Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that Star Wars is a cheap / pathetic brand, do you think we'll see another Star Wars MMORPG?

fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
Now that Star Wars is a cheap / pathetic brand, do you think we'll see another Star Wars MMORPG?

pantarosumdumguy1foppoteeCelciusAgent_JosephHengistMaurgrimmaskedweaseldelete5230mmolouand 2 others.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited October 2019
    No, it's gone for now. Maybe in 20 years there will be a a great MMORPG rival, but for now they won't even allow a decent Star Wars RPG experience much less an MMO.

Luckily we have many versions of the SWG emulators to play, and SW combine if you are looking for a real role playing experience were you aren't forced to play an ugly force wielding human hero.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Sad :(

I've never seen such a prestigious brand fall so hard.

There are countless videos like this, as well as an endless supply of Star Wars hate vids via YouTube. It's so crazy.

BruceYee
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited October 2019
    Box office success does not mean a brand is doing well.  Their toys and merchandise from the new films does not sell for crap while the old stuff that is remade sells like hotcakes...not good for the billions Disney put out for Star Wars.  But it is their own fault.  Crap stories do not sit long in peoples minds.  Bad characters do not make people want those toys and killing off the characters people did like does not build up a new generation of buyers.
    CaffynatedHatefullGormogon
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited October 2019
    I don't, but that's because MMOs as a genre have no future for at least another 5 years, and probably longer.

As long as the average MMO dev cycle is substantially longer, riskier, and more costly than the rest of the industry, new MMOs are going to be a rarity.

Also, I don't care. Star Wars hasn't been truly relevant for a long time, and TLJ was the cinematic version of Star Wars shitting its pants on the big screen for three hours. And it isn't going to get better under the direction of RJ or Dumb B. Weiss and Dumber Begnioff.
    Arterius said:
    fcwedd said:

There are countless videos like this, as well as an endless supply of Star Wars hate vids via YouTube. It's so crazy.

I mean people hated TLJ and the hate went crazy. TLJ sucked but it wasn't bad as the prequel. The main difference is social media. Can you imagine the hate if The Phantom Menace had come out today. Holy crap it would have been insane. Way worse then TLJ ever got. As someone who works as a writer for TV I will tell you this don't let the haters make you think SW is a lesser brand. I can tell you that Disney isn't sweating it. Most of the time they are in the minority. Look at Captain Marvel and the hate that movie got before release. Then bam more then a billion dillors
    Disney is shitting it pants cause it lied on its accounting.
    Arterius said:
    Horusra said:
    Arterius said:
    fcwedd said:

I mean people hated TLJ and the hate went crazy. TLJ sucked but it wasn't bad as the prequel. The main difference is social media. Can you imagine the hate if The Phantom Menace had come out today. Holy crap it would have been insane. Way worse then TLJ ever got. As someone who works as a writer for TV I will tell you this don't let the haters make you think SW is a lesser brand. I can tell you that Disney isn't sweating it. Most of the time they are in the minority. Look at Captain Marvel and the hate that movie got before release. Then bam more then a billion dillors
    Disney is shitting it pants cause it lied on its accounting.
    That was a story that went no where. People just like to hate on the mouse. Also I would be stunned if that were true anyway. The person who claimed that information was a disgruntled employee. Why believe her words? 

SEC thinks they have something.  They do not waste time and possibly disrupt the market without cause.  They have asked for information from Disney and conducted interviews.  Something they do not often do.

mmolou
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Star Wars has never been a premium brand... Lucas pretty much gave the license to whom ever to do what ever... As long as it was not adult entertainment... Now i agree that Disney have over saturated the market somewhat but Star Wars is still the hottest of cakes in kids media, Clone Wars, Rebels and even the new Resistance did really well. The movies did not do bad and many people really liked them. 

