Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead? Is it crap?

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Check out the death of a game on YouTube. The guy nails it on Star Trek Online. The game is for those older Trek fans that have money to burn. It really is the perfect PWE game as the ultimate game for whales. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This game never got the TLC from the developer that such an important IP deserves. It would be like getting the Dune franchise and making a side scrolling hop and bop with it.
    Tiller

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I don't know if its dead but it is crap.  The quicker this game dies, the quicker that someone else can make a better Star Trek MMO.
    AmatheTillerDeadSpockFrodoFragins
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Hariken said:
    Check out the death of a game on YouTube. The guy nails it on Star Trek Online. The game is for those older Trek fans that have money to burn. It really is the perfect PWE game as the ultimate game for whales. 
    Agree. I enjoyed my 2 weeks in it after being gone 3 years, I doubt I will return anytime soon. It was kind of like visiting a museum of science and industry; fun for the day.

The game is literally full of whales, people with multitudes of tier 6 ships. Not sure what they do in it other than space raids because the ground raids are dead. I know I'm not dropping a dime on this game.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    WTF, Windows 10 is detecting the ARC installer as some kind of threat and won't run it...
    That's an advertisement for Windows 10 if I ever heard one.  Arc and I have an adversarial relationship.

The Steam option sounds more plausible for Win 7 users like me.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    I don't know if its dead but it is crap.  The quicker this game dies, the quicker that someone else can make a better Star Trek MMO.
    Or the quicker the Star Trek IP goes up in smoke for mmos.  It's not like if a popular IP's game fails, that someone can immediately start progress on a better alternative.  CBS is the ones that own the Star Trek IP.  If they can push Star Trek Discovery in STO without having to pay dollars to have a new game made, they're going to do exactly that.  If they can't get any dollars out of their Star Trek MMO, they're going to pull the plug on it and just push out multiplayer hub games or singleplayer games with a star trek skin on it (With their focus being on Discovery).  And unfortunately, PWE's business models is right up CBS's alley (With the focus on big impulse purchases for digital goods).
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    It's not dead and it's not crap. Sign on and play and see. If you love any of the Star Trek shows and movies you will have fun in this game.
    blamo2000ScorchienTillerAgent_Joseph
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This is one of those games I used to really love.  I don't play any game I am really into more than a couple months at a time (at the most).  When I go back I almost always start a new character to get myself reacquainted with the game.  This is a good example of a game that kind of pushed me away with bloat.  Too much changed and was added where I couldn't really get reacquainted, figure out what was going on, after a while go back to my old character if getting to where s/he is seems like to much of a hassle, and still have a clear idea of what I am doing and how to move forward.

But don't get me wrong.  There is a lot to this game.  I think its a very underrated mmorpg and offers a lot - it just added enough and changed enough where I personally felt like it would be too much of a hassle to jump back in and have fun.
    Mendel
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Asm0deus said:
    Huntrezz said:
    This game is crap and an embarrassment to the Star Trek name.  It had so much potential but they really screwed the whole thing up.  The best thing they could do is scrap the game now and let someone else take a shot with the Star Trek name. 
    This right here sums it up.
    Agreed, a very fitting summation. 

Yeah I just want to add I got reported in game for saying the F word. Imagine paying for all ships then get treated like you don't have the first amendment right. and They have profanity filter. The only mmo where I got reported for typing F word.

Well, no.  In a video game, you don't have any First Amendment rights.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I'm not seeing where private enterprises are mentioned.
    WBadger
    Summer event in full swing. I went back to earn a T6 Risian corvette.

Scorchien
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Tiller said:

Yea its a nice ship to , People like to piss and moan about STO  Loot boxes (and good ships are locked behind)  , but this is the 4th T6 they have given away since Xmas 18
    Rawiz
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    great mmo,if love ST you ll love STO
    ScorchiengunklackerAsm0deusDeadSpock
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Tiller said:
    I'm beginning to see why people say it's dying.

I look at the instance list and they've sneakily removed all of the indicators showing whether people are joining or not, in favor of wait times...which means you can no longer gauge how long you'll really have to wait before an instance is filled!

I think since the addition of the Star Trek Discovery crap, it was the last straw for most players and they got tired of the pandering to the SJWs rather than the actual point of Star Trek under Gene Roddenberry's vision. I think people left en masse in protest.
    Nice troll attempt. That has nothing to do with why the game is declining in population. It's because it's getting old, and not bringing many new players in to the fold. Stories are pretty basic, and ground and ship combat is marginal at best.

The whole premise of Star Trek was and has always been what some would consider to be filled with SJW stories back in the day, and even now. If you didn't know what GRs original vision for Star Trek, you aren't a true fan.

rofl. You have got to be kidding. There are mmos still going strong out there that have been around for much MUCH longer than this game. The game is crap. It always has been. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I jsut couldn't get into the game...it's been a few years since I tried it so maybe alot has changed...It just always felt "off".....
  • sarbonnsarbonn Member UncommonPosts: 119
    This is one of those games I just keep coming back to and hate myself for doing it because just returning to it makes me feel like I'm justifying the fact that they're not doing anything to make the game better.

It can be fun, but let's face it, the game has been on life support for a very long time. What gets me is that every time I go back, it takes me about a week to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing and then I go on autopilot until I realize I'd rather not be playing this game.
    MendelRawiz
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Scorchien said:
    Tiller said:

Yea its a nice ship to , People like to piss and moan about STO  Loot boxes (and good ships are locked behind)  , but this is the 4th T6 they have given away since Xmas 18
    Ye, grats to them for them. 4 ships given out as no one is playing in 1½ years. These guys really think about you.
    Palebane
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Rawiz said:
    Scorchien said:
    Tiller said:

Ye, grats to them for them. 4 ships given out as no one is playing in 1½ years. These guys really think about you.

I was doing the anniversary event missions today. There were many people online playing. I don't know what game you are talking about.
  • anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited July 2020
    Rawiz said:
    Scorchien said:
    Tiller said:

Its actually 3 high end ships per year. Anniversary-, Summer- and Winter-event. And sometimes something similar useful along the lines in-between like the freighter from a recent event. Not really high-end combat worthy but has other uses.

Not that you really need them for the main content STO is made for (singleplayer story missions & the occasional TFO [mini raid] ). PvP is kind of there and thats probably the wallet war ppl talking about. But that is a bit like complaining about some litter on the parking lot of the latest Disney World visit.

Hariken said:
    I did and it was a bit heart breaking. I watched NerdSlayers channel quite often before that and liked the investigative style. But as an on/off regular of STO it was VERY apparent that he not really played the game, talked mostly out of his behind and in some cases about outdated stuff. And considering that STO has a literal TREASURE TROVE of things you could roast Cryptic for... he could have had a field day. Instead I now question all the other stuff he made of games I was not very invested in.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I've given this game two legit chances, once when it went F2P and another to try the revamped start with TOS stuff, and it's just dull.  Space combat is a bit better than ground combat but neither are anything to write home about.

It was really terrible in terms of immersion into the Trek universe though.
    dragonlee66
    edited July 2020
    I've given this game two legit chances, once when it went F2P and another to try the revamped start with TOS stuff, and it's just dull.  Space combat is a bit better than ground combat but neither are anything to write home about.

meh, some stories are good, took me playing through every single episode to find the parts I liked though. I liked how it brought some closure to various series stories using the original actors voices. You can play through all of them casually in a few weeks.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Tiller said:

meh, some stories are good, took me playing through every single episode to find the parts I liked though. I liked how it brought some closure to various series stories using the original actors voices. You can play through all of them casually in a few weeks.

I did enjoy the new TOS starter area, but both times I played I stopped wanting to play anymore.  No rage quit or anything, just complete disinterest.  It probably had something to do with the cash shop as well, but I honestly don't remember exactly why I got bored last year when I tried it again.

Actually I do remember some missions being bugged and having to redo them.  I verified the bugs by googling and saw other people had the same issues.  But even if that wasn't the case, I still don't think I would have stayed.

The time frame it was in was probably the biggest turnoff.  I'd probably have enjoyed it more if it was set during a specific time frame like during TNG or DS9.  I think monetization is one reason why they'd never do that as it limits things that came later.  But it would have been much more immersive for me.
  • anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited July 2020
    Tiller said:

I did enjoy the new TOS starter area, but both times I played I stopped wanting to play anymore.  No rage quit or anything, just complete disinterest.  It probably had something to do with the cash shop as well, but I honestly don't remember exactly why I got bored last year when I tried it again.

Actually I do remember some missions being bugged and having to redo them.  I verified the bugs by googling and saw other people had the same issues.  But even if that wasn't the case, I still don't think I would have stayed.

The time frame it was in was probably the biggest turnoff.  I'd probably have enjoyed it more if it was set during a specific time frame like during TNG or DS9.  I think monetization is one reason why they'd never do that as it limits things that came later.  But it would have been much more immersive for me.
    Monetization is unlikely since it was released as traditional sub game without any gamble boxes and a very, very subdued shop. They simply would had been cornered themselves with storytelling too fast. They do have by now two big story arcs revolving around DS9 & the Dominion by now where late René Auberjonois (among other) did his Odo one last time.

The gameplay has not changed much though so I don't think you'll feel any more motivated if you disliked it last year. :/
    Tiller said:

It's not for everyone, it took me trying it 4 times before I got into it. Now I only log in for various events so I guess I'm pretty much done with it for the most part. I remember some bugs that forced you to have to restart missions, they are still there sadly, which I don't understand.

There will probably never be another ST MMO since CBS doesn't see Star Trek as a real strong IP, which is their own fault for letting it die such a slow death and keeping it behind a paywall.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    I tried STO several years after it launched.  My verdict was that they were trying way to hard to make "it's Star Trek", and not nearly hard enough to make "it's a good game".  As a result, the gameplay was pretty terrible, but it definitely had a Star Trek feel to it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sal1 said:
    It's not dead and it's not crap. Sign on and play and see. If you love any of the Star Trek shows and movies you will have fun in this game.
    I highly doubt ANYONE on this site was a bigger trekkie than me.I used to run home from school just in time to catch it on tv every single day.There were three shows in order that i rarely ever missed,Star Trek,Ultraman and Lost in Space ..yeah shoot me,i was just a kid.
    I think they might of actually still been in black n white but my memory is not good enough to remember that transition,that's over 50 years ago.

There was a couple others shows i watched religiously,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Land of the giants.

The 60's was a great time to be a kid watching TV.We had all the Ray harryhausen stuff as well,great movies for their time.

Long story short,you have no idea how disappointed i was  first stepping into STO,i was beyond angry at how lazy a game design it was.It sent such a message to me that i still remember the exact point i logged out of the game for good.I came up to an elevator and there wasn't even an elevator,all you did was click the door.I was like wtf is this crap,i could make a moving elevator for them in like 10 minutes.
    Tokken

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.