Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tencent Acquires 29% Of Shares From Funcom To Become Largest Shareholder - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTencent Acquires 29% Of Shares From Funcom To Become Largest Shareholder - MMORPG.com News

Chinese gaming giant Tencent always makes waves in the gaming industry when it makes its moves. Its most recent deal will see it acquire 29% of the shares in independent game developer and publisher, Funcom.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2019
    Long term: Get ready for Secret World Mobile. I honestly dont even know how I feel about that given that Legends pretty much plays like a mobile game anyway.
    doomexelveoneScotSolancerinfomatzDxBlueIce[Deleted User]
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    sigh.
    Scotty787elveoneScotinfomatz
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    tencent are pretty hands off when they invest in game devs.
    people were crying to wolves when they invested into ggg and nothing has changed for poe except that the last 2 leagues have been incredibly good and fun to play.
    i'd rather have tencent investing than EA buying out and killing yet another dev studio.
    KyleranelveoneAzaron_Nightbladebgzgamer
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

ananit said:

tencent are pretty hands off when they invest in game devs.
    people were crying to wolves when they invested into ggg and nothing has changed for poe except that the last 2 leagues have been incredibly good and fun to play.
    i'd rather have tencent investing than EA buying out and killing yet another dev studio.

And of course - Riot.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited September 2019
    Ok this is going to make your head spin Tencent is very big gaming company HQ in China, but the biggest share holder is Naspers which own 31% of Tencent, Naspers is a south african company, but it is also a public company, and Naspers biggest share holder is Public Investment corporation which own 16% of Naspers, and what is Public Investment corporation? It is south african government subs that manage all the government pension fund in south africa so it is 100% owned by south african national treasury. so we could say all this micro transaction can be blamed to south africa government ;) btw naspers also owns 29% of mail.ru.
    KumaponScot[Deleted User]Gorwe[Deleted User]
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

So far Tencent looks like one of the more respectable shareholders/owners I've seen. They buy games so they can have an easier time to develop them for the Chinese market and seemingly don't change anything in development for the rest of the world.

It's been going great for League of Legends and Path of Exile, no real need to worry. There is no point in going full p2w in the games they own, if you look at Tencents resume you'll see that even League of Legends barely scratches "worth anything" to them

I'd rather have my game owned by Tencent than by EA...

ananitAzaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]elveoneinfomatz
  • mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200
    new silkroad please
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Kumapon said:

So far Tencent looks like one of the more respectable shareholders/owners I've seen. They buy games so they can have an easier time to develop them for the Chinese market and seemingly don't change anything in development for the rest of the world.

It's been going great for League of Legends and Path of Exile, no real need to worry. There is no point in going full p2w in the games they own, if you look at Tencents resume you'll see that even League of Legends barely scratches "worth anything" to them

I'd rather have my game owned by Tencent than by EA...

Yep, I looked at the games under their umbrella earlier. And they're all titles that have done great. As someone mentioned earlier, EA would've been much worse.
    elveone

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I invested in FCMKF in 2017 at .06 a share ...  I own an awful fucking lot of it , matter a fact in summer 17 FCMKF contacted and made me an offer to purchase more at .05 before the put 6 million more shares on the market at .06 , i Took that option , fast forward to 2/18 i t does a 5-1 reverse split to .25..

then jumps to 2.65 .. has fluctuated bit since .. jumped near 17% today alone ..

FCMKF has been very lucrative for me .. and have been waiting for this move..

Also bought a lot of FCMKF in 2010 ( ibelieve it was ) at .23 ... sold it all at 4$ 2 years later .. (that was fun) ...:)

Anyway this is very good news for FCMKF and me :)
    BruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Relaunch Lego Minifigures please.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2019
    Not at all surprised that someone bought into part ownership because Funcom has imo been on life support for at least 3 years now.I give them some credit,they have managed to put some products out that buy them more time but eventually they have to make something of quality.

Even their survival game looked like the same game as Conan,the same engine,same look/texture quality,same lighting,it looked like hardly any effort at all went into it.

Now ...WHY would Tencent buy into it,to me it makes no sense unless they just have money to burn or need to spend some money.What would their influence be,well cash shops of course,not like any dev needs encouraging in that department anymore.

That is the BUSINESS side of things,what does it mean for gamer's....not a damn thing.
    TacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    BruceYee said:
    my kid loved that game

Scorchien said:
    BruceYee said:
    my kid loved that game

They didn't add enough meaningful end game content to it and the progression was kind of just slapped together but the way each minifigure was unique with their own abilities was something that could've been improved with more $$ which Tencent has. Tencent probably will also have an easier time working with Lego and the opportunity to add the game to Switch etc is there.
    Scorchien
    Wizardry said:
    Not at all surprised that someone bought into part ownership because Funcom has imo been on life support for at least 3 years now.I give them some credit,they have managed to put some products out that buy them more time but eventually they have to make something of quality.

Even their survival game looked like the same game as Conan,the same engine,same look/texture quality,same lighting,it looked like hardly any effort at all went into it.

Now ...WHY would Tencent buy into it,to me it makes no sense unless they just have money to burn or need to spend some money.What would their influence be,well cash shops of course,not like any dev needs encouraging in that department anymore.

That is the BUSINESS side of things,what does it mean for gamer's....not a damn thing.
    Except when Tencent gets majority in a company play time is over and their productivity improves greatly to a point where I wonder if the devs are being chained to their desks lol.

More content in games = better for gamers? right?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Minifigs was a fun little game, and also typical Funcom: barely advertised, left alone after launch, and then let it fade into dark then close...
    Wizardry said:
    Now ...WHY would Tencent buy into it,to me it makes no sense unless they just have money to burn or need to spend some money.
    First, it was maybe pocket money for Tencent :smile:  and probably they want to put Exiles and the upcoming Dune on their WeGame platform. Massive coverage for a small investment.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Good. Maybe now they will make some sane changes to their CS policies and I can play AO and AoC again without them forcing me to send them a picture of my DL. Just verify me like every sane company in history has done it.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    These guys are totally not going to f#@$ up Dune.
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