Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eternal Magic Developer Denies Claims It Plagiarized WoW, GW2 Among Others - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageEternal Magic Developer Denies Claims It Plagiarized WoW, GW2 Among Others - MMORPG.com News

Yesterday we reported claims that the new MMORPG Eternal Magic allegedly plagiarized portions of popular games such as Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft and SMITE. Today, 101xp has responded to those claims.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Did you really think they would come out and say "Yes, we copied the templates...." Come on now...
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Battlegrounds from GW2 and WoW, their swordsman class's animations are ripped straight from Blade and Soul and I'm 100% sure I've seen their Mage's animations somewhere.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Also, pretty funny that you report that this company is ripping off other games, yet one day later, you post a giveaway for keys for the game.
    [Deleted User]Whiteshade92foxgirlNephethgastovski1DryxalinewingoodGentrifried_Chicken
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Nyctelios said:

Albatroes said:

Did you really think they would come out and say "Yes, we copied the templates...." Come on now...

I would respect them if the did.

Some of this stuff is literally copy/paste lol
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• EnzeruEnzeru Member UncommonPosts: 6

Asch126 said:

Also, pretty funny that you report that this company is ripping off other games, yet one day later, you post a giveaway for keys for the game.

Well, it'd certainly be a good way for people to see for themselves whether or not the developer is guilty of plagiarism.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "That was .... other kids ... or something."

- Beavis and Butthead
    [Deleted User]wingood[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I thought all mmos borrowed from each other. People used to say the same thing about Wow stealing from Everquest.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I remember idiots claiming that W.A.R. ripped off WoW's art style even though Warhammer was around about 1983 and WoW copied their art style.,
    moroel
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Hariken said:

I thought all mmos borrowed from each other. People used to say the same thing about Wow stealing from Everquest.

They stole 2 lead developers, that's for sure ;)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    So has anyone actually played this? How is the pvp?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    No one seemed to care when Rift did that to WoW and WAR.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    No one seemed to care when Rift did that to WoW and WAR.
    Believe me this is some new level shit. Rift took a lot of different systems and gameplay elements from both WoW and War. But what this game did was literally stealing sound and image assets from WoW and ripping of maps, animations, battlegrounds from bunch of different popular mmos out there. It's really disgusting.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    What is so rich coming from games that did the exact same thing but cleverly hid it in a new stylish apple. second time todasy I used the word cleverly.. hmmm

Keep doing what you are doing , thumbs up !
    There is an enormous difference between making your own game from your own assets that is similar at a high level to some other game versus directly stealing assets from another game to use in your own.  The latter is what Eternal Magic is accused of.
    gervaise1kitarad[Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    "I did not hit her. I did not. Oh hai Mark, how is your sex life?"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    #1The owners don't make the game
    #2 We are accusing the game,the owners.
    #3 The people involved in this matter would be the mappers
    Obviously people who make games play games,it is very likely one of or two of their mappers played GW2 and yes did copy the map layout from that game.

This would in reality not be something the producer or managers would know unless they recognized it and allowed it to go through.
    So what should happen is the producers,managers,owners should take a look and decide if change needs to happen.So they say hmm that does look bad,fire the culprit for making that copy map and have the rest of the team make a new one.

Then i have to look at the way all mmorpg's are made,ALL game for that matter.The trees,grass,terrain textures are very much identical from game to game.The ENTIRE template of Wow was a direct copy of EQ2 so there is ALWAYS going to be some form of copying from game to game.
    How about the Yellow ? over npc heads,how many games are copying that?How many Dwarves or Orcs or Druids or Goblins look damn near identical from game to game?

Point is to accuse the DEVELOPER as whole just because you might recognize a map that some mapper made is not fair to the other employees,unless of course some other execs knew of this.

Nephethgastovski1TacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Iselin said:

Ahh the good ol' days when lies were soap-opera level stuff, and not dystopian spy novel level.

IselinwingoodkitaradTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Chinese companies that rip off other IP never ever admit to any wrong doings. Never
    [Deleted User]