Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic ( EU ) Servers, After First Month ..

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2019
    Err, point of order ....

Full = how many online? 
    High = how many? 
    Med, Low, ditto.

As there is no reference, for all we know Blizzard may be altering these labels on a regular basis. 

Perhaps on Sep 10 Full = 10K and today it equals 7500.

There is even a basis for such a theory, Blizz did say they heavily layered the starting areas in each world but planned to remove all layering as soon as practical,  so full the first week might have referenced only the starting layers, rather than the entire server.  

Heck, there might be more on each server than at launch but who knows?

Can't place any value on this data without actual figures...

All we have so far is how many days Blizz has reported servers as Full, High, etc, but no clue at how many are actually playing.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I'm sure Classic is still fairly popular... obviously some people will have quit the game after trying it or playing it for a while... but there's lots still playing it.

Personally after a few levels, Classic made me appreciate the Retail version a lot more.
    A lot of changes in BFA are stupid (fkn Azerite jezus christ)... but it's still a good game with shitloads of things to do.
    I'm hoping they'll have learned their lesson and Blizzcon will reveal good changes for the next WoW expansion.

..Cake..

edited September 2019
    Utinni said:
    The usual suspects that don't play wow coming to a wow thread to be negative. We get it you don't like wow. 
    Just like the four usual WOW fanbois who come here to gush over how great and wildly successful Classic is without any actual evidence. 

We get it, you love WOW / Classic, isn't there any official forum where you all can pat each other on the back ad naseum?

:D 
    [Deleted User]gervaise1

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:
    The usual suspects that don't play wow coming to a wow thread to be negative. We get it you don't like wow. 
    Just like the four usual WOW fanbois who come here to gush over how great and wildly successful Classic is without any actual evidence. 

At least we are posting on the Game's Forum. Others who come into this Forum and make doom and gloom remarks, are worst then the fanboys. 

I never understood. If you don't like a game or you have no interest in it, why going to the said game forum/threads, and post negativity comments about it?

I'm guilty here. I usually post every .. few months or so, on Starcitizen threads, but..I hope that's ..understandable :D

Other then that, Classic IS a wildly successful game with evidences. If you want to deny that, come with real evidences and not some Twitch numbers. Even the Icy-Veins data, from more then a week ago ( in comparation with mine ), shows that the game is wildly successful. 

If one is denying that, well .. say it once, say it twice...but keep going and going and going, it's just absurd. 

Axxar

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited September 2019
    DMKano said:
    IceAge said:
    Xodic said:
    Because I have nothing else to do, I compared @IceAge screenshots with that Icy-Veins data.

Server name/Icy-Vein server status/IceAge server status/+ or - population ranking

Ashbringer F                                  F                                  0
    Bloodfang M M 0
    Dragonfang L M 1
    Dreadmist H H 0
    Firemaw F F 0
    Flamelash H H 0
    Gandling H H 0
    Gehennas F F 0
    Golemagg F F 0
    Hydraxian Waterlords M M 0
    Judgement L M 1
    Mirage Raceway H H 0
    Mograine F F 0
    Nethergarde Keep H H 0
    Noggenfogger H F 1
    Pyrewood Village H F 1
    Razorgore H F 1
    Shazzrah F F 0
    Skullflame H H 0
    Stonespine H H 0
    Ten Storms M H 1
    Zandalar Tribe H H 0

Total +6

Oh look, growth :D
    oh look - you don't understant how Blizzard uses their algorithm to determine server status!

I love the fact that you are trying. Badly, but you do. Again, seems you lack "sarcastic" skills. 

But, go back to google and show us more "proof's", more Twitch data and more Blue posts, which you then come back here, and make it like everything you said is "true" :)

Well is not. Should I remind you that your crystal ball failed you with remarks like "Classic will massively see drops in subs after 2-3 weeks" . "Ok fine, maybe not in 2-3 weeks, but surely after first month" ? 

