Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My opinion on delay.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
The world is barely started. Like everyone here, I'm thinking whats the hold up ?

Brads big selling point seem to be in heavy class design, 
He likes to offer many choices for character building. This allows the player to build themselves up how they see fit, so they can bring something valuable to a group. This can potently make every group a different experience.

In my opinion Vanguard classes had NOTHING similar to each other.  Every mmorpg tries, but Brad seems to be the master of it.  Visionary Realms is trying to out do Vanguard in this respect. 

Maybe it's my imagination running wild, but it also seems the player has to find abilities in the world.  More things to make themselves unique...... Adding such abilities is as simple as plop the item on the ground.  The harder part is to make them work and balance, all 400 of them.   You don't need the world for that !

This is a "very complicated puzzle" and more time needs spent than any other mmorpg.

People are making assumptions of what the "Vision" is.  They think the vision is easy.  They think they already know !!!..... Maybe I'm wrong too, I'm not Brad !!!! 

Lets hope building the world comes easy when it's time,
MAYBE the world is out sourced to another team, and is 10%,20%, 30%, 70% done and is kept secret.  MAYBE Brad put his reliance and faith in others to do so, and doesn't even care.... who knows ?

My friend has a bat shit crazy sister.... It's impossible to out guess her. 
Post edited by delete5230 on

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2019
    You are over thinking this. MMORPGs are large scale, expensive and difficult to make endeavours.

The Pantheon team (along with most other indie studios) lack the financial resources to bring such games quickly (or if ever) to market, at least not as promised.

Even when there's plenty of money to go around (i.e. SC) most of these teams are trying to deliver features that IMO outstretch their current resource capabilities.

Hence they become "the song that never ends."

Post edited by Kyleran on
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    You are over thinking this. MMORPGs are large scale, expensive and difficult to make endeavours.

The Pantheon team (along with most other indie studios) lack the financial resources to bring such games quickly (or if ever) to market, at least not as promised.

Even when there's plenty of money to go around (i.e. SC) most of these teams are trying to deliver features that IMO outstretch their current resource capabilities.

I don't think "I'm" over thinking it. 
    "They" maybe over stretching themselves.

Like your saying expensive and difficult to make, that's a given.
    However that's true for any mmorpg endeavor that will happen in the future.

This is our best shot, maybe our last shot... the more expensive the less chance of a Triple A. 
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    What delay?  They've said they aren't giving dates.  So if dates aren't given how can there be any delay?
    delete5230Kyleran
    Geeky said:
    What delay?  They've said they aren't giving dates.  So if dates aren't given how can there be any delay?
    Your right, delay maybe not the best word, didn't think too deeply into it.... You win the prize for catching it.

Better yet they maybe on or ahead of target...many of us are assuming all kinds of stuff. 

Let them work.
    edited October 2019
    Kyleran said:

This is our best shot, maybe our last shot... the more expensive the less chance of a Triple A. 
    So you're saying you are under thinking it? 

Or perhaps not thinking?

Okay....err, what was the question again?

;)
    AmatheMrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Geeky said:
    "If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
    have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

- Pink Floyd

Sorry that somehow reminded me of that. Carry on. Nothing to see. Amathe has low blood sugar. 
    lotrloreKyleranGladDogkitaradMrMelGibsonTindale111

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555
    Amathe said:
    Geeky said:
    "If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
    have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

- Pink Floyd

Sorry that somehow reminded me of that. Carry on. Nothing to see. Amathe has low blood sugar. 
    That was awesome.
    KyleranGladDog
    So I guess I did something really wrong with this post ?
    Not at all, we are just all lost in the weeds.

Cheers.

;)

edited October 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Not at all, we are just all lost in the weeds.

Cheers.

;)
    A...

Just band me already.
    Whoa, let's not get carried away, wasn't my intent to work you up into a frenzy.

I'll go now. 

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Kyleran said:

I don't mean to sound insensitive... but are you dying?

As much as I agree that MMO's are in a depressing state at this point in time, I sincerely doubt it will remain that way.. And if you build this game up in your mind the way you are you are very likely to be disappointed.

This is an indie team trying to bring back "The golden age" of MMO's, community, adventure, teamwork all the stuff that we are supposedly missing in our modern MMO's. But can they really deliver? 

You think they are putting all this effort into highly unique classes with deep customization.. 
    They are launching with 12 classes, do you think that is within the realm of possibilities for them?
    Do you think they are capable of balancing 12 classes at all?  They have there work cut out for them. 

I would dial down my expectations. I also hope the game is great, I am just not pinning all my hopes and dreams on an indie development team.

• bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    one day someone bet delete he couldnt refrain from posting for an entire week.  I believe he met that quota. 

could he keep it up until the game launches?

The world may never know Mr. Owl.
    Amathe
    edited October 2019
    bng28 said:
    one day someone bet delete he couldnt refrain from posting for an entire week.  I believe he met that quota. 

could he keep it up until the game launches?

The world may never know Mr. Owl.
    Where would the fun be in that?

Forums are for discussing things, whatever people like,  but require a pretty thick skin sometimes.

Doesn't excuse that fact sometime folks overstep their bounds, including me. He wasn't wrong, I was acting like one.  :)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    lotrlore said:
    That was awesome.
    Thank you. Just trying to keep things light and lively. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited October 2019
    All this has happened before and will happen again.

You are WAY over thinking Pantheon.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Unique classes only exist in alpha and beta tests and to a much lesser extent in early release.  It doesn't take long for all the flavor to be removed in the name of class balance. 
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    centkin said:
    Unique classes only exist in alpha and beta tests and to a much lesser extent in early release.  It doesn't take long for all the flavor to be removed in the name of class balance. 

They existed in EQ at least at the time I left around the SoV  expansion.  No reason for classes to be balance in a group centric game (they just need an important group role).  Of course its probably different in PvP and solo style MMORPGs.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I guess Delete got deleted. I always thought his name was somewhat prophetic.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    curious to know how this happened.  
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    As much as I want to play Pantheon, I have to admit you guys are killing my interest in it with all the speculation, the "it's never going to come out" talk, and so forth. I know the posts won't change, so I guess I will have to read less Pantheon posts.
    As much as I want to play Pantheon, I have to admit you guys are killing my interest in it with all the speculation, the "it's never going to come out" talk, and so forth. I know the posts won't change, so I guess I will have to read less Pantheon posts.
    Well if youre reading anything started by Delete, then i advise you to not.  His threads spark up a lot of haphazard negativity
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    bng28 said:
    Tiller said:
    I'm curious also.  Curious to the point of looking through Delete's recent posts.  I didn't see anything to warrant a ban, but it could have been something that was removed from his comments or a PM.  He's never seemed the type to do something to get himself banned.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    bng28 said:
    Tiller said:
    I'm curious also.  Curious to the point of looking through Delete's recent posts.  I didn't see anything to warrant a ban, but it could have been something that was removed from his comments or a PM.  He's never seemed the type to do something to get himself banned.

yeah he certainly rambled on but i dont think any of it warranted a ban either.  interesting.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Mendel said:
    bng28 said:
    Tiller said:

He posts on lots of forums here and sometimes get carried away. He also been banned before and it appears to be for the same behavior on the most part. I have noticed they do it quicker now. I hope its only a temp ban again as his post are at times entertaining.
    Mendel said:
    bng28 said:
    Tiller said:

Err, it was his reply to one of my posts where he uncharacteristically went off on me and told the mods to go ahead and ban him. 

Hopefully it will be for only a short time.