Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Beta 2 Open Today to Backers - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCamelot Unchained Beta 2 Open Today to Backers - MMORPG.com

Camelot Unchained's Beta 2 is open to backers today, according to a new roundup from the team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Is this game launching this decade? I've been a backer since day 1, but three blind turtles can move at a faster development pace.
    Viper482PhrySailorMommoroelDryxaline[Deleted User]SlyLoK[Deleted User]XarkoDrunkWolfand 4 others.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited September 2019
    Thupli said:
    Nce to see the words Beta Test!

They are calling it "beta" but it is where most other games call alpha, even pre-alpha in some cases. My bet is it is still 2 years away from any resemblance of a fully functional game.
    SailorMomDryxalineMightyUncleantweedledumb99drueznatpick
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Viper482 said:
    Thupli said:

They are calling it "beta" but it is where most other games call alpha, even pre-alpha in some cases. My bet is it is still 2 years away from any resemblance of a fully functional game.
    i would rather the game be in Beta for 2 years than they do the current industry standard of releasing it unfinished etc. Looking at Anthem here, but its not the only example is it. :/
    jimmywolfWhiskeydustdruezcraftseeker
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    Thupli said:

It's pretty damn questionable if they ever get to resemblance of a fully functional game period.
    If they had stated it was an Alpha build rather than a Beta then i would likely agree with you, but that they are stating the game is in Beta means that while the game is unfinished, it is a functional game, the game becoming 'fully' functional is afaik something that is achieved during Beta as the games functionality undergoes testing/modification. If they had released the game with a cash shop and were using Beta status as a shield to divert criticism, that would be something else. ;)
    Viper482bcbully
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Rember the old lil mage box fighting game they made long ago? They were hungry then and worked hard DAOC. 

Now they are just phat and don't need to rush into anything.
    druez
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    Thupli said:

i would rather the game be in Beta for 2 years than they do the current industry standard of releasing it unfinished etc. Looking at Anthem here, but its not the only example is it. :/

Okay....you and pretty much every other gamer. I do not have an issue with how long it is taking...I have an issue with them shining a turd and telling me it's a diamond.
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    Thupli said:

It's pretty damn questionable if they ever get to resemblance of a fully functional game period.
    If they had stated it was an Alpha build rather than a Beta then i would likely agree with you, but that they are stating the game is in Beta means that while the game is unfinished, it is a functional game, the game becoming 'fully' functional is afaik something that is achieved during Beta as the games functionality undergoes testing/modification. If they had released the game with a cash shop and were using Beta status as a shield to divert criticism, that would be something else. ;)
    So because they are calling it beta you believe it? This is exactly my point, they are calling it something it is not. Half of this game is still in concept mode, that is not beta.
    Viper482 said:
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:
    Thupli said:

So because they are calling it beta you believe it? This is exactly my point, they are calling it something it is not. Half of this game is still in concept mode, that is not beta.
    I am not in the Beta, so i will have to take your word on that, if half the game really is in concept only, then that isn't a real 'beta' its alpha, beta should mean the game is relatively complete and that all that is left is ensuring features work as intended and adjusting/fixing whatever breaks. :/
    Viper482
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Point of order, I believe the game's development phase is still officially Beta One, they are just inviting those who backed at the beta two level to come help test. 

Good reason for this, many of the alpha and beta one testers are long past burned out so they need to open testing up to additional waves to get enough folks to work with.

mklinicYashaXmeddyck

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Point of order, I believe the game's development phase is still officially Beta One, they are just inviting those who backed at the beta two level to come help test. 

Good reason for this, many of the alpha and beta one testers are long past burned out so they need to open testing up to additional waves to get enough folks to work with.

Quoted for truth. I can't even be arsed to download the new installer.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Slapshot1188Beezerbeeztweedledumb99YashaX
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    The most liberal and lax use of the term "beta" I've seen in MMORPG development.  Come on developers, we know it must be embarrassing and discouraging to be this many years behind, but you don't have to be dishonest with us about the state of the game.  It's insulting.
    Viper482tweedledumb99
    Robokapp said:
    The most liberal and lax use of the term "beta" I've seen in MMORPG development.  Come on developers, we know it must be embarrassing and discouraging to be this many years behind, but you don't have to be dishonest with us about the state of the game.  It's insulting.
    so is it an actual beta then?