But money is not what it used to be and it is looking even bleaker going forward... So toys ales are down. So ofc the "classic stuff" sells better as that is mostly bought by adults to collect... But here is the nugget... Clone wards stuff sells like hot cakes as does Rebels... And they are both part of the "cheap brand"

Disney do not worry... Star wars is a enduring brand. 
    TalaharTinkerBellCommando

This have been a good conversation

Arterius said:
    Horusra said:
    Box office success does not mean a brand is doing well.  Their toys and merchandise from the new films does not sell for crap while the old stuff that is remade sells like hotcakes...not good for the billions Disney put out for Star Wars.  But it is their own fault.  Crap stories do not still long in peoples minds.  Bad characters do not make people want those toys and killing off the characters people did like does not build up a new generation of buyers.
    people also don't buy toys like they used to.
    Yeah kids don't care about toys as much, they should focus their efforts on collectors.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

tawess said:
    Star Wars has never been a premium brand... Lucas pretty much gave the license to whom ever to do what ever... As long as it was not adult entertainment... Now i agree that Disney have over saturated the market somewhat but Star Wars is still the hottest of cakes in kids media, Clone Wars, Rebels and even the new Resistance did really well. The movies did not do bad and many people really liked them. 

But money is not what it used to be and it is looking even bleaker going forward... So toys ales are down. So ofc the "classic stuff" sells better as that is mostly bought by adults to collect... But here is the nugget... Clone wards stuff sells like hot cakes as does Rebels... And they are both part of the "cheap brand"

Disney do not worry... Star wars is a enduring brand. 
    I  have high hopes for The Mandolorian being good. I think they need to do more stories about unknowns in the Star wars universe.
    HatefullTinkerBellCommando
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Horusra said:
    Box office success does not mean a brand is doing well.  Their toys and merchandise from the new films does not sell for crap while the old stuff that is remade sells like hotcakes...not good for the billions Disney put out for Star Wars.  But it is their own fault.  Crap stories do not sit long in peoples minds.  Bad characters do not make people want those toys and killing off the characters people did like does not build up a new generation of buyers.
    and you know the funny thing, if disney was not cheap and bought also the extended universe and made films from then, most then likelythey would be getting a hell a lot of money, but now, I doubt the old people who liked star wars like the new films, people today will just watch the film says cool flashy FX, then wait for the next marvel film
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • sarbonnsarbonn Member UncommonPosts: 119
    If they can profit off of it, they'll make an MMO. Their only problem right now is there's currently a Star Wars MMO already on the market. They're not happy competing against themselves.
    sumdumguy1
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I believe there will be. There have been SW games since I played one at an arcade in the early 1980s. Not a mmorpg, no, but I don't think they will leave the mmorpg market.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Horusra said:
    and you know the funny thing, if disney was not cheap and bought also the extended universe and made films from then, most then likelythey would be getting a hell a lot of money, but now, I doubt the old people who liked star wars like the new films, people today will just watch the film says cool flashy FX, then wait for the next marvel film
    The conspiracy theory is that Lucas still gets residuals from the usage of the original characters  and that is why Disney wanted them gone and nothing to very little from the original movies in the Galaxy Edge parks.  
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I expect a new Multiplayer Star Wars title (not Battlefront 3) released some time between Episode 9 and 2022 (when the next movie releases).
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    It will still be quite some years before the Star Wars IP can be considered garbage.

As long as there are still people alive who encountered the original trilogy whilst they were kids, there will remain that sense of wonder and excitement about the IP. I wasn't alive when the films were released, but I can still vividly remember watching them on TV over Christmas when I was about 5 (and then rewatching them every month afterwards as we taped them on VHS). That sense of excitement and wonder has never left me, so even if Disney continue to produce terrible SW films for the next 20 years, I'll remain a massive fan and will still want to play games in that universe.

But will there be another MMORPG?

Whilst EA retain the exclusive license to the IP, no. EA are the current roadblock, and EA are terrible at making games. SWTOR isn't even an MMO (if you can convince me how a player cap of 75 is massively multiplayer, I'll change my mind....).

Even if you removed the roadblock of EA, it's still a risky venture. Disney are shitting all over the IP, so the new generation of kids are not growing up with that attachment to the universe unless their parents are specifically instilling it. MMOs are also very hard to make, so adding on an expensive license makes it very expensive to build. That means being risk-adverse, which means another stagnant clone that goes nowhere.

That said, if the MMO industry can pull itself out of it's stagnant period and start showing good growth and creativity again, then you can bet some excited developer is going to try and get the SW license and put it to good use.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There are a lot of people getting into Star Wars these days that weren't even born when the first 6 movies released. They're probably the same crowd that thinks loot boxes in games are normal and don't know what the fuss is all about.

