Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raph Koster, Ultima Online And Star Wars Galaxies Designer, Has Raised $2.7M Towards New MMORPG - M

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageRaph Koster, Ultima Online And Star Wars Galaxies Designer, Has Raised $2.7M Towards New MMORPG - MMORPG.com News

Raph Koster is making a new MMO, and he's already raised quite a bit of seed money to do so. The Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies designer has started Playable Worlds, a new game company, to create the next great sandbox MMORPG.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It's good they didn't try to raise it through Kickstarter or some other player funded method (maybe that's a thing down the line for them but at least they are disclosing the initial funding). Excited to see what this turns into.
    Ozmodanitchmonnecrolock
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    and here we go again
    NorseGod
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    Sounds like separate game modes with a hub.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:

I so wish we could just go back to announcement when game is beta worthy (basically complete) and 3 months from launch.

I really couldn't care less for 5 years of development updates about changing a texture color from magenta to fuchsia and all that tiring bullshit.
    So ignore the trivial update shit. I do.

A new gaming studio starting up with a well-known vet at the helm talking about doing an MMO is still industry news and fits this site's news stream better than 90% of what they cover these days.

At least Raph is not asking for $ from the gaming public for pre-sales, pardon me, donations, 7-10 years ahead of release... at least not yet.
    [Deleted User]kitaradTacticalZombehnatpickKyleranPalebanetweedledumb99Valdheim
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2019

Iselin said:

DMKano said:

I so wish we could just go back to announcement when game is beta worthy (basically complete) and 3 months from launch.

I really couldn't care less for 5 years of development updates about changing a texture color from magenta to fuchsia and all that tiring bullshit.

(snip) At least Raph is not asking for $ from the gaming public for pre-sales, pardon me, donations, 7-10 years ahead of release... at least not yet.

Yet.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]Slapshot1188RoinKyleranHatefull
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Industry investors means they want to see their investment doubled or tripled. That doesnt leave much room for a good, or fair gaming experience for the gaming audience first and foremost. This oozes themepark, battle royale, microtransaction pit.
    [Deleted User]OzmodanPhry
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I take it he is no longer consulting with ArtCraft for Crowfall now.
    BruceYeeKyleranNorseGod
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Great!  Only 270 million or so left to go!
    Ozmodan
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    What a bunch of cynical people. I thought surely a new sandbox mmo by the guy who pushed the genre in new and exciting places would garner some level of positivity. Nope.

Of course the waiting game sucks, but whens the last time we had an industry giant return to the mmorpg fold? He’s an idea guy who learns from the past (read some of his pieces on Ultima Online or SWG) and can break down and rationalize complex systems.

Finally, the game that is described is what many many non-hardcore pvp gamers have wanted in a sandbox mmorpg. However all this pans out, I’ll maintain cautious optimism.
    OzmodanpantaroAlomarcheebakjempffitchmontweedledumb99
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It's strange to me that legends of the mmorpg space like Raph Koster and Brad McQuaid choose, or find it necessary, to fund raise as an indie developer instead of drawing support from some big backer who will finance the project. 
    OzmodangunklackerPanzerbeorne39Palebane

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I consider Raph to be one of the few "MMO old guard" who could actually design a great MMO.

Of course, that means "great for me" ! :)

SWG's original design has never been equalled, unfortunately it was butchered after the first 3 years, but that's an old story now.
    OzmodanaRtFuLThinGPhryHatefullitchmon
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I agree with DMKano, this seems to be a veiled starting point to lure "investors" to start donating money, knowing everyone is starved and anxious for something new. Get your business model in place (money... plan....ect....)produce a product, then sell it!!
    Ozmodangunklacker[Deleted User]
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'd love to see another game from RK.  Two primary concerns initially jump out at me.
    • Initial funding $2.7 million.  Good start, but unless they have another $25 million hidden somewhere, don't bother me.  Don't brag about a drop in the bucket, show us the full bucket.
    • Funded by an ESports venture.  So, how's this game going to go against the money men and make an MMORPG instead of another ESports game?  This may be the real challenge this game might face.
    Count me as interested, but hesitant.  Rather, I will be hesitantly interested in about 7 years.

[Deleted User]PhryPalebane

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2019
    Amathe said:
    It's strange to me that legends of the mmorpg space like Ralph Koster and Brad McQuaid choose, or find it necessary, to fund raise as an indie developer instead of drawing support from some big backer who will finance the project. 
    It is proof of uncertainty,they really have little confidence in themselves and/or the market.It is more like,ok if someone or people are willing to give me money,i'll do it sure ,why not.

I don't like vague blanket statements,sure everyone uses them because it saves time and space,i know i get it.However i would need to know why anyone thinks Mr.Koster could design a good game,tell me a couple systems he has designed before that was well done.

