Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Casual Conversation: So You're Thinking About Playing Destiny - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Casual Conversation: So You're Thinking About Playing Destiny - MMORPG.com

Whether you are new to Destiny or looking to get back in, New Light provides an incredible entry point into the vast universe that began five years ago. This article is a casual conversation about the universe of Destiny with some pointers from a seasoned player.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Hey Damien, great article! even as a destiny vet i appreciate it! Side note i JUST learned since i somehow managed to get into the game, even thought he servers are hammered, is that Nightfalls are not also a matchmade activity! That is amazing and a great QOL change by Bungie.
    Pastor_Dame

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 393

Hey Damien, great article! even as a destiny vet i appreciate it! Side note i JUST learned since i somehow managed to get into the game, even thought he servers are hammered, is that Nightfalls are not also a matchmade activity! That is amazing and a great QOL change by Bungie.

Quick typing mistake, Nightfalls are NOW a matchmade activity.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Logged in today to check out the new changes and my GTX 970 fried...

Back to my decade old HD Radeon 6950 until I can get a new card. It did run the game at 60fps on the lowest setting so at least is playable for the time being. My luck.

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    For a filthy casual that has been playing through the content of the expansion slowly, the boost to 750 will kill this for me unless they scaled past content (which I doubt). I didn't ask to be 750 and was very happy at 505 progressing through Forsaken
    Phry
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    You must be so casual that you don't know how the game wroks hu^^^^^
    Viper482
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

Ishkal said:

You must be so casual that you don't know how the game wroks hu^^^^^

How doz it wrok? Tellr us prease.
    TacticalZombeh
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37

Big thanks - appreciate the new information! I wrote this article before the detail about Nightfall matchmaking dropped. That is going to be HUGE for end game!

For a filthy casual that has been playing through the content of the expansion slowly, the boost to 750 will kill this for me unless they scaled past content (which I doubt). I didn't ask to be 750 and was very happy at 505 progressing through Forsaken

In my experience, content scaling has usually been pretty fair with Destiny 2. Even jumping back into past story missions with friend while I have been decked out, it was still a decent mix of fun and challenge. So, you should be good to play at your leisure without it feeling like "old" content is one-sided fist fight.

This change was necessary to insure new players and grizzled ancients alike could play together. The Power level balance solves a longstanding issue for many new players coming into an MMO-style game by removing a 40+ hour grind to catch up.

I would encourage you to check out this IGN interview on New Light with Bungie's Eric Osborne and Raylene Deck. While it doesn't directly talk to the issue that you have with the Power level shift, it does offer some of their perspective on why this was important for the game.

Hope this answer helps.

Logged in today to check out the new changes and my GTX 970 fried...

Back to my decade old HD Radeon 6950 until I can get a new card. It did run the game at 60fps on the lowest setting so at least is playable for the time being. My luck.

Sorry for your luck on the GPU... Destiny 2 can function pretty well on older/lower powered gear.

Now, to see if I can get it to run on a smart toaster...
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited October 2019
    Some people around here owe me an apology.  I take all my 
    "you were rights" in blue face hundreds, thanks.

For those somehow still on the fence:

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    The fact that you get auto-leveled to light level 750 ruined it for me. Uninstalled last night after realizing that was a thing. The whole "We just want you to play with your friends!" marketing ploy is just to get you in the game in the hopes that you buy the latest content. There's no progression whatsoever anymore if you don't have the latest content.
    Phry
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited October 2019
    I get that you might get auto-leveled to Powerlevel 750 when FINISHING the Forsaken Campaign! So you can naturally flow into the next Expansion Shadowkeep! But even new characters get immediately auto-leveled to light level 750! WTF? So they basically don't want people to experience the Original Campaign and the Forsaken Campaign anymore? Or how about actually "LEARNING" your class and the game as a "New" player?? This is just totally DUMB beyond belief!! People have long bashed and trashed ActiVision of being the EVIL entity behind Destiny, but now Bungie's true colors are starting to show!! It was Bungie all along! Greedy fecks.
    Post edited by JeroKane on
    Phry
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Ive now tried it 5 times and just cant get into it because of FPS view, dont get me wrong I play FPS games but loot shooters should be 3rd person, when you spend so much effort on gear customization etc then want to see that at all times. Really needs an option or mod aside equipping some weapon or other that might give you a few seconds of it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    JeroKane said:
    I get that you might get auto-leveled to Powerlevel 750 when FINISHING the Forsaken Campaign! So you can naturally flow into the next Expansion Shadowkeep! But even new characters get immediately auto-leveled to light level 750! WTF? So they basically don't want people to experience the Original Campaign and the Forsaken Campaign anymore? Or how about actually "LEARNING" your class and the game as a "New" player?? This is just totally DUMB beyond belief!! People have long bashed and trashed ActiVision of being the EVIL entity behind Destiny, but now Bungie's true colors are starting to show!! It was Bungie all along! Greedy fecks.
    If that is true and they really do that, then there is absolutely no point in buying the expacs until you have completed the base game and you are ready to move on. :/
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Phry said:
    JeroKane said:
    If that is true and they really do that, then there is absolutely no point in buying the expacs until you have completed the base game and you are ready to move on. :/
     a lot do though, see f2p try it for 5 minutes ooo i like this buy expacs start running end game content and utterly suck and ruin others experiences.

I havent exerienced destiny to say it is the case there but it definitely is in guild wars 2

Players come in play it for a few levels think i like this rush off buy the expacs and use the 70 level token, then start wvw, pvp, the expac content etc etc and downright blow at it as they havent got the first clue about how the class they are playing works how they cant just stand and wail on things like they could at level 2, of the fact the 70 token gear whilst of orange quality is absolutely gash and a terrible mix of stats etc

Then many think god this is crap and uninstall never to return.

But hey arenanet has their money so it doesnt matter if they stick around or not aside a dwindling population not being replaced because new players arent introduced properly to the varying factors of the game.