Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge Unchained Review In Progress: Breaking From Its History - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageArcheAge Unchained Review In Progress: Breaking From Its History - MMORPG.com

ArcheAge Unchained has had a rough start to its PTS week, being plagued by server instability and bugs from the past. In the downtime, I take time to reflect on previous ArcheAge experiences and wonder what the future will hold with Gamigo controlling the reins.

Read the full story here

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    so you are telling me gamigo is doing the same mistakes trion did when launched the game?

where is everyone who said it would be diferent this time?

can I start to say I told you so?
    black_isleThupliDeadSpockNephethmcrippinskinkyJalepenoLexTalion
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    A review based on the PTS? Wow.
    QuicksandNeptuscheebaViper482tweedledumb99PurplePepeGamePlay4ULeFantome
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Filbur said:

This is what I was thinking....a review for a PTS is really reaching....
    chocolate42069alkarionlogQuicksandtweedledumb99PurplePepe
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 489
    edited October 2019
    I rather you do a re-review of the Free To Play Destiny 2 than this.
    DeadSpockcheebaPurplePepeJaviso
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Albatroes said:

Filbur said:

I think it's a good idea. We've only got a week until launch, so any problems they've got now they're likely to also have at launch.

Maybe MMORPG.com should have titled this article as preview or something like that, but if it looks unlikely that the game is going to launch stable it's good to hear in advance.
    chocolate42069[Deleted User]ThupliJensynPurplePepeLexTalionversulas

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    They currently have 1 pts for 6 full servers worth of ppl. That alone screams stupid on gamigo part honestly but it is just that a test server. The launch might very well not be like it now simply because the servers will not be under nearly as much stress as they are now.

You cannot take what is on the pts server in terms of stability and lag. Or even the cashshop/archepass/dilegence shop because they are all going to be adjusted at launch based on their livestreams.

Bottom line this is not an early release.

Now if launch is a lag filled crash fest.... then hold them over the fire

And I echo others why is mmorpg reviewing a game on a test server and not waiting to play on an actual live server for the game.
    sschrupp

I rather you do a re-review of the Free To Play Destiny 2 than this.

he would need to log on it for that :)
  • PromyvionPromyvion Member UncommonPosts: 21

Filbur said:

It's a review in progress, indicating there will be more. SMH.
    Jensyn
  • JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited October 2019

Torval said:

Vrika said:

Albatroes said:

Filbur said:

I think it's a good idea. We've only got a week until launch, so any problems they've got now they're likely to also have at launch.

Maybe MMORPG.com should have titled this article as preview or something like that, but if it looks unlikely that the game is going to launch stable it's good to hear in advance.

If anything the author should be commended for braving the waters here with an AA article. It takes some grit to do that. A PTS preview is good enough for me at this stage. Like you point out, it's better than nothing and provides a first look.

Personally, I think the relaunch will end up a mess. I like that Emily clarified what broke the game for them originally and that is the lens through which this launch should be scrutinized.

Thanks Torval! I really appreciate it.

Also, posting this here in case some folks don't make it to the second page of comments!

Hi folks, just wanted to clarify that this is a "Review in Progress". I'll be writing at least 2-3 more "Reviews in Progress" before the final review. The review itself isn't based on the PTS, but this is where my experience started, and where I was asked to provide feedback in my first review in progress article. The score you see above is just from what MMORPG previously gave the original ArcheAge. The folks on the back end are working hard to give AA Unchained its own header and such, so when the final review comes out AA Unchained will have a score that reflects how I feel about the game.  General access to the testing server started today, so jump on in!
    Post edited by Jensyn on
    [Deleted User]RexKushmansschruppTacticalZombehatonico
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
    Arterius said:
    I think a review for this should have waited a few months till we know exactly what kind of MTX their will be in the future. If they give this a 8.5/10 people on here will never let them live it down.
    who would really read a months old review? most would gather the info on forums
    Jensyn
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I don't care what your perspective of the game is. It's fundamentally a goofy thing to do. Literally anything that's right or wrong can be walked back. Why review an update of an existing game from PTS?

cheeba
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

Promyvion said:

Filbur said:

The thing is, most of the issues mentioned here are already fixed on the PTS right now. After all, that is the whole point of a PTS - to test things out... It shouldn't be the basis of a review, even if its still in progress.
  • PromyvionPromyvion Member UncommonPosts: 21

Filbur said:

Promyvion said:

Filbur said:

The thing is, most of the issues mentioned here are already fixed on the PTS right now. After all, that is the whole point of a PTS - to test things out... It shouldn't be the basis of a review, even if its still in progress.

People care about how the pts is functioning, I know I do. Preliminary information; especially pertaining to the cash shop is very useful and maybe everyone doesn't read reddit and hasn't been able to take a look.

The game was supposed to be out by now and we're only still in the pts because of several glaring issues that needed to be addressed.

