Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO's Minas Morgul Will Bring Players Back To The Last Alliance - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageLOTRO's Minas Morgul Will Bring Players Back To The Last Alliance - MMORPG.com

It looks like LOTRO's latest expansion, Minas Morgul, will bring players back to The Last Alliance, according to a Q&A.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, think opening sequence of Fellowship of the Ring. Great to see solid content updates, remember when that was the norm?
    [Deleted User]MendelAgent_Joseph
  • TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I keep hearing good things about this game but the graphics makes me not wanna play it.
    JonkrusinskiViper482Agent_Josephgastovski1[Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I keep hearing good things about this game but the graphics makes me not wanna play it.
    What MMO are ya playing that has better graphics, just out of curiousity? FF14 and maybe some newer Korean ones I guess?
    JonkrusinskiViper482Agent_JosephOzmodan
  • TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320

Utinni said:

What MMO are ya playing that has better graphics, just out of curiousity? FF14 and maybe some newer Korean ones I guess?

Right now between WoW & ESO.
    JonkrusinskiViper482gastovski1Ozmodan
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited September 2019
    Utinni said:

What rock are you living under? LotR graphics are incredibly dated. That doesn't mean it's a bad game; but it is a bit long in the tooth.

Viper482PhryNanbino
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

The way the landscape is drawn the graphics are still beautiful. If you need BDO or ESO graphics in every game that is shallow. Your loss.
    pantaroOzmodan
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Viper482 said:

The way the landscape is drawn the graphics are still beautiful. If you need BDO or ESO graphics in every game that is shallow. Your loss.
    Everyone has their own preferences, but the graphics in Lotro are very dated, compared to games like ESO, GW2, Archeage, BDO, FFXIV etc. Sure you don't play those games just for the graphics either, but its one of the yardsticks that modern games are measured by. 
    Lotro is probably comparable to WoW, in that the graphics aren't bad as such, but they are 'dated'

[Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232

Phry said:

Viper482 said:

Everyone has their own preferences, but the graphics in Lotro are very dated, compared to games like ESO, GW2, Archeage, BDO, FFXIV etc. Sure you don't play those games just for the graphics either, but its one of the yardsticks that modern games are measured by. 
    Lotro is probably comparable to WoW, in that the graphics aren't bad as such, but they are 'dated'

Dated compared too what ? Lotro DX11 , more dx11 features then any other mmorpg . LOTRO has 64bit client now, which I beleive is the second or third 64bit client out for the mmorpg genre. 

I could be biased, but to even suggest LotrO is a bottom feeder like /o/ in the graphics department is an insult to the great artists and designers who create some of the best vistas in in one of the most iconic lore settings. Comment is ridiculously out of touch with game technologies.

Great screenshots, and yes, you are coming off a little biased. ;)

Is that by chance a new area? Because I have tried this game as well and where I started was extremely off-putting even at max settings. On top of all that, graphics are not the only thing that can make a game feel "dated" as others have been saying.

The UI for one is uninspired, so much so that from what I understand people download UI skins. The feel and flow of combat is also definitely dated.

I am sure the game is great for someone who has been playing it for a long time, it has the feeling of belonging and the nostalgia. But for someone who is just starting out all they see is what they see.

I still go back to Lineage 2 regularly. All I see is the good parts, but when my friends see me play it they just scratch their heads and wonder why the **** im playing a 10+ year old game.
    Nanbino[Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:

Dated compared too what ? Lotro DX11 , more dx11 features then any other mmorpg . LOTRO has 64bit client now, which I beleive is the second or third 64bit client out for the mmorpg genre. 

I could be biased, but to even suggest LotrO is a bottom feeder like /o/ in the graphics department is an insult to the great artists and designers who create some of the best vistas in in one of the most iconic lore settings. Comment is ridiculously out of touch with game technologies.
    What game doesn't use at least Dx11 these days? assuming they use Directx at all that is, well its an improvement on Dx9 at least, so its encouraging that Lotro is no longer using that, but it is still using graphic resources from when it did use Dx9 the game was released in 2007 after all, and while Dx11 has been around for a while, it certainly wasn't around then. :p
    Ozmodan
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Sure it has fallen behind graphically but not in a huge way. For heaven sakes people still play WoW and that was behind the curve graphically when it launched. But I too have issues with poor graphics, anything worse than WoW is about my limit.
    Ozmodan
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Phry said:

Phry said:

Viper482 said:

What game doesn't use at least Dx11 these days? assuming they use Directx at all that is, well its an improvement on Dx9 at least, so its encouraging that Lotro is no longer using that, but it is still using graphic resources from when it did use Dx9 the game was released in 2007 after all, and while Dx11 has been around for a while, it certainly wasn't around then. :p

It may have been a long time since dx11, and it may not have been around when lotro launched, but, and there is always a but, they were some of the first, if not the first mmo, to take use of dx10 when that tech came, for a long time they were the only mmorpg using that, they were also rather fast at implementing dx11. im not sure if it uses dx12, im gonna have to dl it and see. so in all fairness, lotro should be commended for atleast integrating those tech while they are new, instead of waiting years, as most other mmo´s did/do. i agree the animations are not very good, but imho they are bad in most mmo´s except maybe ff14 and in some cases swtor, and also ofcourse Age of conan had great animations too. i forgot my point, i just blabbered on! :)
    [Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited September 2019
    Utinni said:

What rock are you living under? LotR graphics are incredibly dated. That doesn't mean it's a bad game; but it is a bit long in the tooth.

Just curious, what world are you living in?  I have played all the MMO's and the only one with better graphics is FF14 and it is not huge difference at that.  The game has aged graphically better than most.

[Deleted User]
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    LOTRO has been one of my long time favorites, though I didn't like it at all in the beginning.

For this Xpac, I give them credit(?) for having the new race available in all editions.  I hope the marketing guy that suggested withholding the high elf for Mordor got a permanent vacation.

For graphics... of course it lags behind games 10 years its junior.  But it's one of the best looking MMO's of the previous decade.  THE best looking, IMO.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Todays gfx is bdo not ff14 lol
    But lotro is a good game I prefer it than wow hard to describe but the game has more "soul"
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    LoTRO was a nice world but the game was way too quest driven for my tastes....So much of my time there was just running around. That kind of gameplay gets boring fast.
    [Deleted User]