Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Crypto Zerg Day

YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
Today it just suddenly hit me like a lightning from a clear sky that one day MMO gamers could end up organizing a Global Crypto Zerg Day. At the very least it is MMO gamers who will probably truly understand how insanely genious the whole concept is. :o You just need to dig deeper into the different motivations, causes and consequences to understand why. All it take really is to incept this idea in people's minds and it could grow and become contagious.

The idea is that the MMO gamer communities of the whole world are technically apt and psychologically pre-inclined to initiate a global Crypto Zerg Day.  :#

How could it happen? Most likely a hype would build up and then everybody would start spreading the news that on Day X at an exact hour they should buy a certain type of cryptocurrency for whatever amount of money they feel comfortable enough to loose. Someone could use just $1 and someone could use $1000, whatever they can spare. The world has created circumstances, in which tens or even hundreds of millions of gamers and maybe also other online users across all the existing MMOs and also different Youtube channels and forums can rally to hit some cryptocurrency blockchain with an enormous amount of money, one billion US dollars or more, perhaps even on a precisely the same date of the year. I think the idea wouldn't be simply to hit a crypto network but to transfer a substantial portion of its volume into the hands of MMO gamers.

Consider the following points why a global Crypto Zerg Day could actually be pulled off and why people might go along.

1. In total, there are roughly 500 million MMO gamers in the whole world. In many MMO games there are in-game chat channels where news can be spread quickly to hundreds or thousands of people, who can spread it further into their clans, guilds and organisations. It is realistic to spread a message to a hundred million people within one or two months if everyone has something extraordinary to gain from the endeavour. So, the social tools to organise a Crypto Zerg Day have already been given to us in MMO games and other online channels of communication.

2. The Psychology - Part 1. MMO gamers are used to getting virtual assets for real money. It's one group of people in the world who can figure out easily how to buy some cryptocurrency and have the mindset and experience to actually do something like this.

3. The Psychology - Part 2. MMO gamers understand the concept of a planned and co-ordinated zerg rush. >:) But why did zergs emerge in the first place in MMO games? Is it because deep inside himself or herself an average MMO gamer wants to do something extraordinary and perhaps sensational, which breaks the boring routines of daily life? The idea of having a planned and co-ordinated Crypto Zerg Day is unusual and fresh enough to generate a critical amount of hype. :p Meanwhile, the means to perform a zerg raid and cause a global sensation in the real world are now finally provided with the existence of cryptocurrencies. The alluring part in the idea is that a single event like this would have an impact on the world. Not a virtual world, but the real one. Cryptocurrencies are nowadays familiar to a lot of people in the world. You also have to bear in mind that typical MMO gamers are fascinated by mathematical numbers and their changes (the way interactions in MMO games work), perhaps some inclination towards gambling (and Random Number Generation). This could be an alluring factor too.

4. There is nothing illegal or bad about the whole concept to deter the build up of the hype. In fact, MMO gamers might be doing the whole world a favor, which could boost the hype. The world is curious and wants see what happens both technically and economically when a crypto network is suddenly hit with a really enormous amount of money all at once. In that sense, maybe a lower volume network like Litecoin would be a better target than Bitcoin because hitting a network with $5 billion market cap would make a much more tremendous impact than hitting a network with $90 billion market cap. In a way, a Crypto Zerg Day would be a beta test.

6. With a Crypto Zerg Day, a considerable portion of some cryptocurrency in the world would fall into the hands of MMO gamers. B) This could offer MMO communities some interesting new opportunities. If all the MMO gaming communities in the whole world adopted a certain cryptocurrency, we could actually use it in games to help fellow players, guild mates, exchange in-game stuff between games with the help of the cryptocurrency and so on. In MMO games people can stay anonymous and a common cryptocurrency could help to share the hobby but also preserve anonimity. Maybe the impact would be so big that some game developers and publishers would also adopt that cryptocurrency to sell things to players. Maybe the whole gaming industry and hardware manufacturers might follow too. So, it's even possible that MMO gamers could eventually make that certain chosen cryptocurrency even more prominent than Bitcoin. To this point, everyone in the world has been complaining that there isn't enough meaningful use for cryptocurrency. Well, a cryptocurrency could prove useful for MMO gaming and with 500 million potential users it might become the most widely used cryptocurrency in the world, giving it the most solid value out of all existing cryptocurrencies.

All in all, it somehow feels natural that MMO gamers could be the first pioneers and major users of some cryptocurrency.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
* more info, screenshots and videos here

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    No thank you, I'll pass on your crypto anything. 
    TheocritusDibdabsanemo

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Yea no thnx.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    There are already trading groups that do just this. You are a few years too late.
    Gdemami
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    So basically, you bought a bunch of cryptocurrency and lost a bunch of money on it, and are now desperate for someone to pay you a lot more than it's worth?
    RexKushmanVrikaGdemami
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I'm going to pretend that the OP is actually serious...

There's no way in hell the OP has ever met anyone from the "MMO Community". People can't even be bothered with forming raid groups anymore without an auto group finder and he thinks 500 mil of us will all agree to be on at the same time... and with our wallets open.. No, just NO.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2019
    Fuck NO.