The article also touches on the point that archeage was originally released with the promise of no P2W and new publisher or not, it's useful to new players to know that we've already been burned once.
    TacticalZombeh
    I need to make a recall of memory to point out the way the alpha AA was and then the way the launch week was and after, alpha could be called the test server, when the game launched it was a diferent game, with problems of head start and launch dates being overflowed with huge lines, with is what is happening again without the game being in relaunch date yet
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The reason why a review (of any kind) for a PTS build is, for lack of a better word, stupid is because it means nothing. You review only after stuff is live because it reveals the company's original intent. Just take Ubisoft and Breakpoint, releasing every MTX known to man then getting backlash and saying "we released some of them to soon and they were only meant for new players to catch up." So what Ubisoft? You gonna refund all those transactions? No....Test all you want, no one cares until it actually is LIVE.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Covering/reviewing the PTS is a total waste of time.

No matter what the state at launch, we need to be updated about it. Anyone genuinely interested in knowing about the game, instead of those hanging around to hate and/or gossip, will want to know if what is said here is true or not when it actually matters.. so what's the point of saying it now?

Another 'launch' review is needed either way.
    cheebaLeFantomedoomexalkarionlog
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Losing credibility one article at a time....

Not sure whats more sad in 2019. The state of MMORPGs or mmorpg.com writing staff...
    LeFantomedoomexalkarionlog

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• RS-ManRS-Man Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited October 2019

=/= Better be defeated for a triumph than not to triumph by fear of failure! =\=

AsRock x370 Taichi AM4 Promontory
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz 1.33v
    CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 - Temps: ~28-32 idle ~45-60 load
    G.Skill Ripjaws 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
    MSI GamingX GTX 1070
    CoolerMaster 850Watts PowerSupply

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This game was already reviewed once. Other than what is and isn't in the cash shop has enough changed to warrant another review?

I did play it during the original NA release (and I was thunderstruck rich early...3 pines in my first 2 weeks :) ) but I haven't played it for a long time. So it's an honest question: is there enough new meat on this old bone for a new review or is it just a matter of highlighting the cash shop changes and calling that a review?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    cheeba said:
    Losing credibility one article at a time....

Not sure whats more sad in 2019. The state of MMORPGs or mmorpg.com writing staff...
    How did this article lose credibility for the site? If you are referring to starting the review based off of the PTS, I would counter that by saying I would like more reviews to have this coverage. There have been several games in the past where this type of info would have given me enough foresight to not make a purchase when I did. 

Now, if this was a scored review and was the final word the site had on the game, that would be a tough one to swallow. But, maybe you didn't actually read what the author had to say, but she did mention she would be back with more after the game went live.
    KyleranJensynlotrlore[Deleted User]RexKushmanTacticalZombeh
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Iselin said:

This game was already reviewed once. Other than what is and isn't in the cash shop has enough changed to warrant another review?

I did play it during the original NA release (and I was thunderstruck rich early...3 pines in my first 2 weeks :) ) but I haven't played it for a long time. So it's an honest question: is there enough new meat on this old bone for a new review or is it just a matter of highlighting the cash shop changes and calling that a review?

I would say another review is due for this game, even without AA Unchained. A lot has changed in the main game. The way crafting works now is very different from before. Also new graphics, new class, and im sure lots of other new features. Some might be interested in learning about those things.
    Jensyn[Deleted User]TacticalZombehversulas
    Hi folks, just wanted to clarify that this is a "Review in Progress". I'll be writing at least 2-3 more "Reviews in Progress" before the final review. The score you see above is just from what MMORPG previously gave the original ArcheAge. The folks on the back end are working hard to give AA Unchained its own header and such, so when the final review comes out AA Unchained will have a score that reflects how I feel about the game. General access to the testing server started today, so jump on in!
    [Deleted User]RexKushman
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    A review for a PTS ?? You sir, have dropped the ball.
    Phryalkarionlog

LeFantome said:
    A review for a PTS ?? You sir, have dropped the ball.
    Never been the best at sports! :blush:
    [Deleted User]kitaradTacticalZombeh
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    edited October 2019

mcrippins said:

Iselin said:

I would say another review is due for this game, even without AA Unchained. A lot has changed in the main game. The way crafting works now is very different from before. Also new graphics, new class, and im sure lots of other new features. Some might be interested in learning about those things.

We'll only be reviewing the Unchained update, as we just don't have the bandwidth to do both - but it would be worth a revisit.

As far as the reason why this exists, to me it's pure and simple: people paid money to get into the PTS before launch. Therefore that is part of the overall experience right now We aren't passing final judgement on AAU based on this review in progress, but it's part of the review process. We will have more coverage after the October 15th launch, as well as our final review once it's ready. But informing potential purchasers of the state of a game, wherever that game is in its development, is kind of our job. And we will do that, whether it's an impressions piece of a game still in its PTS phase leading into launch or its an established title three years later.

Thanks for the constructive criticism all - we really do read the comments and want to improve in any way we can.
    Post edited by lotrlore on
    Jensynmcrippins[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh