Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Astellia Review In Progress - Part 2

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Cynehild said:
    MMORPG.com comments section never fails to be the most negative. On any games. I've actually never came across a game where MMORPG.com comments section doesn't rip apart (even WoW, MH:W, and Borderlands 3) that I'm seriously wondering if you guys like any games at all.
    I don't speak for everyone else but yes, I do like most of the MMOs that don't have sexualized little girls in them,

Any male adults who like this should have to explain very clearly why they're OK with that and then get registered with the local police department... I kid... no I don't.
    doomexKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Well youtube reviews are saying the game is ok.
    gunklacker
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Cynehild said:
    MMORPG.com comments section never fails to be the most negative. On any games. I've actually never came across a game where MMORPG.com comments section doesn't rip apart (even WoW, MH:W, and Borderlands 3) that I'm seriously wondering if you guys like any games at all.
    People who don't have any games that they like to play have more time to come here and whine about how everything is awful.
    Mikeha
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    DMKano said:
    ray12k said:
    Well youtube reviews are saying the game is ok.

Quit looking at paid reviews, or reviews done by those who are below level 10.

Look at this one 

Here is another more recent one

Yeah look at actual 3rd party non-paid reviews by those who have played it through end game.

Newest review on youtube. ... So yeah. People do think the game is ok. Not to mention I can give you 10k links to flat earth believers ...
    https://youtu.be/jDw6_g6FE_8
    Aeander
    DMKano said:

Yeah look at actual 3rd party non-paid reviews by those who have played it through end game.
    Because the only reason why anyone would ever disagree with your personal opinion is that they're paid to do so?
    gunklackerLinifOzmodan
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    A little calm guys, this is not Twitter. :)

The pre-review seemed soundly set out and informative enough for me to realise having only read this one that it is not for me. The idea of having extra characters to bypass content rather summed it up for me.
    DMKano said:

Literally what I was saying - neutral review the best he could say "it's not that bad" 

It's not that good either.

Hehe
    If a game is not that bad, but not that good either, then why do you pick that as the game that you have to warn everyone to avoid?  In a world flooded with blatant pay to win, games that nearly play themselves for you, and games hacked together out of pirated assets, Astellia is surely not the worst offender.
    doomex
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2019
    MMORPG.com would figure out how to spin dysentery into something that's not terrible "depending on your personal preference".

I'd like to hear reviews from people who have really played Archeage, Black Desert, Aion, Lineage and don't need media passes/access or industry relationships to worry about.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    DMKano said:
    doomex said:
    Well, i will give Astellia a 6/10 because they know how to bait people into purchasing a mediocre b2p product. Game is not that bad but not good either. 

They dont even know how to bait people IMO - as they sold so few copies - seems like nobody knows nor cares about this game.

Maybe they didn’t show enough tits.
    Fatal mistake...
    doomex
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I'd rather spend money and time ordering korean bbq.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Phry
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247

doomex said:

Well, i will give Astellia a 6/10 because they know how to bait people into purchasing a mediocre b2p product. Game is not that bad but not good either. There are far more better games for that price. Now GuildWars2 is 30$ with both expansions.

The devs are good bunch tho. They tried to change a p2w game into b2p without p2w elements. It's challenging because the game is bland one also.

So if you like the game and like to spend money on every game that appears no matter how bad is it. Go for it.

I payed 9$ for 1 month of play, so it dont have to be b2p
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,139
    edited October 2019
    I feel like i may have given Astellia an unfair personal impression due to still working through my "Bless PTSD"

In the past i've experienced korean mmorpg titles go through various stages of it's lifespan, and the one's that always filled me with little bits of pessimism, were the one's that shut down completely before they had a chance to really flourish.

Bless Online shutting down was just part of a long line of mmo's I've witness shutdowns in my life, so i think when Astellia came along; mentally i just wasn't ready to give it any of my attention, because at that point- i had already guarded myself from the prospect of yet another game shutdown.

That's not a great mental habit to get into, and i realized it was putting blinders on me and keeping me from experiencing the joys of discovery in yet another virtual realm.

Yes, on the surface it may appear mediocre, it's certainly repeating things we've all seen many times before; but there is an odd charm to the Astal aspects- so... there is that.

I've told myself i'll give it a month, so i'm playing it for a month. I want to give it a fair shake.

