Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike O'Brien Leaving ArenaNet To Form New Studio - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMike O'Brien Leaving ArenaNet To Form New Studio - MMORPG.com

Mike O'Brien, President of ArenaNet, announced this afternoon via a post on the Guild Wars 2 website that he will be leaving ArenaNet to start a new studio with "some of [his] friends." While the post doesn't mention who will be stepping into O'Brien's role as President, it does mention Game Direction Mike Zadorojny will take one a "larger leadership role."

Read the full story here

Comments

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Everybody is abandoning ship. How many presidents have come and gone now?
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Sometimes you gotta get out of the sinking ship when it becomes very clear it lost its course.
    GorweScellownecrolock
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    That's the last of the three original founders. It's the end of an era, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.
    KyleranwingoodbcbullyPhrydoomexGorwegastovski1alkarionlognecrolockmazut

Aeander said:

That's the last of the three original founders. It's the end of an era, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

Here's hoping ManaWorks will do well at least, the members shown on their site are almost all developers that worked in GW1 and 2
    edited October 2019
    Asch126 said:

Aeander said:

Here's hoping ManaWorks will do well at least, the members shown on their site are almost all developers that worked in GW1 and 2
    Here's hoping they lean more towards the Guild Wars 1.

But considering how much Guild Wars 1 development talent moved over to Undead Labs and made the concentrated mediocrity that is State of Decay.... I won't hold my breath.
    Nepheth
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited October 2019
    Mike is not the only one who left the company. 8 original Guild Wars developers left at the same time. And like it says on the op , they created their own company called ManaWorks. I'm quite excited for this new company tbh. I hope they can develop a new corpg or mmorpg that can live up to the original Guild Wars legacy.
    AeanderThupliPhrygastovski1
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Guess we'll be seeing a new kickstarter in 6 months! woo.
    AwakenHDAeanderRich84
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sounds like NCSoft may be dropping the hammer soon.

[Deleted User]bcbullygastovski1necrolock

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2019
    Wasn't this the game to re write the paradigm?
    [Deleted User]bcbully
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited October 2019
    It all makes sense now!

If MO'Bran was leaving alone it would be bad.
    Having so many senior developers leaving Anet to join him is fubar.
    Of course NCShaft is renown for sharing the same philosophy and values as Anet with regards to ethics and all things money.So what could go wrong?
    There goes your GW3.Probably a optional sub sometime within the next 12 months and maintenance mode within 24 to 28 months.It's still a lot of time and there's a whole saga yet to be played so no need to panic.
    Aren't we even more excited about Saga now?

From what I understand,and I still may be wrong,the "beef" with NCboss that lead to half the company getting  fired,had much to do with Anet wanting to develop new technology in order to advance the GW series and also build new games,while the bank wanted to milk the current version of GW2 for as much as possible and invest little to nothing on new tech or anything as radical and anarchistic  as that.

Time to finish up all the uncompleted alts and stories and achivos and slowly start packing. NCSaga is too much $$$$$ for my remaining intellect's composure.
    The_Kodell
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    I'm amazed this game is still around, just like Runes of Magic. Undead MMORPGs. Wow killer of 2012... How stupid I was. GG Anet, let me avoid every shit wherever names of your devs appear.
    Aeanderbcbully
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I still enjoy playing GW1 over GW2 any day.
    nfacatriusGorwenecrolockRueTheWhirl
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is becoming an epidemic,employees leaving to start new studios.
    I knew a long time ago why but seeing it so often now really says it must be too easy and too cheap to just throw a game together and pan a A game off as AA or AAA.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2019
    Still waiting for this game to release. Good luck though.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2019
    Guild Wars, the original was still the best Guild Wars 2 to me is just a game i've tried many times to get into, just can't get into it the game doesn't seem at all like it could be, though there are amazing aspects such as music, and stuff it just doesn't have the feeling GW1 had to me.
    PhrykitaradGorwegastovski1necrolock
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Well... not disappointed to see the usual forum salt!

I can give another perspective though. I worked for over a decade at a game company which was/is producing one of the big console franchises on the market.  We also had a bit of a crisis at one point, where many of the top people - including the CEO, one director, and several leads - all left at the same time.  Things had been going badly with the new version of the game, and it was part of a larger shakeup.

I was also quite pessimistic about things, and left as well (which I don't regret). I was bitter, and was sure that the game and the future of the studio was in jeopardy.

