Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon confirmed to have PVP at launch

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
MOP broke the story today of Brad confirming there will be a focus ON PVP after the PVE side is finished.  Article also summarizes some of Brad's other musings as well.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/07/pantheons-brad-mcquaid-recent-dev-blogs-cover-everything-from-pvp-to-instancing/

He even states the plan is to have a PVP server at launch and perhaps alternate rule sets in the future.

Here's a link to the post on the Pantheon web site for those wanting more info.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/186/pantheon-pv-p-launch-vs-post-launch

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Amathecraftseeker

Comments

• HawksterHawkster Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Well, there goes my interest.  "Perhaps alternate rule sets..." translates to, no it would cost too much to develop another rule set so we will just make "balance changes" as the game goes along.  That worked so well for the PvE in WoW.  Shrug.  Oh well,  
    craftseeker
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited October 2019
    No separate PvE server then ? Well no thanks then.

I read that blog am not sure what the plans are . Is there going to be separate server types or not?

Oh sorry my bad I was corrected by @Kyleran

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Good read. Thanks for sharing it. I tried to go over all of that but I faded in the stretch. One thing caught my eye:

"In choosing, please leave out the obviously silly or obscene ones."

Obscene? I've never seen an obscene post about Pantheon. 
    craftseeker

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    kitarad said:
    Gah... no, read the linked articles, he said they plan to have at least one PVP server in addition to all of the many PVE servers.
    Sovrathkitaradcraftseeker[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Gah... no, read the linked articles, he said they plan to have at least one PVP server in addition to all of the many PVE servers.
    Ahh okay thanks sorry I skimmed  :( :p
    KyleranScot

Hawkster said:
    Well, there goes my interest.  "Perhaps alternate rule sets..." translates to, no it would cost too much to develop another rule set so we will just make "balance changes" as the game goes along.  That worked so well for the PvE in WoW.  Shrug.  Oh well,  
    Again, no, read the articles before judging, he explains how he wants to keep the PVE and PVP mechanics separate, or at least not influencing the others.

Still a bit of a black box, but goals are good.

• bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    They have been saying this for a long time, atleast one PvP server will be available at launch.  In addition the alternate rule-set servers, meaning RP servers, perhaps faction based PvP servers, alternate death penalty rule-set servers. Many alt. rule-sets have been discussed as ideas of the community on the forums.  Nothing confirmed other than PvE and one PvP server at launch.  at least thats what they plan on.
    AmatheKyleran
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Hawkster said:
    This is the same thing they did for EQ1. It never affected PvE in any way. Each PvP server had its own rule set and you could pick the one you wanted. This is something they have been talking about for a long time. 
    AmatheKyleranCatibrie
  • HawksterHawkster Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Kyleran said:
    Hawkster said:
    Again, no, read the articles before judging, he explains how he wants to keep the PVE and PVP mechanics separate, or at least not influencing the others.

Still a bit of a black box, but goals are good.
    I understand that.  But, very rarely these days to dev promises/intentions seem to come to fruition.  IF they manage to keep them separate, then I may be all over this title.  But, I will have to see it to believe it.  I remember reading way back when and they said PvP would not be a part of the game.  Now, it is.  So, I will keep an eye on it..but I am not putting my eggs in that basket.
    craftseeker
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Hawkster said:
    After some time they did say they were going to have pvp servers and that was a while ago. This isn’t new info. He’s just placating the “other “ people who are also misunderstanding what he has said before.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Eh, what?  I'm not sure if posting an article about stuff that's been said for 2+ years is really "breaking the story".

The plan has always been to have PVP server(s), according to Brad.

As for alternate rulesets...
    Hey, Brad:  Project M... just saying.  Everyone loved Project M (well maybe not the PVE players so much :D)
    Kyleran
    Everquest also had PvP servers from what I recall. Races vs races servers.  I always expected them to do that. I thought they changed their mind and decided to make them all PvP. Glad to see I was wrong.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Bottom line if you don’t like pvp you don’t have to worry. 
    AmatheKyleran
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    kitarad said:
    Everquest also had PvP servers from what I recall. Races vs races servers.  I always expected them to do that. I thought they changed their mind and decided to make them all PvP. Glad to see I was wrong.
    EQ actually had 3 different types of PVP servers.  Rundown for those who wonder what rules they had:

1) Race Team servers... which was a bit exploitable, because people "cross-teamed".  There was a level cap of +/- 8 on attacking other players, iirc.  So a level 50 couldn't attack a level 30... directly.

2) It also had a FFA server.  Level cap of +/- 4.  This server also had player-looting.  I don't remember if it was one-item or full loot, as I didn't play there.