They are calling it beta but it is just alpha in disguise. They missed several beta dates and people were getting pissed so they just said screw it and called where they are now beta.
    tweedledumb99
    Viper482 said:
    Robokapp said:
    so is it an actual beta then?

They are calling it beta but it is just alpha in disguise. They missed several beta dates and people were getting pissed so they just said screw it and called where they are now beta.
    Beta 1 appears to be never ending, it started at the end of July 2018 and keeps rolling and rolling. ..

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I've had the same client on my computer for over 3 years. I really couldn't be bothered updating it. I guess I'll have to wait until a "playable" version is available. Too frustrating otherwise.
    Kyleran
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It’s getting harder and harder to believe people here.

So, what features are still in the concept phase and not in the game?

What’s missing that would make it a “real beta”?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Beta? I didn't know games made it past alpha anymore.
    [Deleted User]bcbully
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited September 2019
    Will there be a beta 3 and 4?
    I know this is old school beta but what does that amounts to in relation to a modern beta?
    Given the state of the game based on the little info and media non backers have access to,it will take up to and even beyond old school beta 6 before CU is close to what is nowadays perceived as almost completed.Which is modern beta aka nice graphics even nicer bugs extra nice early access packs.The way I see it there definitely should be a gamma after the beta.To top it off add in a delta later.

"What with all the other games and their betas this and that.Here we got deltas.Old school"

edited September 2019
    bcbully said:

Always available beta test environment for starters..... it's been over six years in Dev and 14 months of Beta "One" after all.

CF, SC, DU are all in Alpha and provide a persistent test environment.

[Deleted User]

• druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    edited September 2019
    This game is a beta if you use the term beta as it was used 20 years ago. People are used to companies releasing games in a pre-release open beta which really means a demo with bugs.

CU is in an old school beta phase. Very similar to what DAOC was in its early phases. I remember testing DAOC, where you could just run around the capital and the few zones outside and fought basic mobs.

Heck DAOC was released with entire zones with just some placeholder stuff, not really fleshed out.

To me this game is probably 1 to 2 years from release. Depending how fast they can create the rest of the classes and populate the world with content.

The key systems are in the game and are working.

CU has been upfront about the delays the whole time. They post about it every week. Any backer has complete access to MJ and the team.

I wish they were moving faster. MJ is one of the founders of modern MMO's. I doubt he is going to quit on this or let it fail. This is pretty much his magus opus to MMO"s. I think this is what he will want to be remember for when its all said and done.

I believe in the tech behind the scenes, which is the hardest part to design/create. The ability system, the physics engine, the ability to have 1000+ NPC's on a screen at one time. It is all working. They are truly building an MMO that allows for large scale battles with destruction and building.

Will it be worth the wait, I hope so. But, the team is busting their arse. They aren't trying to mislead people.

tweedledumb99
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2019
    I remember MJ pretty recently saying that - based on team inputs - the game is launching this year. If so then "beta 2" must - pretty much - be the game release version.

Have I have missed an announcement that 2019 is is no longer planned?

Kyleran
    edited September 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    I remember MJ pretty recently saying that - based on team inputs - the game is launching this year. If so then "beta 2" must - pretty much - be the game release version.

Have I have missed an announcement that 2019 is is no longer planned?

Someone made mention not too long ago of an update being posted on the backer forums.

While I am an alpha level tester I never log in to official forums (the white light everywhere burns those who live under the bridge) so no clue what was said, but apparently still not for public consumption. 

>:) 

gervaise1

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kyleran said:
    bcbully said:

Always available beta test environment for starters..... it's been over six years in Dev and 14 months of Beta "One" after all.

Yeah soooo I’m still looking for anyone to tell what major features are missing that would make a “real beta”

all i hear is the same ole bitching that we’ve become accustomed to.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited September 2019
    bcbully said:
    Kyleran said:
    bcbully said:

Yeah soooo I’m still looking for anyone to tell what major features are missing that would make a “real beta”

all i hear is the same ole bitching that we’ve become accustomed to.
    If you are going to ignore perfectly valid qualifiers why would anyone bother providing others?

Oh, how about they drop the NDA? Can't really share too many details about what's missing at this point you know.

:D 

YashaX

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286

bcbully said:

A game world?
    KyleranYashaX

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon