Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filthy, Dirty, Rotten, Scumbag Malingerers

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
Who here has called in "sick" to play a MMORPG on release day?

When was the last game you've done that?

If it's been a long time, does that say anything about the state of genre?

Mine was SWG. Yes, I think that says something about the state of the genre.
To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
[Deleted User]moshraAlBQuirky

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    While it isn't necessarily an MMO, I made the mistake of calling in for two days straight during the Diablo 3 launch thinking they would fix that error. But I ended up getting to play it a total of like an hour in that two day period. 
    [Deleted User]
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    While it isn't necessarily an MMO, I made the mistake of calling in for two days straight during the Diablo 3 launch thinking they would fix that error. But I ended up getting to play it a total of like an hour in that two day period. 
    Same happened to me with SWG and AO when they launched.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I got all you guys beat. I brought my gaming laptop to my office and "worked" around (well tried to at least) launch day of Archeage.

My name is FlyByKnight and I am a scumbag malingerer. :D
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]NorseGodmmolouPanther2103
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I do not call in sick, I have a gaming PC in the office
    NorseGod[Deleted User]
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
    edited October 2019
    mmolou said:
    Same. :smiley:
    (wasn't always the case)
    mmolou
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    SWTOR (early access).

Mad props for a clever post heading.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    mmolou said:
    NorseGod said:
    mmolou said:
    Same. :smiley:
    (wasn't always the case)

mmolouNorseGod
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:
    SWTOR (early access). Took my two week vacation lol.

Mad props for a clever post heading.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    you guys know that don't work if your boss also follow such things right?

and yes i'm that boss, I don't even call sick when i'm, why I will not go to work just to play a game who will wait for me anyway?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Not for sick tbh, but took days of vacation for it. And it is that loooong ago, that i can't recall what it was. I think it was DaoC.....but i'm not sure anymore. F*** im to old :blush: :smiley:
  • noxaeternusnoxaeternus Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Called in sick a long time ago for Everquest (pre Kunark). Have taken vacation for certain launches since.

E: 86% S: 53% A: 40% K: 20%

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Interesting question! For many MMO launches I was still in School, and they launched during summer. SWG, Shadowbane, EQ2. 

I DO rememeber missing work for SWTOR and Darkfall. Darkfall being the last time I have done it.

As far as the state of the genre, I think its partly the games and partly us. For instance I just cant see myself dedicating that much time to SWG or Darkfall anymore like I used to. I do crave that feeling again though and I hope one day a game comes to light that brings me back.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Never.  I've played before work on occasion, but have never stayed home just to play a game.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• donzin08donzin08 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    you guys know that don't work if your boss also follow such things right?

and yes i'm that boss, I don't even call sick when i'm, why I will not go to work just to play a game who will wait for me anyway?
    What does this even say?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    EverQuest. Not on release day, but once I found the game.

I called in "sick" on September 11, 2001 (9-11 as it is also known as). My boss called me at home and asked if I had my TV on. I said yes and we just sat on each end of the phone, stunned at what was happening on our TVs.
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I've changed region / city because electricity supply was unstable and didn't let me play Dark Age of Camelot for two weeks back in 2001. Does that count?

Thank you for your time!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I can neither confirm nor deny that I have done or not done that due to games and/or hangovers.
    NorseGodAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SheldonTreverSheldonTrever Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2019
    Well how does that really work with that?
    dkt nsw
    Post edited by SheldonTrever on
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Iselin said:
    I can neither confirm nor deny that I have done or not done that due to games and/or hangovers.
    Are you a Government worker? LOL

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

3dom said:
    I've changed region / city because electricity supply was unstable and didn't let me play Dark Age of Camelot for two weeks back in 2001. Does that count?
    >power outages
    >DARK AGE of Camelot

Taking immersion to a whole new level.
    AlBQuirky