At this point, whatever you say is irrelevant.  
    Kyleran

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Jamar870 said:
    I think those that stopped before hitting the level cap maybe waiting for phase 2 content drop. Also for some like warlock and paladin, your high end mount is locked behind phase 2 content if I understand from what's been said in ingame chat.
    yep, i'll wait till BfA comes to classic.... *facepalm*

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    DMKano said:
    Also - they look at other servers to determine high/medium/low - not number of players

"relative to other realms"

so the algorithm they use is dynamic 

So there you go - this is what you see one night cannot be used to determine real player numbers at all - as full/high/medium/low is based on OTHER servers at the time not hard player numbers

https://www.wowhead.com/news=294750/blizzard-explains-why-medium-population-classic-servers-have-login-queues

Your info is outdated. They changed it to measure realm's absolute capacity a month ago:

With a hotfix to WoW Classic a few moments ago, we’ve changed how the realm population labels work in order to display realm populations in a more meaningful way.

How population labels work now

This system now measures each realm against a realm’s absolute capacity. Medium indicates a healthy total population on a realm – well in excess of what we considered Full in a 2006 – with room for more players to log-in. You’ll now see a High label if the realm is close to having a queue, and a Full label if the realm currently has a queue.

Source: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-realm-population-label-system/76968
    [Deleted User]IceAgeAxxar

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    IceAge said:

For German, French, Spanish and Russia : https://imgur.com/a/XEFEUfg

That's pretty impressive after the first "honey" month. 

On other News, seems Blizzard is interested about when do players think Phase 2 should release : https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/please-dont-put-phase-2-to-early/89338/62

So, do you still play Classic?

PS: Taken like 15 mins ago and so, I believe this were even more ..full 2 hours ago ( prime time for EU ).

One other thing to consider is that those population statuses are actually even better then they appear. At some point after launch they increased the population caps significantly across all servers. This pretty much moved everyone down a notch. So every server that was Full was moved down to High, every server from High to Medium,ect. I expect a huge drop off still, but I don't think it will happen until after the holidays. Even then, I expect the servers to be quite booming. Remember, they said that "Medium" was the size of the most popular WoW vanilla servers back in the day...and this was BEFORE they raised population server caps. It is more likely at this point that Low population WoW classic servers are the same as the most populated vanilla WoW servers back then.
    IceAgeAxxar
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    What is the server capacity nowadays? Still no post about that? 
    Yeah, still nothing on that ....and there never will be.

Which means, using the "High, Medium or Full" tags are (and have always been) useless for determining an MMOs population or popularity.

But that wont stop the ignorant from using them to try just that.
    edited September 2019
    Xiaoki said:

Which means, using the "High, Medium or Full" tags are (and have always been) useless for determining an MMOs population or popularity.

..or you know, the other ignorants can google and see this : I think server capacity was something like 3,000 concurrent logins by late Classic. - Ion Hazzikostas

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/08/26/warcraft-classic-layering-and-realm-queues-ion-hazzikostas-explains-why-youre-waiting-to-log-in/

You will also find other useful info's there...if you'll read it, if not, oh well, but don't .. call me an ignorant!
    Axxar

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:

We get it, you love WOW / Classic, isn't there any official forum where you all can pat each other on the back ad naseum?

:D 
    I've said before I don't think classic wow is as successful as folks seem to think it is. I could care less about how "successful" a multi-billion dollar publishing company is. Just don't understand why someone who doesn't play or like the game would come to WoW specific forums to spread negativity. You're just as sad as the people posting prime-time "full" server lists as gospel. 
    DMKano said:

Impossible to tell - as they are still using layering to run each server - and Blizzard isn't telling:

1. How many players per layer
    2. How many layers per server

So like I said 

a FULL server with 10 layers vs a FULL server with 3 layers - yeah they don't mean even close to the same thing 

Especially now that Blizzard is using "total server capacity" to determine status.

When not all servers have the same capacity - it's all a guessing game.

You are now..assuming that even full/high server is not good enough for you hm?  Well, good to know that Twitch numbers are far more of a "proof" then actually the servers status for you! 

What's next? Legit question :)

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    IceAge said:
    Xiaoki said:

..or you know, the other ignorants can google and see this : I think server capacity was something like 3,000 concurrent logins by late Classic. - Ion Hazzikostas

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/08/26/warcraft-classic-layering-and-realm-queues-ion-hazzikostas-explains-why-youre-waiting-to-log-in/

You will also find other useful info's there...if you'll read it, if not, oh well, but don't .. call me an ignorant!
    Your big attempt at trying to counter me with a link like that is laughable. I mean, are you serious with this?