If it weren't for your join date in 2007 I would have thought you were that clueless Greed Monger dude whose name isn't worth mentioning.  If I could care enough to remember it.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Nah I'm good. Crypto is not something I'm interested in.
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Is this person high?  I think this person is high.
    Amathe

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    500 million people play MMO's . . . doubtful 1/14 people in the world play MMOs. 

Doubt 1/14 people in America even play video games at any meaningful amount. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Let's have an e-bay Amathe zerg day where ya'll buy some shit I have in my garage.
    RexKushmanAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Amathe said:
    Let's have an e-bay Amathe zerg day where ya'll buy some shit I have in my garage.
    It's a more worthwhile goal than buying cryptocurrency.

How does May 31st sound?
    Amathe

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Yanocchi said:
    Today it just suddenly hit me like a lightning from a clear sky that one day MMO gamers could end up organizing a Global Crypto Zerg Day. At the very least it is MMO gamers who will probably truly understand how insanely genious the whole concept is. :o You just need to dig deeper into the different motivations, causes and consequences to understand why. All it take really is to incept this idea in people's minds and it could grow and become contagious.

The idea is that the MMO gamer communities of the whole world are technically apt and psychologically pre-inclined to initiate a global Crypto Zerg Day.  :#

How could it happen? Most likely a hype would build up and then everybody would start spreading the news that on Day X at an exact hour they should buy a certain type of cryptocurrency for whatever amount of money they feel comfortable enough to loose. Someone could use just $1 and someone could use $1000, whatever they can spare. The world has created circumstances, in which tens or even hundreds of millions of gamers and maybe also other online users across all the existing MMOs and also different Youtube channels and forums can rally to hit some cryptocurrency blockchain with an enormous amount of money, one billion US dollars or more, perhaps even on a precisely the same date of the year. I think the idea wouldn't be simply to hit a crypto network but to transfer a substantial portion of its volume into the hands of MMO gamers.

Consider the following points why a global Crypto Zerg Day could actually be pulled off and why people might go along.

1. In total, there are roughly 500 million MMO gamers in the whole world. In many MMO games there are in-game chat channels where news can be spread quickly to hundreds or thousands of people, who can spread it further into their clans, guilds and organisations. It is realistic to spread a message to a hundred million people within one or two months if everyone has something extraordinary to gain from the endeavour. So, the social tools to organise a Crypto Zerg Day have already been given to us in MMO games and other online channels of communication.

2. The Psychology - Part 1. MMO gamers are used to getting virtual assets for real money. It's one group of people in the world who can figure out easily how to buy some cryptocurrency and have the mindset and experience to actually do something like this.

3. The Psychology - Part 2. MMO gamers understand the concept of a planned and co-ordinated zerg rush. >:) But why did zergs emerge in the first place in MMO games? Is it because deep inside himself or herself an average MMO gamer wants to do something extraordinary and perhaps sensational, which breaks the boring routines of daily life? The idea of having a planned and co-ordinated Crypto Zerg Day is unusual and fresh enough to generate a critical amount of hype. :p Meanwhile, the means to perform a zerg raid and cause a global sensation in the real world are now finally provided with the existence of cryptocurrencies. The alluring part in the idea is that a single event like this would have an impact on the world. Not a virtual world, but the real one. Cryptocurrencies are nowadays familiar to a lot of people in the world. You also have to bear in mind that typical MMO gamers are fascinated by mathematical numbers and their changes (the way interactions in MMO games work), perhaps some inclination towards gambling (and Random Number Generation). This could be an alluring factor too.

4. There is nothing illegal or bad about the whole concept to deter the build up of the hype. In fact, MMO gamers might be doing the whole world a favor, which could boost the hype. The world is curious and wants see what happens both technically and economically when a crypto network is suddenly hit with a really enormous amount of money all at once. In that sense, maybe a lower volume network like Litecoin would be a better target than Bitcoin because hitting a network with $5 billion market cap would make a much more tremendous impact than hitting a network with $90 billion market cap. In a way, a Crypto Zerg Day would be a beta test.

6. With a Crypto Zerg Day, a considerable portion of some cryptocurrency in the world would fall into the hands of MMO gamers. B) This could offer MMO communities some interesting new opportunities. If all the MMO gaming communities in the whole world adopted a certain cryptocurrency, we could actually use it in games to help fellow players, guild mates, exchange in-game stuff between games with the help of the cryptocurrency and so on. In MMO games people can stay anonymous and a common cryptocurrency could help to share the hobby but also preserve anonimity. Maybe the impact would be so big that some game developers and publishers would also adopt that cryptocurrency to sell things to players. Maybe the whole gaming industry and hardware manufacturers might follow too. So, it's even possible that MMO gamers could eventually make that certain chosen cryptocurrency even more prominent than Bitcoin. To this point, everyone in the world has been complaining that there isn't enough meaningful use for cryptocurrency. Well, a cryptocurrency could prove useful for MMO gaming and with 500 million potential users it might become the most widely used cryptocurrency in the world, giving it the most solid value out of all existing cryptocurrencies.

