Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Kickstarterversary is here!

124»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Cash Shop bonanza 
    AnOldFartNilden

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Kyleran said:
    So, week 4 started with 25% left on the final stretch goal which was smashed in less than 24 hours....

Five new items added included ballista, chariots, (no P2W here) and yet another Pay to Adventure option, a new Map (only available for $40 this week in the store) which will lead buyers (one per customer) on a unique adventure to seek a grand treasure.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/shop/merchandise
    Ballista mechanics legally will have to be added to the game now.

Chariot mechanics legally will have to be added to the game now.

A unique adventure to seek a grand treasure legally will have to be added to the game now.

This is what scope creep looks like.  Even if the money they made from the sale was enough to fund this all (doubtful), it doesn't just take money to make these things.  It takes TIME too.  Hence why this game will never be released and the funders themselves are a direct contributor to it (literally in this case, contributing money to make the game's development take longer)
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scope creep is something projects typically try to avoid, I did a search but couldn't come with many write ups on projects intentionally adding to scope unless it was absolutely necessary.

Regardless of why new scope is added, it builds up several forms of debt such as adding to the project complexity and extending release dates.

One could argue chariots or ballistas were likely planned to be in the game, maybe, but my guess is they were likely post release or nice to have content which now are required before full release.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BayerdBayerd Member CommonPosts: 1
    ^This^    Ballistas were already going to be implemented.  For the volcanic ecotype all they have to do is plug in the parameters in to their world generation tool which they already have built. That's how they built the maps. 
    Bayerd said:
    ^This^    Ballistas were already going to be implemented.  For the volcanic ecotype all they have to do is plug in the parameters in to their world generation tool which they already have built. That's how they built the maps. 
    Have they really created a world generation tool? Only thing shown to date are the results of a map generation tool.

If they have such a tool, why have they not shown any evidence to date of the existence of any world?

I demand a proof of life.  

;)

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums, keep coming back.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Bayerd said:
    Absolutely ludicrous, umm what? Whenever someone says "all they have to do" or like sniper says "that is easy to implement" i raise my eyebrow. They don't have any such tool.
    Kyleran
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Bayerd said:
    I'd sell you a bridge, but it seems like you're already buying one.
    Kyleran
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Bayerd said:
    Wouldn't that stuff with the maps? They spent months fooling around making the maps. It seems inputting something new, isn't going to be that easy. Or why didn't they just put it in, in the first place?

One could argue it was already in, just naturally no one knew about it. Like half these goals. Adventure islands? Yeah probably already planned to be in. Yet what a good way to milk people a bit more.
    AnOldFart
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    The fact is either these features were already planned for and this is in fact just milking the community or this was all post-release planned content that now needs to be worked on, which is feature-creep, a loss/loss either way, from a gaming studios under clueless management.
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    The fact is either these features were already planned for and this is in fact just milking the community or this was all post-release planned content that now needs to be worked on, which is feature-creep, a loss/loss either way, from a gaming studios under clueless management.
    From what I understand they hired yet another designer from the failed cash-grab Revival game that went under...

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

From what I understand they hired yet another designer from the failed cash-grab Revival game that went under...

I'm not convinced they actually all work together.

Last photographs I saw showed a facility but no actual staff at work.

My guess is some of their staff work remotely.

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30

Honestly i'm more concerned with the fact that he's a ex Trion employee.
    Kyleran
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Kyleran said:

I'm not convinced they actually all work together.

Last photographs I saw showed a facility but no actual staff at work.

My guess is some of their staff work remotely.

I know Serpentius is mostly remotely. That's why he is basically always online. Which honestly sucks for a job, unless he is getting paid per hour over a salary. 

As for others, wouldn't make much sense them getting a bigger office if heaps are all working remotely.