Heres a tip: when someone says things such as "I think" and "something like" then that means what they are saying is not trustworthy.

You tried arguing that WoW Classic is doing so well based solely on server population tags and you failed because you are IGNORANT to the fact that those tags are meaningless.
    Xiaoki said:
    IceAge said:
    Xiaoki said:

Your big attempt at trying to counter me with a link like that is laughable. I mean, are you serious with this?

Heres a tip: when someone says things such as "I think" and "something like" then that means what they are saying is not trustworthy.

You tried arguing that WoW Classic is doing so well based solely on server population tags and you failed because you are IGNORANT to the fact that those tags are meaningless.
    Wait what? "Someone"?! That's the current director of WoW ( including Classic ). 

Well, I guess for some of you, not even official words are to be taken serious, right?

Those Tags are not meaningless. I mean, for "theory conspiracy" like you, sure it might, but for the players, who are actually playing the game, waiting in que, etc, knows what this Tags means.

Next time, try to speak a little bit nicer with me, or else i'll ask you to rise 2 fingers and then wait for me to allow you to speak. 
    Axxar

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

IceAge said:
    Xiaoki said:
    IceAge said:
    Xiaoki said:

Wait what? "Someone"?! That's the current director of WoW ( including Classic ). 

Well, I guess for some of you, not even official words are to be taken serious, right?

Those Tags are not meaningless. I mean, for "theory conspiracy" like you, sure it might, but for the players, who are actually playing the game, waiting in que, etc, knows what this Tags means.

Next time, try to speak a little bit nicer with me, or else i'll ask you to rise 2 fingers and then wait for me to allow you to speak. 
    3,000 per server? That was for Real WOW classic not now. He says so in the article you linked.  
    So how much does it hold now? I mean with layering it is hard to tell I guess but arguing over pop numbers when no one outside of Blizzard actually knows seems a bit silly.  For or against. 

I do like what he says here though......

Realistically, WoW game director Ion Hazzikostas told Forbes, the population is going to drop dramatically after the tourists leave and the committed WoW Classic players settle in for the long haul. To deal with that disparity, the company is using "layering," which creates multiple copies of the entire game world of Azeroth to hold people in the short term.
    If you would of read the article, you would see how much per layer can hold ( or approximate ).

Nevertheless, this info is better then no info or "info' from Twitch or, newly , people who now say that "Full/High" doesn't mean anything. I will take their words over a ...crystal ball any day..
    Axxar

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Xiaoki said:
    IceAge said:
    Xiaoki said:

3,000 per server? That was for Real WOW classic not now. He says so in the article you linked.  
    So how much does it hold now? I mean with layering it is hard to tell I guess but arguing over pop numbers when no one outside of Blizzard actually knows seems a bit silly.  For or against. 

I do like what he says here though......

Realistically, WoW game director Ion Hazzikostas told Forbes, the population is going to drop dramatically after the tourists leave and the committed WoW Classic players settle in for the long haul. To deal with that disparity, the company is using "layering," which creates multiple copies of the entire game world of Azeroth to hold people in the short term.
    If you would of read the article, you would see how much per layer can hold ( or approximate ).

Nevertheless, this info is better then no info or "info' from Twitch or, newly , people who now say that "Full/High" doesn't mean anything. I will take their words over a ...crystal ball any day..
    You dont have to be rude I am not attacking WOW or it's numbers.
     I did read it, twice. He never says. Layering is not a server population. It is a different tech. And he never says a number for sure. 
     I think perhaps you never read the article? You skimmed to the 3,000 number from 13-15 years ago and went with it as a response?

Rude? Wow, that's new :) I wonder what exactly rude you find on my reply to your comment .. 

And someone seems to not read the whole article ..

Newman: How big is a single layer? What's the end target you're shooting for, for each server?

Hazzikostas: Each layer is effectively going to be what a healthy server was at launch in 2004 in terms of the number of people it holds.

