still have to put into perspective the long list of voice actors, it is a deep professional cast.
    Sorry but he is right! All resources and effort clearly went into the cross-play and F2P conversion, with little left for the actual expansion "Shadowkeep" !

It's a complete farce of an expansion! 4 hours of content for a full blown expansion?! That is the same amount of content they released in each of the two large DLC in year 1 of Destiny 2!

Then last year's Forsaken expansion was huge! Shadowkeep is a farcry from that. I am glad I finally got off the Destiny addiction bandwagon and didn't let me get scammed into buying Shadowkeep.

Not to mention the whole farce around nullifying all the old content by making all characters, including new ones instant light level 750, just to compel players to buy the Shadowkeep expansion as quickly as possible and play that instead to have any form of progression.

Since all old content has been changed to flat light level 750 difficulty! /facepalm
    That is one complaint I've had about Destiny from the start. It's disproportionately expensive compared to the amount of content it offers. Expansions release too frequently and typically offer too little.

(Reminds me of ESO).
    Palebane[Deleted User]
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    JeroKane said:

I've gotten 28 hours of gameplay out of the expansion content alone so far and I'm not even close to being done with what it has to offer, not really sure where these numbers are coming from. Sure you end the story after 4 hours, but there is plenty to do otherwise. The raid alone takes longer than a couple hours. 
    Maddog666k61977BadSpock
  • oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65

razor247 said:

These reviews had to be paid for. They basically beg you to come back and buy expansions and season passes to do the exact same thing you were doing but they want you to think its suddenly completely different. Wow. Guess what its just like you left it, point shoot RNG repeat.....

You know, if it was paid for they'd need to have a disclaimer. That is the law.
    But yeah, let's take a conspiracy over the fact that the expansion's actually good for its target audience.

Your gripe with the game simply means the game is just not for you. Which is fine.
    It's a looter-shooter with massive repetition and grinding in mind.
    People who buy these expansions know what they're getting into. They want the grind. They want to "point shoot RNG repeat" as you put it. This game is meant for those people.
    infomatzTacticalZombeh
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    It's sad that people are trying to say there are only 4 hours of content. No that is 4 hours of story line. So far got 38 hours or so in shadowkeep an still have plenty to do. Hell the vex incursion was locked until a group beat the raid that launched with it. Granted a lot of the stuff to do is grinding out stuff, but to be honest that is what the entire game has been from day one, so nothing changed there.

About the only thing I can see that is worth griping about may be the season pass because you do get some really nice things a lot faster than those without it. It does feel like it gives a person a leg up on those without it. Only about level 30 or so in the season pass right now out of the 100 levels myself. In reality it is more of a what is more important to you, your time or money kind of thing.

They made the game free to play, so they do have to still have day one income though. To many gamers these days think making games doesn't cost anything it seems. Overall I would say this xpac has been decent and fun, forsaken was a better, don't think anyone would argue that, but for the companies first foray back into publishing their own game I think it is a step in the right direction.
    PsYcHoGBRPanther2103LighttipThane
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161

I did motion capture for Destiny 2 and got paid preeeeetty decently, so I can second this as far as the cast/production goes lol.
  • AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    So I've spent 24 hours in the game this past week and so far it's been a blast. Only been doing Strikes, Crucibles and Gambits. I'll probably spend 100+ hours on this title, and that's easily worth the money it costs imho.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The story should have been longer, so will wait for a sale. Now I just reinstalled and I'm replaying content which works for me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited October 2019
    "Narrative felt short for an expansion, leaves previous content unresolved"

yea, that is what people don't seem to understand:
    this content drop did NOT end, it actually just started, there are several seasons, and each one will (or at least should) advance that story.

this is why it feels alot shorter than for example forsaken

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

I don't see myself playing Destiny 2 for a long time. It's not that it's a bad game or anything, but rather that its emphasis on daily bounties is going to quickly wear me down.

Dailies rapidly start to feel like a job, and I'm already starting to feel like I'm playing out of obligation mere days in. And it's not like there is sufficient enough variety in the activities to make it feel good. 
    rojoArcueid
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Aeander said:
    I don't see myself playing Destiny 2 for a long time. It's not that it's a bad game or anything, but rather that its emphasis on daily bounties is going to quickly wear me down.

Dailies rapidly start to feel like a job, and I'm already starting to feel like I'm playing out of obligation mere days in. And it's not like there is sufficient enough variety in the activities to make it feel good. 
    i'm playing shadowkeep with some friends and this is exactly my problem with Destiny 2. This was the same reason i got burned out ad nauseam with Destiny 1 in a 2 week period and never touched it again.

Now with the battlepass the grind becomes even crazier if you want your moneys worth and get all rewards.

I'm trying to play casually to see how long i can play without feeling like a second job. Not pursuing bounties like crazy or grinding quests asking for 1500+ kills for no reason.

I did notice they at least increased drop rate. i got like 8 exotic pieces (armor and weapons) in a period of 3-4 days of casual play, just killing stuff in public events.

Aeander said:

i'm playing shadowkeep with some friends and this is exactly my problem with Destiny 2. This was the same reason i got burned out ad nauseam with Destiny 1 in a 2 week period and never touched it again.

Now with the battlepass the grind becomes even crazier if you want your moneys worth and get all rewards.

I'm trying to play casually to see how long i can play without feeling like a second job. Not pursuing bounties like crazy or grinding quests asking for 1500+ kills for no reason.

I did notice they at least increased drop rate. i got like 8 exotic pieces (armor and weapons) in a period of 3-4 days of casual play, just killing stuff in public events.
    I haven't even gotten that much. I've gotten exactly one exotic (The Lord of Wolves) from a Spider bounty.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2019
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:

I haven't even gotten that much. I've gotten exactly one exotic (The Lord of Wolves) from a Spider bounty.
    I was using a ghost with the Public Defender perk which increases loot from public events. It doesn't say how much it helps but maybe it did help. Not entirely sure because last night i got Queenbreaker sniper and Wavesplitter trace rifle from public events without that ghost.

edited October 2019
    Aeander said:

I'm the same way with the game. I love the gameplay but the endgame is an over-structured mess. It makes you feel like you HAVE to play every day because if you just wanted to play a couple days a week you'd hardly get any power upgrades after you've hit the soft cap. 

I prefer Division 2's endgame and I wish they'd do something similar with Destiny. It doesn't hold you back. If you want to play for 10 hours one day, you can make constant progress for the whole 10 hours.
    AeanderrojoArcueid
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    The story should have been longer, so will wait for a sale. Now I just reinstalled and I'm replaying content which works for me.
    How fast does one play through content?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Problem with Destiny is their expansions are nothing but Light level resets. All your gear from previous expansions becomes obsolete and Light level is raised and they call it an expansion.