Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon confirmed to have PVP at launch

2»

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Actually to tell you the truth I didn't read the links I read the comment that followed and then after even when I read the links my brain had already decided it was going to be only PvP servers and I could not divorce that thought from what I was reading. Nasty thing jumping to conclusions.
    ScotSovrath

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited October 2019
    kitarad said:
    Actually to tell you the truth I didn't read the links I read the comment that followed and then after even when I read the links my brain had already decided it was going to be only PvP servers and I could not divorce that thought from what I was reading. Nasty thing jumping to conclusions.
    A lot of players do have deal breakers though, if there is something in a game they will not have it, I tend to wait until launch before making any firm decision. It really does not matter what they say as the game is developing, lets see how it pans out at launch. Personally I hope the PvP servers are put on hold, get the PvE servers under their belt over the first few months then launch PvP.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:
    A lot of players do have deal breakers though, if there is something in a game they will not have it, I tend to wait until launch before making any firm decision. It really does not matter what they say as the game is developing, lets see how it pans out at launch. Personally I hope the PvP servers are put on hold, get the PvE servers under their belt over the first few months then launch PvP.
    I dont believe PVP mechanics can be easily bolted on even as they've described without delaying the release vs just delivering only the PVE experience 

They should get the core game fully out the door before spending a minute on PVP work.

Unless of course they have dev resources just sitting around with nothing to do atm because everything is almost ready to go.

;)
    Scot[Deleted User]acidbloodcraftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Wizardry said:
    Hawkster said:
    Well, there goes my interest.  "Perhaps alternate rule sets..." translates to, no it would cost too much to develop another rule set so we will just make "balance changes" as the game goes along.  That worked so well for the PvE in WoW.  Shrug.  Oh well,  
    Yep it really baffles me that the obvious ,that is ruining PVe to balance pvp is not understood by so many devs.
    Sure if they completely separate the two and have totally different stats and systems,then whatever go nuts,idc about pvp anyhow.
    I said it already,the past has told me Brad has NOT learned from mistakes and bad game design,he will do the same mistakes....again.

There is the flip side,maybe he and his team do GET IT,maybe this is simply about $$$$,if we try and PRETEND to cater to a larger audience,we make more money.Problem is I KNOW this does not work within the same game/setup for both PVE and pvp.

I can explain the whole design idea in very simple terms.For myself i want the combat to be EXTREME,this means you MUST have a Tank,dps,healer,this means a mistake and the paper weights are dead.Having special attacks that are extreme dmg can also garner aggro away from the tank,so the entire TEAM concept has to be on the same page,spik damage and hate tools are used at the same time.

What pvp does is basically make everyone the same,nothing is extreme because a DPS would kill a paper weight in seconds and pvp can't have that.

Guess you must not have played EQ?  I never saw any change to PVE due to PvP issues.
    This issue you seem to be worried about occurs in games which have PVP and PVE on the same servers. 
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    No one is going to play Pantheon with the primary focus on pvp, so any pvp server will still have players wanting to pve. PvP in VG was pretty dumb because some classes just murdered the rest to death. I dont remember any nerfing to balance it, PvP was just something that kept you on your toes.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I don't mind pvp servers, I just hope they focus and complete pve first and don't rush crap and mess the original goal up.
    Kyleran
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    kitarad said:
    No separate PvE server then ? Well no thanks then.
    Wtf this is a PvE MMO.

How the frak did you get from "there will be a separate PvP server" to "there wont be PvE servers" ?!?

Most servers will be PvE, just like in Vanguard.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Mylan12 said:

Guess you must not have played EQ?  I never saw any change to PVE due to PvP issues.
    This issue you seem to be worried about occurs in games which have PVP and PVE on the same servers. 
    Wait, so… PvP servers won't have any PvE content?

While I would like to believe that PvP won't detract from PvE, history has taught me differently: whether it be direct nerfs to PvE for the sake of PvP or PvE being neglected because the devs are too busy wasting time trying to balance PvP, there is always some cost.
    KyleransvannMylan12
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Still waiting for alpha
    Amathe
    edited October 2019
    Utinni said:
    Still waiting for alpha
    As I often told my children whenever they complained about circumstances not likely to change anytime soon

Get used to it.....

Perfect time to play "The Innocent" by Drivin and Cryin....

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Everyone here will eventually try the game anyway.  Probably on launch day as we're all frothing MMO addicts.  So I don't know what all the "Ehh No"  "OMG Yes" banter is all about.
    edited October 2019
    Geeky said:
    Everyone here will eventually try the game anyway.  Probably on launch day as we're all frothing MMO addicts.  So I don't know what all the "Ehh No"  "OMG Yes" banter is all about.
    Good heavens no. I've well learned my lesson, I eschew even trying most MMOs these days and never again will I join one at launch.

The rest of you should know better by now.

;)
    NorseGod

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Geeky said:
    I'm more about Launch + 6 months than Launch day, but I will probably give this a try, depending on my financial status at that time.  That puts me firmly in the "eventually" category.

NorseGod

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• goldwheatgoldwheat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Utinni said:
    Still waiting for alpha
    Won't be this year, keep waiting.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Kyleran said:
    Geeky said:
    Good heavens no. I've well learned my lesson, I eschew even trying most MMOs these days and never again will I join one at launch.

;)
    Never had a problem on launch day that would cause me to say I regretted it.  I dont know what you think I should know, but its clearly untruth.
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    svann said:
    Kyleran said:
    Geeky said:

;)
    Never had a problem on launch day that would cause me to say I regretted it.  I dont know what you think I should know, but its clearly untruth.
    I have never had a problem. But it is kind of funny watching 50 people descend on one kobold, all trying to get the shot.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited October 2019
    I guess some folks are just more tolerant of long log in queues, unstable servers, missing functionality, bugs, and exploits than me.

Are you sure you folks really play games?

Weird.

:D 
    Amathe

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Oh Joy! Not. Prefer PvE only.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• WenchesnmeadWenchesnmead Member UncommonPosts: 35
    People worried about PVP in the game.

Needs to stop being vaporware for it matter  :D 
    Tokken said:
    Oh Joy! Not. Prefer PvE only.

I sort of assumed everyone knew that it be like EQ was at release a PvE game with probably one or two  FFA PvP server.
    Tokkensvann
    Kyleran said:
    I guess some folks are just more tolerant of long log in queues, unstable servers, missing functionality, bugs, and exploits than me.

Are you sure you folks really play games?

Weird.

:D 

What MMORPG game have you played that was not that way 6 months or even a year after release? :D

Kyleran
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited October 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Geeky said:

;)
    "Nobody logs in on opening day anymore.  Its too dang crowded"
    paraphrasing Yogi Berra
    AmatheMendelKyleran
    svann said:
    Kyleran said:
    Geeky said:

;)
    "Nobody logs in on opening day anymore.  Its too dang crowded"
    paraphrasing Yogi Berra
    Yep, they clearly do despite knowing better. 

;)