Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Discussion: What’s The Best Necro Class In Any MMO?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageForum Discussion: What’s The Best Necro Class In Any MMO?

What is the best necromancer class in any MMO? This is the discussion going on in our forums right now, so be sure to throw your hat into the ring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

g0dl355 said:

Diablo 2 necro by far, it's the standard IMO.

Cool, but not an MMO.
    mcd6993
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Everquest the orginal Necro
    mcd6993itchmon
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    EQ1 and 2 both did a great job. DoT/Drain based tanky caster with lots of utility, sustain, and a pet. Charm undead helps too :)
    mcd6993
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    While technically not an actual Necro class in the sense of summoning undead, The Bureaucrat in Anarchy Online has the same play style, only re themed it around sci fi. Instead of rasing Temp mobs from the dead, you "charmed" them. Instead of summoning a permanent undead pet, you summoned a permanent body guard as well as other permanent and temp minions.
    DilandauBorlucHalibrand
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Love gw2 necro, theme, color, gameplay!
    BeezerbeezUnbino
  • OGJacksonOGJackson Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I thought the Necro in EQ2 was awesome when the game first released.
    The Master to summon the Spider was so cool.
    Took awhile to get the resources and recipe to craft but was so worth it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Guild Wars 1 Necro was a blast. Tons of annoying hexes. Could raise armies of minions and would have to sacrifice their own hp to maintain them. Lifesteal spells. 
    DaemonweaverWarlyx
  • DilandauDilandau Member UncommonPosts: 24

While technically not an actual Necro class in the sense of summoning undead, The Bureaucrat in Anarchy Online has the same play style, only re themed it around sci fi. Instead of rasing Temp mobs from the dead, you "charmed" them. Instead of summoning a permanent undead pet, you summoned a permanent body guard as well as other permanent and temp minions.

I loved the crat although I mained a MA ;) so torn between this and the necro in EQ1. The AoC necro had some fun parts and really nailed down the whole minion party theme.

"Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of its trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse for impossibility, for it thinks all things are lawful for itself and all things are possible."

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The Necromancer from Vanguard: Saga of Heroes was by far the most interesting and intricate implementation of the class.
    SovrathblackthornnSavageHorizon

• eolseeolse Member UncommonPosts: 80
    EQ1 necro for sure.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Pale Master in DDO.
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Imo all those answers show a part of whats wrong nowadays.

Classes in modern games lack the complexity and variety of skills we had back then. (thinking of Meridians Qor skill line or Vanguards Necro).
    Creating underworld portals, setting darkness over an area, turning others into undead, gathering parts of enemies to use them.
    Those are the small things making me feel like playing a RPG.

New games mostly concentrate on pure fighting skills making me feel I'm playing a fantasy adventure but not a RPG.
    Valdheim[Deleted User]LighttipDavodtheTutt

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• MoariNKMoariNK Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Age of Conan necro was great especially when doing spellweaving to make greater level spells -- love that sacrificial altar type thing you can do as a necro, and the pets were great.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512

g0dl355 said:

Diablo 2 necro by far, it's the standard IMO.

Stay on topic please
    mcd6993

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Guild Wars 1 Necro by far the best and most versatile. I spent many great hours duo farming the underworld with SS necro and 55 monk.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited October 2019
    The Everquest Necromancer was reviled almost everywhere. This class in Everquest meant your choice of diety and race were limited and the whole social structure in Everquest supported the idea that you were a loathsome thing that did not deserve anything less than death. You were killed on sight making selling to any vendor out in the world a real difficulty.

You could spend ages trying to get the people to like you and creep into towns via the tunnels or sewers or other hidden places and still be unfortunate enough to run into some denizen that will slaughter you immediately. Life for a necromancer in Everquest supported the overall disgust the people felt for you. Even among the evil races your own guild was often hidden away from the main paths and you had to travel far to get your new spells and abilities. Even in your own little sphere of evil there were residents that shunned you. It really makes you feel all alone  on the path you have chosen.

This in turn gave you very cool spells and a pet that you raised after collecting bones and summoning them forth. You could of course get some hapless new player in exchange for gold to collect them for you and even persuade them to sell things for you for a cut of the profits.

The spells you got were not only for fighting, the great thing about Everquest is that they had spells for some classes that were pure fun like speaking through your skeleton and scaring the aforementioned newbie into farming your bones for you. They can heal, give mana to group members and had various forms of crowd control that literally turned them into dungeon masters.

No other game gives you the complete Necromancer experience that Everquest did which also included the way the world treated and interacted with you. Most other games allowed Necromancers to go anywhere and behave like any other respectable class.
    BizkitNLPingu2012[Deleted User]perrin82jimmywolfHalibrandmcd6993[Deleted User]DavodtheTuttrkipand 1 other.
    Chamber of Chains
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

cheyane said:

The Everquest Necromancer was reviled almost everywhere. This class in Everquest meant your choice of diety and race were limited and the whole social structure in Everquest supported the idea that you were a loathsome thing that did not deserve anything less than death. You were killed on sight making selling to any vendor out in the world a real difficulty.

You could spend ages trying to get the people to like you and creep into towns via the tunnels or sewers or other hidden places and still be unfortunate enough to run into some denizen that will slaughter you immediately. Life for a necromancer in Everquest supported the overall disgust the people felt for you. Even among the evil races your own guild was often hidden away from the main paths and you had to travel far to get your new spells and abilities. Even in your own little sphere of evil there were residents that shunned you. It really makes you feel all alone  on the path you have chosen.

This in turn gave you very cool spells and a pet that you raised after collecting bones and summoning them forth. You could of course get some hapless new player in exchange for gold to collect them for you and even persuade them to sell things for you for a cut of the profits.

The spells you got were not only for fighting, the great thing about Everquest is that they had spells for some classes that were pure fun like speaking through your skeleton and scaring the aforementioned newbie into farming your bones for you. They can heal, give mana to group members and had various forms of crowd control that literally turned them into dungeon masters.

No other game gives you the complete Necromancer experience that Everquest did which also included the way the world treated and interacted with you. Most other games allowed Necromancers to go anywhere and behave like any other respectable class.

Man, I wish I had played that back then. Sounds really fun and incredibly immersive.
  • JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I really loved my GW1 necro. Still have it downloaded and go back every once in a while.
    Daemonweaver
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    not mmo but Diablo 2 necromancer.
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited October 2019
    you also have to remember that eq1 was made in a time where a class ( well magic classes) could do more because real crowd control was a thing, but isnt so much of a thing anymore. Roots, snares, stuns and messes were required to play the game. That has alot to do with why the necromancer was a great class. It just had more tools than classes you see nowadays. 
    rkip
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    my vote to Daoc Necro :D
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    I really liked the Pale Master in DDO because it was not all about undead Pets like almost all other necro's in other games.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MagnasMagnas Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I agree with EQ1 but want to give a shout out to the Bonedancer in DAOC. Running with your own skelly army which you could pick between casters, archers, healers etc. and dots and drains was a new spin on the class.

John P Cooper

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    It's not a class technically but the necromancy skill from UO was very well done. Also gave life to a useless skill (spirit speak) letting you hear the dead, control the dead, hex people, and chill and poison them. Just wish they would have expanded on it more than just 16 spells.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Everquest 1 and Vanguard - 2 best necros in mmo history.