Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slay Together Is An Old School MMORPG Being Made By A Single Developer - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSlay Together Is An Old School MMORPG Being Made By A Single Developer - MMORPG.com News

Nowadays it's easier than ever for aspiring game devs to create their own pieces of art. Slay Together is an example of just such a hard working developer, as its developer tackles the massive project on their own.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am very impressed by the progress of a single dev. Nice work!
    Iselinwingood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Now a days just can't invest in 1 person development team. Especially as an MMO even if he spends all his time this will never be a fully fleshed game. Good on him for doing what he loves but even bigger teams have failed
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    Arterius said:
    I have a feeling this game will launch before the kickstarted ones
    Scope creep is a terrible thing.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Lets hope the developer takes his or her vitamins and exercises regularly.
    Harikenwingood

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    To be perfectly honest, he's probably using Atavism from the Unity Asset Store. Otherwise, I don't see how all of this can be done with one developer.

Atavism is an asset that pretty much has all the main stuff in place, e.g., combat, leveling, AI, questing, housing, network / database, instancing, banking, trading, etc. It's pretty awesome, actually.

Here is the asset: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/network/atavism-2019-1-op-standard-117342 - You can download the free demo and check it out. The core features in place are meant to be edited and expanded upon.

If anyone here has a dream of making their own MMO, it really is possible. You just have to learn how to use the Unity 3D engine. No programming needed.
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Graphically it looks better than CoE.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK who he is but one name rings a bell from the past that pulled this off by himself but was only a shooter not a mmorpg.
    John Carmack did it,he made Quake but was fortunate enough to do it while working for another computer business,so basically paid by someone else to make his game.

This more than a daunting task,so my assumption is this guy is along the lines of Carmack,has a paid job and does this during and after hours.

He is aiming shallow,not a fan of shallow games but i get it.I always ask for effort,obviously for one guy this is a lot of effort.I more or less detest the multi million dollar businesses that try to sell me these shallow games,showing very little effort.

SO could this have any chance of being playable for myself,well depends on a lot.He says there will be more work on weapon base skills,that is a good thing and more character customization.
    When comes to character honing,i care very little for tattoos and sliders,that does nothing for me.I am more into the depth of the characterization,not the visuals.

"first dungeon"well again i get it,trying to attract those Wow and MHW type players,for myself,i don't like dungeons or any kind of instance.Dungeons are fine if they are non instance.

I also see mention of linear questing,not a fan of that at all.So then i have to wonder,is he sticking those yellow markers over npc heads and marking on maps where you go to do these linear quests.I am very finicky on how a mmorpg needs to be designed but my needs are simple,keep it within immersion,if the ideas ruin immersion "example instances"then it is not cool.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

fcwedd said:

To be perfectly honest, he's probably using Atavism from the Unity Asset Store. Otherwise, I don't see how all of this can be done with one developer.

Atavism is an asset that pretty much has all the main stuff in place, e.g., combat, leveling, AI, questing, housing, network / database, instancing, banking, trading, etc. It's pretty awesome, actually.

Here is the asset: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/network/atavism-2019-1-op-standard-117342 - You can download the free demo and check it out. The core features in place are meant to be edited and expanded upon.

If anyone here has a dream of making their own MMO, it really is possible. You just have to learn how to use the Unity 3D engine. No programming needed.

I have noticed a LOT of studios are using Unity as a base,like almost every one of them.I was just looking at a Nexon sort of mobile survival game and it looks amazing for a mobile game.So i looked it up and noticed using Unity.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Very nice, already looks better than Pantheon :), but i guess that's not hard to achieve :D
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    I hope he gets this running, we need something new.
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    I know it is not an MMO but wasn't it just one person whom created Stardew Valley? I put 80 hours into that game and it felt better and more fleshed out than A LOT of company backed games. If one person put that together like I think than that is impressive.

An MMO however is a lot more involved because it is never suppose to end. That is a MUCH bigger endeavor and I don't see that ending well unless he decides to never sleep or have any form of a life.

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 544
    DMKano said:
    This is already far better than Astellia
    Woooooooow
  • waterboy117waterboy117 Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    This actually look good.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's one of those type of games that are going to be good but takes along time between updates. If you buy the owl the guy eats for one more day. Or already has a main job and does this on the side.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    edited October 2019
    He will finish the game by him self faster and with far more content/ replay-ability than Star Citizen!
    thighhighsViper482

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    One person did this ? I am constantly amazed at what people can achieve these days with engines they buy. In a lot of ways the really creative people have so many tools to work with and realise their vision. Even if it is a modest vision have to give this guy credit for what he has done so far.

Notice we tend to be more forgiving to a small team or as in this case a one person effort than we would to a blown out studio with a lot of employees. We expect more from the latter and rightly so as they have a larger budget and should reflect that budget in the product they put out. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

• PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    I remember playing this on release. It was only one map and you had waves of enemies. So the main goal was to reach highscoore. I'm surprised it turned out to be MMORPG. Might check out someday when it's out of early access.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    This actually look good.
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    edited October 2019

Wizardry said:

fcwedd said:

I have noticed a LOT of studios are using Unity as a base,like almost every one of them.I was just looking at a Nexon sort of mobile survival game and it looks amazing for a mobile game.So i looked it up and noticed using Unity.

Oh ya. It's a great engine. It's just as good (maybe even better) than any other engine on the market (UE / Cry). It gets it's bad rep due to all of the asset-flipping scams, as some people will buy a pre-made templates from the Asset Store, change nothing at all or very little, and then sell it via Steam.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    is this really an MMO ?
    i checked some video, looks like a server based wave monster killing game
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    DMKano said:
    This is already far better than Astellia
    Coincidentally, there's also another one-man MMO out there called Astaria - not to be confused with Astellia - that I saw a couple months back.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Wasn't Fallen Earth made by one guy? That was a much better mmorpg than any of the mmos released in the last decade in my opinion.