MikehaTacticalZombeh

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Excuse me but why the fuck do I need to pay 10$ to try your game and then buy it for full price?
    https://www.astellia-mmo.com/shop/subscription

It's 2019, either give free trial up to a certain level or play time or if you are going greedy and charging 10$ per month, at least make the game 10$ cheaper afterwards. You can limit this to maximum 1 month of discount (10$) but don't get greedy as fuck and try to milk your customers. This just screams that you are not confident your game is good enough and you are trying to milk as much money as possible before going f2p and full p2w.

Personally, because of this change and "listening to your playerbase" bullshit, I am not touching the game. If you really listened to the players, and that's what you came up with, then you are clearly the next Bless or Revelation Online
    doomex
  • DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Im actually enjoying the game...yes its not perfect...but it has different elements in it than others. Ill get my money worth out of it.
    KyleranMikeha
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I don't wish to be wicked, but that was a execrably written synopsis, I cringed whilst pouring over parts...unless English isn't your native argot of course, then I beg your pardon!
    Kyleran
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
    yonpachi said:
    Excuse me but why the fuck do I need to pay 10$ to try your game and then buy it for full price?

It's 2019, either give free trial up to a certain level or play time or if you are going greedy and charging 10$ per month, at least make the game 10$ cheaper afterwards. You can limit this to maximum 1 month of discount (10$) but don't get greedy as fuck and try to milk your customers. This just screams that you are not confident your game is good enough and you are trying to milk as much money as possible before going f2p and full p2w.

Personally, because of this change and "listening to your playerbase" bullshit, I am not touching the game. If you really listened to the players, and that's what you came up with, then you are clearly the next Bless or Revelation Online
    Think of it as a subscription game with a $10/month subscription and an option to buy a lifetime subscription for $30.  Most games with a lifetime subscription option charge a lot more than $30, and I'm not aware of any that count months subscribed as a deduction toward the cost of the lifetime subscription.

I expect that if they stay with this business model (admittedly, a huge "if"), they'll eventually offer a free trial.  But you don't offer the free trials on launch day.  You offer them substantially later as a way to boost a sagging playerbase.
    Iselin
    Neoyoshi said:
    I feel like i may have given Astellia an unfair personal impression due to still working through my "Bless PTSD"

In the past i've experienced korean mmorpg titles go through various stages of it's lifespan, and the one's that always filled me with little bits of pessimism, were the one's that shut down completely before they had a chance to really flourish.

Bless Online shutting down was just part of a long line of mmo's I've witness shutdowns in my life, so i think when Astellia came along; mentally i just wasn't ready to give it any of my attention, because at that point- i had already guarded myself from the prospect of yet another game shutdown.

That's not a great mental habit to get into, and i realized it was putting blinders on me and keeping me from experiencing the joys of discovery in yet another virtual realm.

Yes, on the surface it may appear mediocre, it's certainly repeating things we've all seen many times before; but there is an odd charm to the Astal aspects- so... there is that.

I've told myself i'll give it a month, so i'm playing it for a month. I want to give it a fair shake.

Don't be afraid of playing a game just because it seems likely to shut down someday.  All MMORPGs will shut down someday, and it's only a question of when.  Plenty of games can be fun in the meantime.

I don't regret my time playing Kritika Online, even though I picked it up late in the game's lifetime and it would shut down not long after, and even though I'm probably the only regular on this site who liked the game at all.  The combat was really good, and I had fun there.

Rather, what you should fear is wasting your time on a game that isn't fun.  If it becomes clear that a game just isn't fun and isn't going to get better, then it's time to quit, whether you've given the game an hour or a week or a year.  That's true regardless of how much money you've already sunk into the game, and how much time is left on a subscription.

Play the games that you find fun, not the ones that random other people whom you'll never even meet think are fun.  Reward the developers who make games that you like, not the ones who do things that random other people like.
    MikehagunklackerKylerandoomex
    DMKano said:
    yonpachi said:

It's a cash grab.

The game failed in Korea- it's in maint mode there - western launch is just pure $ grab
    If your choice of a subscription or buy to play is a "cash grab", is there any business model that can't be described as that?  Aren't all commercial companies that make games trying to make money off of them?
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Iselin said:
    Cynehild said:

I don't speak for everyone else but yes, I do like most of the MMOs that don't have sexualized little girls in them,

Any male adults who like this should have to explain very clearly why they're OK with that and then get registered with the local police department... I kid... no I don't.
    I customized a main character, want me to send it to you?
    Kyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/