Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here’s What’s Next For Bungie and Destiny - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageHere’s What’s Next For Bungie and Destiny - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 sees a rebirth of sorts today, with the latest coming to us via a press release detailing New Light, Shadowkeep, and much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I, finally, got into the game. Just a quick look at the season pass is worrying. There's engrams, gear, enchantment cores, legendary shards, currencies, resources, etc. as rewards for season pass holders. Even ascendant shards.

I mean, that's P2W, right? That's not just cosmetic stuff. Season pass holders have a major advantage over those that don't.
    Vexiusxelockelaxiba
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • husscoolhusscool Member UncommonPosts: 78

I, finally, got into the game. Just a quick look at the season pass is worrying. There's engrams, gear, enchantment cores, legendary shards, currencies, resources, etc. as rewards for season pass holders. Even ascendant shards.

I mean, that's P2W, right? That's not just cosmetic stuff. Season pass holders have a major advantage over those that don't.

If you intend on playing the game, you should buy the season pass. If you can't afford the season pass you should stop playing the game and find a better job.
    bartoni33[Deleted User]VezlinVexiusxorbitxoRoinxybedoutelockeNanbinokryntokand 2 others.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Probably is. But now that it's FTP it doesn't seem as bad as if it was still BTP.

"Free" allows for a certain amount of fleecing of customers as opposed to "buy".

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217

husscool said:

If you intend on playing the game, you should buy the season pass. If you can't afford the season pass you should stop playing the game and find a better job.

Maybe just don’t comment ever again. Thanks.
    [Deleted User]dragonlee66infomatzPhrycheebaelockekryntok[Deleted User]TacticalZombehDeadSpock
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2019

Ascendant shards i think are new so i don't know what is it for, but for the rest i am only bothered by exotic weapons and armor. While PvP stats are disabled for most game modes, there is still a PvP mode where gear stats impact gameplay. Now I have less reason to play that mode.

I casually save enhancement cores, legendary shards, and other currency by dismantling everything I don't use so i am not that bothered by those.

On the free side of the battle pass there are still some good stuff including exotic weapons, engrams and currency. If they make it exclusive to payers then that would be a problem considering most people did buy the game and all DLC back on BNET.
    [Deleted User]infomatz[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

edited October 2019

If they make it exclusive to payers then that would be a problem considering most people did buy the game and all DLC back on BNET.

But it is exclusive to payers, all the second row where most of the best rewards are. I've bought everything for the game up until now so that's exactly where I'm coming from.

It should just be cosmetics only anyway. Fortnite has proven that these battle pass style reward systems work fine with just cosmetics. There was no need for it.

When the masses of strictly free only players and youtuber's realise what's going on, I doubt it's going to go down well. That's some juicy controversy that'll generate a lot of views.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited October 2019
    This site is full of moochers-I can only imagine steam forums....but I’ll be too busy playing. Iam fine with their new system- I’ll get the season pass like I’ve always done to support a game I enjoy playing. (period)
    cheeba

orbitxo said:

This site is full of moochers-I can only imagine steam forums....but I’ll be too busy playing. Iam fine with their new system- I’ll get the season pass like I’ve always done to support a game I enjoy playing. (period)

The point is they are adding gameplay benefits to the season pass, and not just being able to get a couple new exotics early like before.

I actually have the season pass, because I've bought Shadowkeep. Still doesn't stop me from recognizing that there's P2W incentives in there.
  • ZiebaaZiebaa Member UncommonPosts: 19

husscool said:

must be a recluse user
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I only bought the original game without any expansions, this is a great deal for people like me. I also really enjoy the game so definitely will be playing. 

I remembered the old expansions on D1 and how they got cheaper so decided to wait this time, glad how that turned out.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    kryntokDeadSpock
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

husscool said:

Maybe just don’t comment ever again. Thanks.
    If you have to buy the season pass for the game to be viable, then the game is a failure. The game has to be good enough that you want to buy the pass, not 'you must' buy the pass. :/
    The_KodellTacticalZombehDeadSpock
  • xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Never bought a pass and game was still some good fun. Not much of a PVP player but even there I had fun with my "casual" weapons compared to those grinding for the best gears. Not that I have the time to research what are good PVP weapons anyway. So ye, dunno how much one should really worry about p2w.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Don't play, it is the same Destiny con game as always. When has a f2p ever been a good game with out being a cash grab too? Only here they already ripped 90% of us off for$400 bucks or so in expansions, or more if ya used the cash shop for moneyz.

Hey who is going to pay for all these free players? Better break out that wallet in Soviet Russia Destiny 2 plays you!!!!!

The_Kodellelocke
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Arterius said:

I know I will be killed for this. Def on this site where the majority of people are seasoned gamers but the game is F2P now. It was only fitting that they add more elements to the store. Destiny 2 also didn't sell so hot so this a way for them to try to make back some money. As for if the game is P2W. I don't play the game but people are pretty positive about it on IGN and people hate everything there so I don't think so.

The game is not F2P now. Only a ...portion of the game is F2P. Same as with GW2 for exemple.

[Deleted User]elockeDeadSpock

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Havent played any bulletsponge fps game but damm tis game is repeative and boring. Races dont have any racial buffs/debuffs.
    gear rewards are just meh and my power level is 750? why not just 75000? make sense.
    elockeDeadSpock
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    the new intro is short and a bit anticlimatic , but finish at the tower , so u dont have to wait to acess content.

u can play the old campaign talking to Amanda Holliday :)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    It's 1000 silver or $10 for the season pass right now, that's not too bad at all.  I gameshare with my son and he has to pay the $10 as it only counts per profile now it seems, not sure when that happened, but whatever.  $10 isn't going to break us.  Played together last night and we both were getting decent drops from all activities and u still earn the xp for the season pass just can't claim the bottom rewards till u pay the $10 bucks.  Not a biggie.
    kryntokDeadSpock
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    A season pass is like a subscription and anything you get with it is not considered pay to win, it’s part of the subscription. 

Try the game for free. If you like it and feel you need the rest of the stuff then subscribe. 

It really is that simple. 
    ArglebargleTacticalZombehelockeIceAge
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Ill blow all the "get a jopb and pay for these sub par games" out of the water in 3...2..1...: Warframe. I'll show myself out. *lights up, blows smoke in your face*
    elocke
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77

elocke said:

It's 1000 silver or $10 for the season pass right now, that's not too bad at all.  I gameshare with my son and he has to pay the $10 as it only counts per profile now it seems, not sure when that happened, but whatever.  $10 isn't going to break us.  Played together last night and we both were getting decent drops from all activities and u still earn the xp for the season pass just can't claim the bottom rewards till u pay the $10 bucks.  Not a biggie.

Exactly! Kids listen up. It not a big deal. When I was 14 I was paying $30 a month for SWG and DAoC. All I got for that was access to play.
    Iselinelocke
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    kryntok said:

elocke said:

Exactly! Kids listen up. It not a big deal. When I was 14 I was paying $30 a month for SWG and DAoC. All I got for that was access to play.
    All you got for that was every single thing the game had lol.

These days you need a manual just to figure out what chunks of the game are carved out and what you have to pay to get it back. There's not even such a thing as an all inclusive sub option since there will still be things that are extra on top of the sub.

Yeah you definitely get much more for your sub these days compared to the DAoC/SWG days /s
    [Deleted User]Sensai[Deleted User]elocke[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    elocke said:
    I get that. I will buy and play games I wouldn't normally do otherwise just to play with my kid. He's leaving home soon and enlisting in the service. I'll take any excuse to hang out with him. I'd even buy the big pack, install Winblows on a hdd somewhere, and play and love every minute of it. That's only because the game is a means to an end.

It's a great shooter. Don't get me wrong. It is excellent in that regard in my opinion. They just suck at monetizing it and DLC content generation. They want more money than they're putting effort into the game. The DLCs have largely sucked across seasons with a few exceptions. Despite that they still want money up front and are willing to gate rewards accordingly. I don't respect that at all. Most "Games as a Service" are like this or worse. Anthem anyone?

TL;DR
    Would any of that stop me from playing this to hang with my kid? Nope. Would I keep playing otherwise or recommend anyone do so outside of that situation? No freaking way. :lol:
    It sounds selfish but it kind of sucks when they grow up and leave home doesn't it? :)
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited October 2019
    The whole F2P is just a total wush!