All in all, it somehow feels natural that MMO gamers could be the first pioneers and major users of some cryptocurrency.

Its hard enough these days to organize a 40 man raid and you want to pull off something this epic on such a grand scale ?! But if it could be done and it worked ?!

Yanocchi
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    edited April 2019

2) Lets say you somehow magically overcame issue 1 and managed to get millions of people to agree on one particular digital asset into which they all throw their money. You would have to plan this in advance, so that the date would be known to the market participants. They will buy said crypto in advance of the zerg day increasing its price, so that you and your zerg will be buying the asset at a higher price while driving the price even further up as you will be buying due to limited liquidity in the crypto asset space (more on that in issue 3).

To use the right slang, people would be dumping their bags on you and you will end up with a position valued less than what you spent on it. In other words, you would lose money.

3) Lets say the market participants will be asleep for an extended period of time and nobody uses this opportunity to make easy money as described in issue 2. The real problem will hit once you all start buying in large quantities.

With the limited liquidity in the crypto markets, you will drive the price hundreds or possibly thousands of percent upwards within minutes. It means that those who start buying 20 minutes after the start of the zerg will already be buying the asset at 100x the price that the first buyers paid. They would lose the most in this pump and dump because the price would quickly fall back to its original levels as the larger investors would be dumping their bags. 

I think there is a doubt factor involved in points 2 and 3. Let's say we are investors and we know that some group is planning to buy a lot of cryptocurrency 20 days from now. Would we really trust that those people would really do it and not just talk about doing it? It would be a gamble. We could buy cryptocurrency and increase the price but the price could slide down if the "collective crowd acquisition" is not carried out and turns out to be a hoax. The other thing to consider is the automatic trading algorithms. My suspicion is that they may not yet be as fine-tuned for cryptocurrency trading as they are for stock exchange. Maybe they are fine-tuned but they are just too many amateurs setting up automatic limit orders and stop orders at different crypto exchanges.

It might also be interesting to discuss these points in the light of recent events. On April 2 a 100-million-dollar purchase went through and it has affected the prices of cryptocurrencies for more than a week ever since.

If you look at the curve of Bitcoin price, it went up really steeply on April 2 but it still kept rising from April 2 to April 10. I don't know, maybe there was an expectation that some more big purchases would take place. The slide back towards the earlier price started to happen only on April 11.

As for myself, I made a little bit of profit when Bitcoin went up by 30% in the beginning of April. I bought 1 BTC when it was $3,6k in February and sold it for approximately $4,9k a week ago. It was my first time and I don't know if I'll ever want to do it again. It was nerve-racking to not know which way the value would swing and whether my 1 BTC would one day suddenly turn into 0 BTC because of some hacker, security breach or potential dishonesty of people managing the exchange. On top of that, in total the exchange took away almost 5% of my money with purchase and sale commissions and buy-sell spread. I was already preparing to ditch that bitcoin at $4k mark and be really happy with not loosing 5% on commission costs but then the big swing happened. What I wanted most was to have a bit of personal experience with crypto trading, how it happens and how it feels.

People with MMO gaming as their hobby are indeed probably too disorganised to attend anything else but a Comic-Con, Game Expo, Cosplay Fest or E-Tournament. If people ever decided to conspire as a collective, it might be more realistic to expect a collective crypto acquisition from fans and followers of some famous Youtuber or other celebrity. But in that case people would probably be too suspicious that the celebrity is trying to lure them into the plot just for his or her personal gain and might dump them.

• iamokkkiamokkk Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    I think that the best way for magento is for sure e-commerce . U can build a big place and ahve big money for it. Like example, https://www.mageworx.com/ and their main idea is using magento and they have pretty big base of customers. So u need to find your way , but for me e-commerce is for sure the best!
  • cindy8559cindy8559 Newbie CommonPosts: 1

It's great to come to your blog gpa calculator

• marisaadamsmarisaadams Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Thanks a lot for the epic post - https://www.mconnectmedia.com/

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    So, my original post two years ago had correctly predicted these "zerg" purchases by ordinary people. It hasn't happened with cryptocurrencies (at least not yet), but it has with Gamestop shares and now with silver.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    So you are saying that YOU predicted that people would find out that the greedy hedgefund melvin capitol was going to short sell gamestop stocks 140% (40% not even any actual stock) and go and zerg it to teach corporate greed a lesson?
    Quizzical
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Yanocchi said:
    So, my original post two years ago had correctly predicted these "zerg" purchases by ordinary people. It hasn't happened with cryptocurrencies (at least not yet), but it has with Gamestop shares and now with silver.
    That's kind of like if I predicted that a massive category 5 hurricane would devastate Miami one year, and then such a hurricane hit Puerto Rico three years later, and I came back to claim that that proved that my prediction was right.  Other than having all of the details wrong, that is.
    Asheram
  • DennisWaltersDennisWalters Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    So basically, you bought a bunch of cryptocurrency right :)
    Magento Speed Optimization
    Magento 2 Migration Services
    Magento Developer for Hire