"If you would of read the article, you would see how much per layer can hold ( or approximate )."

Now, if you would of been up to date with WoW Classic News, you would of know that there are servers who has 10+ layers, others 5 , etc.

Based on this, let's say when Vanilla launched, there were 2k per servers, heck .. 1.5k. So , the most full servers in Classic with 10+ layers would seen in this situation between 15k-20k , + the ones in Ques, for the ones with 5 layers between 7.5k and 10k , etc.

Keep in mind, that on my server, even now, when it's in Medium ( not prime time ), there are layers, at least 3. 

This is the best info you can find ( or approximate ) . 

1 Layer = One healthy server at launch

5 Layers = Five healthy servers at launch

10 Layers = Ten healthy servers at launch

Yes, I believe there is an addon which can tell you how many layers are on each server. 

No, not going to install it and show it to you or..whoever is interested. 

Yes, you are free to do that yourself.

You welcome!

Axxar

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited September 2019
    We know that Medium is equal to what they considered full in 2006, anyone recall what that was back then?

Still doesn't tell us what full is these days.

edited September 2019
    Layers are not servers. I'm not sure you understand the tech. It is ok I have only used it in one of the games we developed for. It is a tech and is unlike a pure server. 
    My question was if anyone knows what the current WOW classic server cap is. No one does.  
    This article does not address that. No biggie. Blizzard has not said. I didn't expect some random guy on this forum to know.
    I asked our networking team in our studio but they can only guess. 
    (They guess 3500 to 5000 per server)

Layers are servers. Basically, they are. "Clones" of the Main server. Maybe one server can hold multiple layers, but this are real servers ( separated from the Main servers ) which "holds" the layers. I'm not sure you understand the tech. If .. they are not servers, then please go ahead and explain what are they. Maybe you guys have a "new tech" which I don't know.

Anyway, seems I was wrong too. 

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-realm-population-label-system/76968

How population labels work now

This system now measures each realm against a realm’s absolute capacity. Medium indicates a healthy total population on a realm – well in excess of what we considered Full in a 2006 – with room for more players to log-in. You’ll now see a High label if the realm is close to having a queue, and a Full label if the realm currently has a queue.

Based on Ion above info that on 2006 servers caps was 3k players, now it seems a Medium server is well in excess of that ( maybe 3500-5000 as you said ). But that's on a Medium server. 

Now, if we add layers too , for say High/Full servers, seems even my 17k-20k number was low. 

I will take this info any day then from "Twitch Viewers" or doom and gloom people , or .. from a random girl on this forum. 

Anyway, seems we are way off the initial debate.

Classic is healthy even after the first month, which is what matters!

Post edited by IceAge on
    KyleranAxxar

edited September 2019
    Kyleran said:
    We know that Medium is equal to what they considered full in 2006, anyone recall what that was back then?

Still doesn't tell us what full is these days.
    3k was the number a server could hold in 2006.

Edit: Is not equal : 

Medium indicates a healthy total population on a realm – well in excess of what we considered Full in a 2006 – with room for more players to log-in.

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-realm-population-label-system/76968
    KyleranAxxar

edited September 2019
    Most would agree Classic is doing well and many are enjoying playing, a rare thing these days in MMORPG space. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Axxar

edited September 2019
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Most would agree Classic is doing well and many are enjoying playing, a rare thing these days in MMORPG space. 

Because there less mmorpgs worth playing today than there were in 2004.
    Well, we didn't really had many choices too, back in 2004, beside WoW, Lineage (1), EQ, Ultima ...and maybe I missed some.

The problem today is that we didn't got any big MMOs in the past .. several (?) years and it seems players moved to different types of games andso, big companies are not seeing the genre as profitable as say .. the 2000's. 

And guess what? All we "got", beside the old MMOs, are the "amazing" kickstarer games which (mostly) all of them are even bad, empty or ...Soon(tm) to be released.

So for this situation I ...blame them both:  Players, for supporting kickstarter games & F2P - P2W shitty games, Companies for failing to come up with something good and for trying to copy/paste the "same old, same old".

I said it in the past and i'll say it again. There needs to be a "revolution" in the MMO genre, or else..nothing will change.

Axxar