I get that you might get auto-leveled to Powerlevel 750 when FINISHING the Forsaken Campaign! So you can naturally flow into the next Expansion Shadowkeep! 

But here comes the kicker in our new Destiny 2 experience!  Even new characters get immediately auto-leveled to light level 750! WTF? 

So they basically don't want people to experience the Original Campaign and the Forsaken Campaign anymore? 
    Or how about actually "LEARNING" your class and the game as a "New" player?? 

This is just totally DUMB beyond belief!! 

People have long bashed and trashed ActiVision of being the EVIL entity behind Destiny, but now Bungie's true colors are starting to show!! It was Bungie all along! Greedy fecks. 

They just basically killed off the entire Destiny 2 base game and Forsaken expac and just want people to buy Shadowkeep and just play that! /FACEPALM
    Phryelocke
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    JeroKane said:
    The whole F2P is just a total wush!

I get that you might get auto-leveled to Powerlevel 750 when FINISHING the Forsaken Campaign! So you can naturally flow into the next Expansion Shadowkeep! 

But here comes the kicker in our new Destiny 2 experience!  Even new characters get immediately auto-leveled to light level 750! WTF? 

So they basically don't want people to experience the Original Campaign and the Forsaken Campaign anymore? 
    Or how about actually "LEARNING" your class and the game as a "New" player?? 

This is just totally DUMB beyond belief!! 

People have long bashed and trashed ActiVision of being the EVIL entity behind Destiny, but now Bungie's true colors are starting to show!! It was Bungie all along! Greedy fecks. 

They just basically killed off the entire Destiny 2 base game and Forsaken expac and just want people to buy Shadowkeep and just play that! /FACEPALM
    First, you go to Amanda Holliday, the ship npc and pick up the Legacy quests for the old campaigns and boom, u can now experience them whenever u want, however u want.  The game is better right now because level locking isn't a thing, I can just pick an activity, go do it and get rewarded same as before PLUS season pass XP which rewards me even more every time I ding.   It's made the content nice and streamlined and easier/faster to find and get into whatever you are in the mood for.  Gearing up is fun again, unlike before when you would never see the right piece of gear to get you to the next power level.

You still "learn" your class by PLAYING same as before, except now, all build options are open and available to play and learn with.  In 2 days of playing I've found a build that works for me in pve and one for pvp, instead of waiting to "unlock" the next trait in the tree with skill points I can now just turn on the build I want and play around.  Weapon choice is better now because I can just keep the weapons I enjoy using while occasionally trying out new drops by being able to upgrade my current weapon using higher level weapons I don't want.  

So, I think Bungie did very well with Shadowkeep and can't wait to see what's coming next.  It's made me excited to play the game and actually get things accomplished on MY time.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited October 2019
    elocke said:
    JeroKane said:
    snip
    First, you go to Amanda Holliday, the ship npc and pick up the Legacy quests for the old campaigns and boom, u can now experience them whenever u want, however u want.  The game is better right now because level locking isn't a thing, I can just pick an activity, go do it and get rewarded same as before PLUS season pass XP which rewards me even more every time I ding.   It's made the content nice and streamlined and easier/faster to find and get into whatever you are in the mood for.  
    Don't you realize how ridiculously stupid this is!! Seriously??

So you expect a brand new player starting Destiny 2 now, who gets dropped in the New City. Sees he/she is immediately Light Level 750 and thinks WTF? and then able to figure out he/she has go to the left through some small corridors and find Amanda Holiday to start the original Campaign!

This is perfectly fine for veteran players who already went through all the Campaigns on a single character and create new ALTs and don't want to go through all that again.

But on a brand new account, a player should start on level 1 - Light level 100 (think that was the starting power if I remember correctly) and auto start the original Destiny 2 campaign!
    This way they progress naturally through the game, with the right challenges, learn the ropes by slowly unlocking new abilities, powers, etc.

Now they just completely squashed and normalized all the old content to light level 750!
    What fun is there to play through two long campaigns without practically any progression whatsoever?  They did a poor job balancing the old content to the new light level 750 as well. I am just destroying everything, even (mini) bosses without much thought in the old content now.  It's a joke! :(
    Post edited by JeroKane on