Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Showcases The Small Order Of Doctors In Latest Update - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation Showcases The Small Order Of Doctors In Latest Update - MMORPG.com

Ashes of Creation has continued its series of showcasing some of the pets and items players can look forward to when the full MMORPG goes live. This time around it's showing off its Unseen Shade cosmetics, giving a distinct feel of being in an Edgar Allan Poe poem within Creation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Something else from AoC to buy. Never saw it coming.
    lotrloreSamhaelSlapshot1188KyleranTacticalZombeh

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Are these cosmetics for the MMO or Apoc? I can't see paying for concept art without seeing it in game first.
  • G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited October 2019
    I can think of worse ways for a game studio to try and make money to fund the creation of their game. If people want to spend their money on cosmetic junk for a game that has no release date in sight, let them. Getting upset over something as inconsequential as this makes no sense.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Odd they said Apoc was for testing but they are running ads on twitch for it. Hopefully they don't give up on the actual game.
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96

G3Nexis said:

I can think of worse ways for a game studio to try and make money to fund the creation of their game. If people want to spend their money on cosmetic junk for a game that has no release date in sight, let them. Getting upset over something as inconsequential as this makes no sense.

It makes sense to get upset because it sets a precedent and normalizes these types of transactions. AoC has been pumping out/selling concept art cosmetics faster than they have been able to create their mounts or even basic armor, or get the BR balanced, or even have there studio fully staffed. These are essentially IOUs for a game thats gone over its development window and diverted already with this goofy BR. Literally "getting upset" is the only thing people CAN do as mindless whales and rubes throw money at something with no real proof of their faith being fulfilled up to this point.

From what Ive noticed as a MMO player for over a decade, most established MMOs (WoW, GW2,FFXIV, ESO) dont show concept models UNTIL they have a solid timeframe/expansion period confirmed. Intrepid might be filled with wunderkinds who can pump out content faster than those established studios. But considering how they have been hobbling along already I honestly doubt thats the case. I hope my doubt is alleviated by actually SEEING all of these cosmetics at least in model form before the game launches.
    sakerVezlinmcd6993
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Remember when they said they had "access" to $30M in funding?

Pretty sure that's mostly "vaporware" at this point.  :D 

Yet another indie dev team which is going to 'deliver' their MMORPG via a steady stream of crowd funding campaigns over the next 5 or more years.

Slapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

G3Nexis said:

It makes sense to get upset because it sets a precedent and normalizes these types of transactions. AoC has been pumping out/selling concept art cosmetics faster than they have been able to create their mounts or even basic armor, or get the BR balanced, or even have there studio fully staffed. These are essentially IOUs for a game thats gone over its development window and diverted already with this goofy BR. Literally "getting upset" is the only thing people CAN do as mindless whales and rubes throw money at something with no real proof of their faith being fulfilled up to this point.

From what Ive noticed as a MMO player for over a decade, most established MMOs (WoW, GW2,FFXIV, ESO) dont show concept models UNTIL they have a solid timeframe/expansion period confirmed. Intrepid might be filled with wunderkinds who can pump out content faster than those established studios. But considering how they have been hobbling along already I honestly doubt thats the case. I hope my doubt is alleviated by actually SEEING all of these cosmetics at least in model form before the game launches.

What is wrong with these types of transactions though? The "precedent" has already been set. These types of transactions have been occurring for many years now, most of the time including some sort of pay to win crap in the package. In this specific situation though they are only selling cosmetic garbage that has zero effect on you.

Also giving examples of games that were backed by big name studios that have endless amounts of money shows a slight ignorance to this topic. Literally every game you listed had all the money necessary to fund the development of the game from start to finish. A small studio like Intrepid does not, and thus needs to find other means to continue funding the development of the game. like I said before, I can think of much worse ways for them to try and make money.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2019
    G3Nexis said:

G3Nexis said:

What is wrong with these types of transactions though? The "precedent" has already been set. These types of transactions have been occurring for many years now, most of the time including some sort of pay to win crap in the package. In this specific situation though they are only selling cosmetic garbage that has zero effect on you.

Also giving examples of games that were backed by big name studios that have endless amounts of money shows a slight ignorance to this topic. Literally every game you listed had all the money necessary to fund the development of the game from start to finish. A small studio like Intrepid does not, and thus needs to find other means to continue funding the development of the game. like I said before, I can think of much worse ways for them to try and make money.

You mean like selling backers a MMORPG and delivering a marketable BR instead? 

Yep, I'll agree, much worse, but certainly better than say, human trafficking or MLM I suppose.

:D 
    sakermcd6993

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2019
    Kyleran said:

You mean like selling backers a MMORPG and delivering a marketable BR instead? 

Yep, I'll agree, much worse, but certainly better than say, human trafficking or MLM I suppose.

:D 

I mean that is a different topic entirely though. I am in no way specifically defending intrepid or saying they are the saviors of MMO's and they can do no wrong...

Believe me there are many negatives I could comment on when it comes to them, the whole BR thing being one. I backed this game what feels like 2 or 3 years ago and have seen nothing but a shitty BR game so I am there with you on that.

My point was that this specific topic is not something to get upset about whether its for this game, the next game, or even the one after that. Trying to make money selling cosmetics for a game whether released or not is not something to get all up in arms over. I would much rather see a brand new set of garbage cosmetics every week so they can make money than them selling access to a shitty Battle Royal version of the game. That is all.

Kyleran
  • tinnistinnis Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited October 2019
    There are already over 200 cosmetics for this project, pushed via fear of missing out tactics (and as upgrade options) and it grows by at least 6 every month with no end in sight...
    KyleranSlapshot1188sausagemixJamesGoblintweedledumb99