I do not consider altaholic designs good at all,terrible in fact.I do not consider a rpg good if it is on rails,linear.I do not consider giving xp for mindless non skill related quests as being good.So yeah give me an example that this guys knows what he  is doing.

Even Brad,i don't mind the guy at all,but so far the past has shown me that he sticks to old ways that were never that good or even good at all.What i accepted early year was fine because we were breaking new ground with online gaming and mmo's,however over time i expect improvements new and unique ideas that make sense.New ideas like automated dungeon finders are NOT good ideas,terrible ideas and make no sense,immersion breaking,so instead of getting better,mmo's have been getting worse.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited October 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I will care in about 6 years.
    anemoKyleranHatefull
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Nyctelios said:
    Borluc said:
    What a bunch of cynical people. I thought surely a new sandbox mmo by the guy who pushed the genre in new and exciting places would garner some level of positivity. Nope.

Of course the waiting game sucks, but whens the last time we had an industry giant return to the mmorpg fold? He’s an idea guy who learns from the past (read some of his pieces on Ultima Online or SWG) and can break down and rationalize complex systems.

Finally, the game that is described is what many many non-hardcore pvp gamers have wanted in a sandbox mmorpg. However all this pans out, I’ll maintain cautious optimism.
    But those games also had major flaws on many of its core mechanics that led me scratching my head when I played them.

I hope they pull the "old school" way of weaving complex systems without the "old school" design flaws that came with them.
    Nothing is perfect. You hope the pros outweigh the cons and the game is fun enough to play it for a long time.
    [Deleted User]cheebaKyleran
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Hopefully I am still alive by the time they release a game.
    AmathePhryKyleranKrematoryTokken
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    Celcius said:
    Hopefully I am still alive by the time they release a game.
    I hope you are too!
    Amathe[Deleted User]
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    In the late 90's and early 2000's, 2.7 million could have developed a new MMO.

At current market rates, 2.7 million might support a tiny team for four to six months, especially if they run it out of one of the economic shithole hellscapes like Seattle, or any major city in California.

Cool news and all, but it means nothing without two more digits behind that figure.
    [Deleted User]OzmodanOyjordPhryKyleran
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Amathe said:
    It's strange to me that legends of the mmorpg space like Raph Koster and Brad McQuaid choose, or find it necessary, to fund raise as an indie developer instead of drawing support from some big backer who will finance the project. 
    Brad failed with Vanguard (though in many ways it was a good game), and Raph hasn't been a core part of a development team for a long time, to my knowledge. He consulted on Crowfall, but was never a decision maker.

Regardless, publishers have been burned too many times to invest big money on an MMO, no matter who is making it. They are too expensive and take too long to make, without a good track record regarding the return on investment.

The only way it is going to turn is for indie developers to push the boundaries in ways that can recapture the fanbase and revitalize the industry. Game companies should be looking to make smaller, more focused games for less money and time investment. If the game is fun, people will pay for it and they can add to it later. Something like Artcraft's Artisan Engine could be a way to do that. So much of MMO development involves building the tools needed to build the content.
    FrykkaOzmodan
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Tiller said:

Sounds like separate game modes with a hub.

While you may be right, I don't see anything mentioned that leads to that conclusion.
    ???

OzmodanKyleran

Let's party like it is 1863!

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I wish them well and hope it is amazing. I won't be pre-ordering, investing, buying a pass, etc. until it is released to rave reviews....That's the new standard I'm applying to anything in the gaming space at this point.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited October 2019
    $2.7m budget
    Let's assume a 6 person development team
    Let's assume $500k for hardware and software
    Let's assume a 5 year development cycle
    That's a yearly salary of $73,000 per person, per year to develop a video game

I am sure there are lots of things I don't know about and I pulled numbers completely out of my rear here... but come on. $2.7m isn't enough to make a game?
    Ozmodan
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Amathe said:
    You have to thank both Richard Garriott (Tabula Rasa) and Brad McQuaid (Vangard: Saga of Heroes) for that.
    Their ego's inflated beyond idiocy during those game's development, where they squandered millions of dollars of investment money, massive delays and still didn't manage to deliver a properly working finished product.
    Especially Richard Garriott was a real piece of work, that was more busy getting his arse into space and even tried to make NCSoft pay for it under the disguise of a PR campaign for Tabula Rasa. lol /Facepalm

Tabula Rasa didn't even last two years, before NCSoft put it out of its misery.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes had to be rescued by SOE at that time, Brad was kicked out (drug problems) and it was SOE devs that somewhat managed to salvage the game and make it work properly at least after lots of effort (have to give SOE props for that at least!). But it was too late and the game never recovered, not even under the All Access Pass at the time.