To my surprise a year later though, the game released with some big changes, and started doing very well. The studio started growing, and then a couple years later the next release was even better.

I've thought about this a lot, and feel that in this case, and maybe in the case of GW2, it can be very healthy to get some of the old developers out of the company and get fresh perspectives on things. When you work on a game series for a long time, certain things get stuck in your mind as unchangeable, and perhaps now is the time for people within Anet who have a fresh take on things to get their chance.

I'm optimistic, I guess is what I'm saying. It's very likely this could be a healthy change.
    KyleranUnbinoAsch126Ilayanecrolockbenaniel
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I too loved Guildwars 1 much more than 2 although they are very different games but I would have preferred if they had made 2 like 1.
    GorweAeander

• dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

nothing good last 4eva.......so it is what it is i guess
    Kyleran
    gammer 4 life
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited October 2019

Arthasm said:

I'm amazed this game is still around, just like Runes of Magic. Undead MMORPGs. Wow killer of 2012... How stupid I was. GG Anet, let me avoid every shit wherever names of your devs appear.

yea, but then, it wasn't arena net who claimed they will kill WoW. that was... let's say "your kind"...
    [Deleted User]Asch126

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    This is just normal game dev patterns though.

Publishers have set themselves up with a system where they keep developers overworked and unpaid... to the point that developers are likely to get fed up enough to quit and start their own companies.  That experiment to make new IP, that eventually ends up getting bought out by publishers to repeat the pattern.  (That have the end result of the risk of creating new IP is a burden that developers pay for).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Wasn't this the game to re write the paradigm?

No trinity! No raids! No mounts! All skill!!!

*adds healers, tankier builds, raids, mounts and reduce the skill so much you could do everything asleep*

Oops.
    GeezerGamer
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Nepheth said:

Mike is not the only one who left the company. 8 original Guild Wars developers left at the same time. And like it says on the op , they created their own company called ManaWorks. I'm quite excited for this new company tbh. I hope they can develop a new corpg or mmorpg that can live up to the original Guild Wars legacy.

Honestly. What is Guild Wars legacy ?
    Guild Wars 1, was fantastic groundbreaking game. Guild Wars 2 promised to revolutionize MMO, and it did in a way - by simplifying and trivializing it to the point it was unrecognizable. And than for years it did nothing to improve, but kept pushing mediocrity

If this was the trajectory. I really dont want to see their next project...
    Sensai[Deleted User]

"

Rockard said:

It all makes sense now!

If MO'Bran was leaving alone it would be bad.
    Having so many senior developers leaving Anet to join him is fubar.
    Of course NCShaft is renown for sharing the same philosophy and values as Anet with regards to ethics and all things money.So what could go wrong?
    There goes your GW3.Probably a optional sub sometime within the next 12 months and maintenance mode within 24 to 28 months.It's still a lot of time and there's a whole saga yet to be played so no need to panic.
    Aren't we even more excited about Saga now?

From what I understand,and I still may be wrong,the "beef" with NCboss that lead to half the company getting  fired,had much to do with Anet wanting to develop new technology in order to advance the GW series and also build new games,while the bank wanted to milk the current version of GW2 for as much as possible and invest little to nothing on new tech or anything as radical and anarchistic  as that.

Time to finish up all the uncompleted alts and stories and achivos and slowly start packing. NCSaga is too much $$$$$ for my remaining intellect's composure.

Stop reading clickbaity articles from Kotaku and actually research what happened.
    Kyleran
    edited October 2019

Nepheth said:

Honestly. What is Guild Wars legacy ?
    Guild Wars 1, was fantastic groundbreaking game. Guild Wars 2 promised to revolutionize MMO, and it did in a way - by simplifying and trivializing it to the point it was unrecognizable. And than for years it did nothing to improve, but kept pushing mediocrity

If this was the trajectory. I really dont want to see their next project...
    Guild Wars 1 was, in my opinion, the greatest and most unique online game ever made.

But to say it had a legacy might be... factually inaccurate, because nothing else (not even its own sequel) emulates it.

And I think that the reason for that is that everything that made Guild Wars work was only possible in a fully instanced world. And because of mediocre grinders like Vindictus, Dragon Nest, Soulworker, etc., instances have an unfortunate dirty connotation. Words like "instanced" and "linear," despite being associated with some serious masterpieces, have become the game design equivalent of racial slurs as we move further into repetitive, vapid open worlds full of busywork and not much else.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    he is responsible of the death of GW2

manawork? another studio to blacklist