3) Later, sometime around Velious, they added an "alignment" team server.  Basically, your choice of deity decided which team you were on.  Teams being Good/Neutral/Evil.   This server was unique in that there were no level caps.  So it was pretty wild-west. 

I think players under level 6 were protected from PVP, however.  Hence, the infamy of "Fansy the bard" for anyone who heard of that.
    Bards got their run-speed song at level 5.  Fansy got to level 5 and just ran around training giants, etc., onto the opposing teams.
    Hopefully there will be a "No Rules" PvP server, so that we may see a return of Fansy the Famous Bard. 
    kitarad

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

God Fansy , now there's a name that is a blast from the past.
    Amathe

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    It was already on the iffy side, PVP will be the nail in the coffin. No thanks.
    KyleranKumaponXarkocraftseeker
    kitarad said:
    God Fansy , now there's a name that is a blast from the past.
    When it came to a server with no play nice rules, no level limits, and a promise of many unfair battles, nobody wanted to be the good guy. The few that did (a mere 11% according to estimates) quickly succumbed the city of Freeport and surrounding zones to the evil team, favoring to hide out in secluded locations such as Halas.

But one man stayed behind.

One man chose to fight the evil team on their own territory.

That man was known simply as

FANSY THE FAMOUS BARD
    Kyleran

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Fine by me. I will probably play the Pvp server. 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Amathe said:
    Hopefully there will be a "No Rules" PvP server, so that we may see a return of Fansy the Famous Bard. 
    Did somebody say, "Bard"?

AmathekitaradKyleranKumaponSovrath[Deleted User]Xarko
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited October 2019
    Lokero said:
    Eh, what?  I'm not sure if posting an article about stuff that's been said for 2+ years is really "breaking the story".

The plan has always been to have PVP server(s), according to Brad.

As for alternate rulesets...
    Hey, Brad:  Project M... just saying.  Everyone loved Project M (well maybe not the PVE players so much :D)
    Well, breaking referred to information made available over the weekend in terms of new dev blogs.

MOP also lead with PVP will be featured "prominently" which until today I've not seen stated so emphatically.

Finally, the linked PVP info is a reposting Brad did in the official forums where the subject was recently raised again.

MassivelyOP reported " he’s clarifying as well as talking more about the playerbase and community, which he says only continues to grow in size – and attract more “skeptics.”  (polite code word for trolls, harbingers and others who live "under the bridge")

>:) 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited October 2019
    Brad said: "We were going to call the PvE tutorial zone 'the introduction zone' but now it will be PvP, we are calling it 'the death zone'!"

Ok I just made that up calm down and read more than one sentence you guys. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
    KyleranSovrath
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    PVP requirement to leave starter island!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hawkster said:
    Yep it really baffles me that the obvious ,that is ruining PVe to balance pvp is not understood by so many devs.
    Sure if they completely separate the two and have totally different stats and systems,then whatever go nuts,idc about pvp anyhow.
    I said it already,the past has told me Brad has NOT learned from mistakes and bad game design,he will do the same mistakes....again.

There is the flip side,maybe he and his team do GET IT,maybe this is simply about $$$$,if we try and PRETEND to cater to a larger audience,we make more money.Problem is I KNOW this does not work within the same game/setup for both PVE and pvp.

I can explain the whole design idea in very simple terms.For myself i want the combat to be EXTREME,this means you MUST have a Tank,dps,healer,this means a mistake and the paper weights are dead.Having special attacks that are extreme dmg can also garner aggro away from the tank,so the entire TEAM concept has to be on the same page,spik damage and hate tools are used at the same time.

What pvp does is basically make everyone the same,nothing is extreme because a DPS would kill a paper weight in seconds and pvp can't have that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Wizardry said:
    Hawkster said:
    Yep it really baffles me that the obvious ,that is ruining PVe to balance pvp is not understood by so many devs.
    Sure if they completely separate the two and have totally different stats and systems,then whatever go nuts,idc about pvp anyhow.
    I said it already,the past has told me Brad has NOT learned from mistakes and bad game design,he will do the same mistakes....again.

There is the flip side,maybe he and his team do GET IT,maybe this is simply about $$$$,if we try and PRETEND to cater to a larger audience,we make more money.Problem is I KNOW this does not work within the same game/setup for both PVE and pvp.

I can explain the whole design idea in very simple terms.For myself i want the combat to be EXTREME,this means you MUST have a Tank,dps,healer,this means a mistake and the paper weights are dead.Having special attacks that are extreme dmg can also garner aggro away from the tank,so the entire TEAM concept has to be on the same page,spik damage and hate tools are used at the same time.

What pvp does is basically make everyone the same,nothing is extreme because a DPS would kill a paper weight in seconds and pvp can't have that.
    EQ was awesome. Nothing you say matters.
    Kyleransvannvandal5627