Saying it's a cheap and pathetic brand is definitely an old foggy perspective.
    [Deleted User]Sovrath[Deleted User]Hatefull
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    I like the new movies. Nothing cheap to me.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]VengeSunsoarChicagoCubCaffynatedHatefullTinkerBellCommando
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I loved Rogue One.
    Scot[Deleted User]GorweHatefullcowhead
    Chamber of Chains
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Just play SWG like a normal person.
    ScotmmolouNorseGod
  • ZiebaaZiebaa Member UncommonPosts: 19
    DMKano said:
    Unpopular opinion

Star wars was never all that great.

Empire strikes back and rogue one were the exceptions.

The rest- way overblown 
    Rogue one was good? Good filler story yea but the fact they never even stayed true to the originals and failed to simply put bothans in the movie somehow. Big F up on them for forgetting a big part of how the plans even got to them in the first place
    Viper482DaranarAeander
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    DMKano said:
    Unpopular opinion

The rest- way overblown 
    Come on now, your getting redunkulous . like saying Wizzard of Oz is overblown...
    Viper482Hatefull
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    The Star Wars movie franchise f'ed up when they started thinking they were bigger than the magic that happened with the original story line.

The prequels were so bad, I don't even want to revisit. The sequel trilogy started as a safe decent return but by the second movie the idiot director vandalized the brand (again). Unless they approach this final movie as a "Ha ha, JUST KIDDING!" there's no coming back.

The good part is there's so much room to fix things using other mediums. There needs to be another epic Jedi single player game. There needs to be another EPIC MMORPG. There needs to be a well thought out SERIES that properly delves into what happened after Return of the Jedi.
    Viper482
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2019
    DMKano said:
    Unpopular opinion

The rest- way overblown 
    The original in '77 was the start of big budget "B" movies (which sounds like an oxymoron) and was followed 4 years later by Raiders of the Lost Ark as another big budget "B" movie.

Those started the trend that continues to this day (see every summer's movie line-up, all the superhero movies, etc.)

"B" movies as the term was originally used were mostly low-budget adventure films made for the audience to have fun and not take them too seriously. What Lucas did in making them big budget films with top of the line effects was a brand new thing in the early '80s.

They were never meant to be great, just fun. 
    Viper482[Deleted User]Mendelmmolou
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    DMKano said:
    Unpopular opinion

The rest- way overblown 
    I know where you are coming from.

Despite the fact that I'm a big Star Wars fan, I'm not blind. George Lucas cannot write dialogue. He (and the writers he employed in the past) just seem to be terrible at it! It doesn't even get better over the years, it stays mediocre the whole time. Then the actual story.....yeh, it's pretty basic, doesn't even have that many twists in it.

But, they're kids films. And kids films will never be great when viewed for the first time as an adult.

What Star Wars did was blow childrens minds with alien landscapes and creatures.

Kids don't have a huge knowledgebase, they won't have read 100s of books or seen a huge amount of films (in comparison to adults). Star Wars is a great introduction into sci-fi, it rapidly expands the concepts of what is possible in fiction. It is that wonder, that delight, that Star Wars is excellent at and that is why it captured the minds and hearts of so many kids.

But if you're an adult when you first watch them and already have a good knowledgebase to work from, then Star Wars can't help but feel primitive and derivative.

The modern comparison is Harry Potter.

If you read / watched Harry Potter for the first time as a child, then it likely seems like an amazing world and concept and captures your imagination. It jumps you from the usual silly/childish stuff you've encountered and shoves you into a wider, more mature world whilst still being appropriate for children.

However, if you come to the IP as an adult (like I did) with a good knowledgebase, then Harry Potter can't help but feel naive, immature and derivative. I mean, a series of books about a bunch of geeky kids going to school, playing with wands and very occasionally, fighting a based-on-real-life monster.....boring! If you've already read LotR, Forgotten Realms, Riftware Saga or equivalents then HP will probably seem lame by comparison. At worst, it will get you into trouble when you start laughing at the death of Dobbie whilst many around you in the cinema are crying (true story, i was not popular that day!).
    Mendel[Deleted User]
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited October 2019
    Ziebaa said:
    DMKano said:
    Unpopular opinion

The rest- way overblown 
    Rogue one was good? Good filler story yea but the fact they never even stayed true to the originals and failed to simply put bothans in the movie somehow. Big F up on them for forgetting a big part of how the plans even got to them in the first place

Rogue One was great......and Bothans were spoken of regarding the 2nd Death Star, not the 1st from Rogue One. You failed as a Star Wars fan. Shame be upon you.

Daranar
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!